Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    weezl74
    Weezl and friends Phase 2 -giving it a whirl for Shirl! Testing meal plan for a month
    • 5th Apr 10, 6:39 AM
    Weezl and friends Phase 2 -giving it a whirl for Shirl! Testing meal plan for a month 5th Apr 10 at 6:39 AM
    well, good morning and welcome to batch cooking day

this is the day before our lovely brave testers will begin cooking like Bob and Shirley for a month-eeeek

if it would help and people would find it useful, please feel free to post your 'do list' and have the satisfaction of ticking them off

storage: Can I recommend that people take your potatoes and onions out of the plastic packaging and put them in a cardboard box, as this will stop them going slimy. Ideally if you can put them somewhere dark and close the lid of the box that is ideal
    Last edited by weezl74; 05-04-2010 at 6:54 AM.

Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz
    Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
Page 317
    • daphne descends
    • By daphne descends 3rd Aug 10, 4:52 PM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    daphne descends
    Last edited by daphne descends; 07-10-2010 at 11:32 AM.
  • Julimk
    Hi Daphne & welcome.

I lurked for ages, but in the end I couldn’t resist getting more involved, as it is so exciting & the food is amazing (especially at the price!)

Sorry to hear that you can only manage plain food most of the time. Is it just the pregnancy? (Congrats BTW, I only have one & she is starting senior school in September!!)

The new planner should be available on the main site soon, and I am sure there will be some new things you might like to try, even if just dipping in & out. The new design for the recipe page(s) has a specific page for lunches, which should make it easier for you.
  • Julimk
    Hi Susan

Thanks for your suggestion. Have you traced your family tree far back? (I know this is totally OT, but we were told chat was OK!)

After I started looking into it I had an email out of the blue from Antigua, from a chap saying that he thought he had a rellie of mine with him. She was just visiting (we have a WI ancestor in common) & turned out to be my second cousin once removed. We pooled our resources/ findings & were able to progress our shared line quickly from that.

My family was in London in 1841 & barely a dozen families with the same surname at that time & mostly in the clothing trade. Most of the other families are in the County Durham/ North Yorkshire border area. Which is where my family was just 60 years earlier. So I am sure they are all connected!

There is potentially a very famous rellie but still not entirely sure how he fits in. Rudyard followed by a cake brand … His Dad & family before that are also North Yorkshire.
    • SusanC
    • By SusanC 3rd Aug 10, 9:05 PM
    • 5,284 Posts
    • 30,650 Thanks
    SusanC
    Hi Susan

Thanks for your suggestion. Have you traced your family tree far back? (I know this is totally OT, but we were told chat was OK!)

After I started looking into it I had an email out of the blue from Antigua, from a chap saying that he thought he had a rellie of mine with him. She was just visiting (we have a WI ancestor in common) & turned out to be my second cousin once removed. We pooled our resources/ findings & were able to progress our shared line quickly from that.

My family was in London in 1841 & barely a dozen families with the same surname at that time & mostly in the clothing trade. Most of the other families are in the County Durham/ North Yorkshire border area. Which is where my family was just 60 years earlier. So I am sure they are all connected!

There is potentially a very famous rellie but still not entirely sure how he fits in. Rudyard followed by a cake brand … His Dad & family before that are also North Yorkshire.
    Originally posted by Julimk
    I've got 1766 on my Grandad's Dad's side and 1784 on my Grandad's Mum's side. I've got a possible 1836 on my Grandma's Mum's side. Her Dad came from South Africa, died when she was twelve and was of Indian descent so is a bit of a dead end but I did find him on a ship passenger list using a free trial of ancestry.com which says he was born "about 1885". I haven't done anything on my dad's side because my Auntie does it and has as far back as some seven greats grandparents marrying in 1680.
    Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.
    2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
    "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 4th Aug 10, 5:09 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Hi,

I haven't even been lurking recently but thought I would pop in and say hello. I am still working on my business plan. Redrafting over and over for various business advisors. Now I know how my kids felt when I asked them to improve their course work

I have started looking at the dropbox contents, once I established it wasn't something dodgy. Us old people had never heard of it!

We are busy every day until next week then I will try to have a proper look. I had planned to make carrot cake this afternoon but my family have told me to have a break from cooking and DS2 has made a variation on the butternut squash risotto-marrow risotto.
  • Allegra
    Poohbear, Kitty and new thread are now live Come over and say hello on there !
    • nopot2pin
    • By nopot2pin 7th Aug 10, 2:37 AM
    • 5,641 Posts
    • 21,239 Thanks
    nopot2pin
    Poohbear, Kitty and new thread are now live Come over and say hello on there !
    Originally posted by Allegra

Where is this please ?

Sorry, I have been quite busy recently to look
    • nopot2pin
    • By nopot2pin 7th Aug 10, 2:39 AM
    • 5,641 Posts
    • 21,239 Thanks
    nopot2pin
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Its ok.... its HERE
  • pinkie_pie
    Okay I'm stopping by here as I have a quick question relating to this mealplan - I ended up doing the first not the second!

Is there a list on what on the meal plan is to be done on a batch cooking day, and is it the same each week if that makes sense? Food's arriving in a bit and need to decide what needs to be made! Thanks
    • NualaBuala
    • By NualaBuala 7th Sep 10, 3:29 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    NualaBuala
    Okay I'm stopping by here as I have a quick question relating to this mealplan - I ended up doing the first not the second!

Is there a list on what on the meal plan is to be done on a batch cooking day, and is it the same each week if that makes sense? Food's arriving in a bit and need to decide what needs to be made! Thanks
    Originally posted by snowedunderitall
    Hi, I can't answer the question I'm afraid but I don't think this thread is active so try HERE Good luck with the meal plans!
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far!
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 DFW Nerd #1185
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,711Posts Today

7,389Users online

Martin's Twitter