Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MoneyMachine
    Mobile internet for business use
    • 12th Oct 04, 12:49 AM
    Mobile internet for business use 12th Oct 04 at 12:49 AM
    Anyone use the internet from a laptop whilst out and about??

I'll be doing this soon and was wondering what kind of service to expect and what it will cost.

Expect a lot of travelling sales people already do this.

I was thinking along the lines of the little Vodafone things that plug into your laptop and I think giove wireless 3G internet access - Sure I've seen this advertised somewhere but not sure what everyone else offers and have no idea about what this costs.

So, any advice apprec.
Page 1
    • ohit
    • By ohit 12th Oct 04, 11:41 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ohit
    • 12th Oct 04, 11:41 AM
    Re: Mobile internet for business use
    • 12th Oct 04, 11:41 AM
    Currently I use my mobile (Nokia 7210) using its InfraRed connection with my laptop and connect using Orange GPRS Internet. This costs me about 3 a MegaByte I think or abouts.

It is 2G and limited to a max speed of 28k. In the evenings I use T-mobile CSD connection at an even slower 9.6k, although this doesn't matter much for most business users as connections are done during the day.

I am currently looking at 3G GPRS myself, as it's blazing quick with a good 3G reception (most cities depending on the network).

Orange's 3G GPRS offering can be seen at http://www.orange.co.uk/business/small/moc.html

I can't currently find any details of 3G GPRS on Vodafone's site?, but yeah I have seen similar adverts too.

I live in London so I just expect the latest things to just work with decent enough reception. YMMV depening on where you live.

At the least just get something purely down on cost - Basically, get whatever is cheapest for your type of usage. Even if you don't get a 3G reception, for example, you can still then use a 'normal' 2G GPRS connection.

HTH.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,850Posts Today

7,430Users online

Martin's Twitter