'Super Scrabble! Wow!' Blog Discussion

Options

Comments

• MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh yes. I have upwords too. Its good for a scrabble break ;)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • KathrynPenguin
    Options
    Myself and my ex hubby were total scrabble addicts, we played for hours and he had a very limited vocabulary and worse spelling than me but was an excellent tactical player and regularly could beat the pants off me and the family who were all far more superior with words. He would even practice solo agains the playstation. Of course all the practice we got in playing together improved my game to the point where I had learned all his tactics (and all the 2 letter words he had memorised along with all the Q with no U words!) and he could no longer beat me.

Was always fun to play with a novice though - oh those rookie mistakes leaving the triples open.

Both upwords and the new super scrabble sound excellent to me, I just need to find a new scrabble partner!
    The best things in life are NOT free - but they sure are cheaper with MSE!:j
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    Options
    Kathryn - have you tried online Scrabble at Scrabbulous; lots of people to play there :)

Result of Super Scrabble Game 1

The MSE 914 - The MSG 820

YAY!

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Result of Super Scrabble Game 1

The MSE 914 - The MSG 820

YAY!

Martin

She let you win, us women do that. Men make poor losers :p
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    Options
    tunesurfer wrote: »
    Didnt even know there was such a game but it sounds like games could go on for quite a while with double the amount of tiles and a larger board to fill.

Wikipedia seems to think that scores of 800 or more are possible for 2 players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Scrabble

Like someone said i think 800 would be a modest score for super scrabble.
    I used to play with a friend and standard scrabble and our combined score was regularly at least 700 and occasionally was close to 800.

Double the tiles and I'd be confident of scoring at least four figures in every game.....of course i've never played so it may be more difficult than i think!!

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • dragonthoughts
    Options
    The cheapest I've found is Shire Games at £34.99 + postage.

If you live in the Stoke area, then you can walk in to the shop (address on their web site) and buy it direct at the same price.

Declaration of interest:
    I do go to the shop myself, and have found Nick, who runs it helpful and knowledgeable about all sorts of board and card games.
    Always think of a dragon - we're an endangered species!
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    The cheapest I've found is Shire Games at £34.99 + postage.

If you live in the Stoke area, then you can walk in to the shop (address on their web site) and buy it direct at the same price.

Declaration of interest:
    I do go to the shop myself, and have found Nick, who runs it helpful and knowledgeable about all sorts of board and card games.
    Thank you Dragon, was begining to think I would have to start a new thread to get an answer!! Borders is selling it at £39.99, toooo expensive!!

keeping on looking, but my resolve is slipping...you think i'd get away with buying it for my 9 week old baby?
    Morty
    x
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • simons_2
    simons_2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Just got back from holiday where I have been playing Blokus - kind of like Scrabble light in that you just use blocks of different shapes (like Tetris but more of them) to occupy different parts of the board. Simple to learn, a lifetime to master). No word or letter play but a lot of the same sort of principles - highly recommended to any Scrabble players or to those looking to buy a present for one (we played the travel version, Blokus Duo, for two people, but the box had a leaflet for a Classic version that was for 2-4 people. Good fun anyhow a a good strategic challenge...

Have just googled for a link to where you can buy it - under a tenner at Amazon and yes, possibly cheaper elsewhere!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Board-Games-Blokus-Duo/dp/B000C8UYYC/ref=sr_1_2/203-7736790-3351128?ie=UTF8&s=kids&qid=1185891508&sr=1-2

Simon
  • babyd32
    babyd32 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    we love super scrabble!

we bought it from http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/super-scrabble/index.html

it's 34.99 + postage but if you have a look around there's always a discount voucher posted somewhere and if you use quidco there's 11% cash back

hth
  • marcianiqua
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are completely addicted to Super Scrabble! We started off by playing on my Travel Scrabble (regular 100 tiles). He very quickly got hooked and went off and bought a Super Scrabble ... we played that at least 2x a week. And NOW ... he went and found the Super Scrabble Deluxe with the raised grid to keep the tiles from shifting ... OMG! I love it. We are both obsessed with playing and coming up with the highest score ...

Current standings are ... I have the highest game score of 1,028 and the highest single word score of 114 (DIZZIEST, with one "I" being a blank).

I'm so addicted, I even downloaded the game to my phone and when I'm alone, I'll play at least 3 games against the computer. My BF and I keep a game going on the phone so we can squeeze in a few more turns before bedtime. Pretty bad, eh?! Only you serious Scrabble players know what I'm talking about!

Oh, normally we get around 700-800 per game of Super Scrabble.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure