PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2014 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• £74.35 spent so far. I have got a reasonable amount for that. I hope i don't have to buy anything else until this coming weekend now. I think i may have to do a meal plan so that nothing gets wasted.
    marris, your rolls look lovely. I hope you enjoy them.
    Well done to everyone else.
    FS
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    NSD here :) We're having cowboy hash for dinner (recipe is on the front page of this thread) and thanks to this thread I made chicken fried rice for the first time 2 nights ago and everyone loved it :)
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • OOh chicken fried rice - love that and not had it in ages! definitely on the menu THIS week now, especially as I have loads of cooked chicken in the freezer - was going to do soup but might half it and make 2 meals with it. Thanks Sequeena. You're a star.
  • Katey1980
    Katey1980 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Had to get a couple of bits over the weekend to top up the milk, bread and yoghurts. Total spend for Jan so far is £48.98. Had to restock some household essentials, but still not sure if my total is good - this is the first time I've attempted this, and I've got bad habits to unlearn! At least once the first week of Jan is over I'll have a total to try and beat :)

Dinner tonight is left over curry that my boyfriend made last night. I have an extra large chicken roasting in the oven this afternoon that will be sliced/cut/shred up for a stew, stir fry and lunches (sarnies for boyfriend, with pasta for me). I'll attempt to make my own stock from the carcass for the first as well for soup.

I'll need to top up the bread and milk, and possibly a little veg during the week, but definitely don't need meat!
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Our turkey was lovely and we'll get a lot of meals from it. I couldn't resist picking at the skin before I took a photo :rotfl:

bcc17b62-bcd8-47dc-ab18-fbc2b76667c6_zpsa8c4a7ab.jpg
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    marris wrote: »
    just baked some HM rolls for the first time for tonight & tomorrow
    P1011262_zpsfba84ec4.jpg

Well done, they look amazing :j:T
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    the gauntlets are off
    time to use up what i have in the overflowing cupboards instead of buying more..
    have a huge container of basmati rice from costco so DS and I are having fried rice with chicken and chirizo ( all from freezer )
    have a jam sponge steaming away too for pud with come fresh h/m custard
    and No spending today ' ALL enticements via email deleted and i have deleted my paypal details from pre saved ( that made spending online TOO easy )
    onwards we go
    JD xx
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    just lost big post MARRIS recipe and method please those baps look great!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Meal planning done & I only need to buy fruit & veg which I will get tomorrow.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Magpye
    Magpye Posts: 607 Forumite
    Had to pop out today to get a shop as very little left in the house to make meals with - spent £8.17 in L!dl and have £4.43 left on the Sains gift card - still need to get eggs as sold out and we only buy free range.

For £8.17, managed to get honey nut cereal, savoy cabbage, carrots, ham for Himself's rolls, soft cheese, frankfurters, butter and spread, creme fraiche, and a smoked sausage. Few more bits fell into the basket in Sains (including ice cream), but got potatoes, onions, corned beef, frozen stew veg, peas, sweetcorn, frozen fish, GF plain flour and baking bits, ricotta cheese, spinach, fresh rolls, and chopped pork - about £21.05 worth. Should be enough for 2 weeks meals, maybe more if we can stretch by not taking seconds.

Really disappointed with the chicken thigh fillets I defrosted though - very poorly trimmed and ended up throwing half away - but it did make a lovely meal with stock, lentils, onions, garlic and a handful of frozen stew veg and 2tsp of creme fraiche stirred in at the end. :drool:

Tomorrow is gluten free red pepper pizza, using up bits of xmas cheeses.
    "All cruelty springs from weakness" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    Personal pronouns are they/them/their, please.

I'm intolerant of wheat, citrus, grapes, grape products and dried vine fruits, tomato, and beetroot, and I am also somewhat caffeine sensitive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure