Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    memorygirl
    Memorygirls Make Do and Mend for 2008 Thread
    • 3rd Jan 08, 11:45 AM
    Memorygirls Make Do and Mend for 2008 Thread 3rd Jan 08 at 11:45 AM
    Inserted Intro From Martin....

This is MemoryGirls 'make do and mend' diary. You'll see the first post immediately below, then can scroll down for updates (with others comments in between).

It's a fascinating, fun and inspiring insight into how to go thrifty and Old Style and well worth a read through... thanks for posting it Memory Girl...

PS for people new to forums, a quick abbreviation glossary.

DS - Darling Son
    OD - overdraft
    CC - Credit Card
    LOL - laughs out loud
    OS - MoneySaving Old Style which is all about thrift - see the Old Style Board and Thrifty Ways charity book

Now onto the info..

Hi

Single Mum (38) of a fabulous DS (7) and expecting another DS anytime from the end of February - mid April. (First was waaaay early so Midwifes bit cautious about "due dates")

No partner - hit the road when the line went blue But 2008 is my year to stop settling for what everyone expects me to do (sign on and claim benefits) and start designing the life I want for my wee family - setting myself some scary goals in the process no doubt

I am mostly debt free - I have an expected debt of 6k to appear this year from a business that is being wound up. BUt I now have no OD, CC or consumer debt at all.

I am buying a house on the 31st of Jan - and Gulp!!! - it is in a real state. Now don't panic because what I have done for the last 10 years is develop property for our family business, so I'm not afraid of the work. Of course having the bump in the middle of a refurb will be quite a challenge - and this one has to be funded entirely from my own pocket.

There is about 50K profit in this development (no- really ). Gain mostly due to installing the basics - central heating, fixing roof, new kitchen and bathrooms and complete redecoration ( place looks like been decorated by colour blind toddler - LOL). I aim to sell this place in 2008 in order to carry forward a chunk of equity into a "forever house" for my family with a much reduced mortgage.

This year will be waaaaaaaaaaayyyy tight cashflow wise. So my decision is to set myself a " make do and mend" challenge. To save money by being as OS as possible as I make the move from a few years living with my parents to being back out my own.

Heres where I am so far:

1 Jan Started a "control journal" - a la Flylady Target date to complete 19 Jan
    2 Jan Raked through attic to find old wool of mums for making Baby clothes DONE
    3 Jan Downloaded pattern for baby blanket to crochet. 25 patches Target date to complete 28th Jan

I figure that if I can keep skipping forward for 365 days of mini- goals by the end of the year I will have changed our lives beyond recognition.

Any tips and advice gratefully appreciated - I'm going to be on my own here cos my folks are not OS in the least. They love eating my OS food but as soon as I go it will be back to the packets they uesed to live on I'm sure.

PLEASE - come with me on this journey as my cheerleaders / b****m kickers and treasured advisors.

Baby steps for 2008

Memolrygir

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 24-06-2008 at 6:10 PM.
Page 14
    • oldMcDonald
    • By oldMcDonald 18th Aug 09, 2:16 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    oldMcDonald
    Yes! Please, please do come back and play!!

So pleased every time I see this thread *ping* up in my subs list

• Keiss 21
    Hya,

Just discovered this thread today and I have spent a few hours reading it all through. You are a real inspiration Memorygirl!!!

I have been off work for over 8 months now due to illness, and am ashamed to report that I have hardly done anything except play electronic games....and come on MSE ofcourse! Admittedly the medication I am still on has left me a bit do-lally and unable to concentrate very well.

I too was very good at "making do and mending" when my sons were small 16 years ago (mainly due to DH having an 8% pay CUT when DS2 was due...aaargh!). I used a lovely shop on the way onto town, set up by some local mum's, which sold second-hand baby & children clothes, as well as other bits'n'pieces. I had an "account" there, where money went in when clothes I had brought in had sold (minus 10% which went to the shop owners). So I would bring in a batch which DS2 had grown out of (very quickly!) and if some of my stuff had sold, I would be able to get something "new" for the boys, with that money. They loved going into that shop! It was a really good scheme and I certainly used it well.

I am reasonably good at sewing, knitting etc as well as doing up furniture, but am ashamed to report that we have bought a new kitchen from Ikea..it is my first "proper kitchen" as I call it, but perhaps we should have bought second-hand, though I do love my new kitchen!! In my defence, I have had make-do-and-mend kitchens for the past 26 years, having to alter other people's kitchens every time. I did think about trying to find second-hand bits and pieces to fit our awkward kitchen, but being ill, I wasn't really up to it. I know it is a lame excuse, but the unit holding the belfast sink (badly marked now, but will re-use it else where) was disintegrating fast and we needed to replace it quickly (DH made it 14 years ago, so it lasted well!). We were only going to get a sink base-unit, but things (and the budget) just grew! DH is putting it all in (slowly) and is fitting a lovely oak worktop (again Ikea), using of-cuts to make shelves
    Still, the whole kitchen so far has cost us under 2000 (including paint and floor vinyl - an eBay snip). A lot I suppose, but I am getting the cupboards that I want, which fit in our big wonky (and low) kitchen. We do have 3 chairs (Freecycle) waiting for me to clean, sand and paint cream - yup, me too Memorygirl. I have only to find a table for the kitchen (I am eying up DS1's table - 15 from Sue Ryder charity shop last year), though DH and I are having a disagreement as to whether to have a gate-leg or a solid table-top. Now we are waiting to see what space there will be once everything has been moved to their final place...still
    a bit of turmoil in the kitchen!

I will investigate the flylady web-site another day, as I have been on this computer too long today. I have been getting up regularly and talking to both DSs, so not too bad, but I am still in my dressing gown...aaargh!

Off to get washed and dressed before DH gets home!

This thread has definitely got me thinking about things...glad you are back Memorygirl, do let us know what you have been up to in the past year.

PS I am married to a "Lang-toon lad!! Only Fifers will understand this!!

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • pixieface
    great to see you back memorygirl you have been missed !
    pixie x
  • zarazara
    YAHEYYYYYYYYYYYYY MEMOREYGIRL IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I soooooo love this thread
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness"
    • Liz_M
    • By Liz_M 19th Aug 09, 1:52 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Liz_M
    Yay!!! The arrival we've all been waiting for
    I hope you get back to your long posts like you used to MemoryGirl, they're really interesting.
    I moved into a new flat a few months ago, and it came partly furnished but we couldn't afford new furniture, so I got a few bits and pieces from freecycle, one was a chest of drawers with the paint all peeling off it, so I sanded it and painted it.... never done anything like it before but was inspired by this thread And it turned out really well, a few people who've been to the house even wanted to buy it I'm only 21 and I don't think a lot of people my age are into doing things like that, so thank you memorygirl for inspiring me to do it! Might even have to put a picture of it on here sometime.
    Anywayyy good to have you back and I look forward to reading your posts
    • tara747
    • By tara747 22nd Aug 09, 12:23 AM
    • 10,235 Posts
    • 26,908 Thanks
    tara747
    I absolutely love this thread memorygirl, you are an inspiration.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save 132,000 by 31 Dec 2018! 2011: 54,342 * 2012: 62,200 * 2013: 74,127 * 2014: 84,839 * 2015: 95,207 * 2016: 109,122 * 2017: 121,733 * 2018: 136,565
    eBay sales - 4,559.89 Cashback - 2,309.73
    • January20
    • By January20 26th Aug 09, 11:27 AM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 10,901 Thanks
    January20
    I'm another one eagerly waiting for MemoryGirl's next update

In the meantime, I have made her marmalade recipe. Very easy and I now have 4 "Bonne Maman" jam jars full of marmalade cooling on my window sill. The smell that filled my flat as it cooked was fantastic. I'm planning to make it as part of Christmas presents this year
    LBM: August 2006 12,568.49 - DFD 22nd March 2012
    "The road to DF is long and bumpy" GreenSaints
  • prudenttadpole
    A true diamond memorygirl!
    • LOUBOB
    • By LOUBOB 29th Sep 09, 3:15 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    LOUBOB
    Hi all, just found this great thread after searching for a baked bean recipe! Looking forward to trying that one.....I am too trying to keep up with this thread now, along side training as a flybaby so my decluttering is well on its way....its all good fun......loving this thread very inspirational thanks!
    DFW 1108 Proud to be dealing with my debts

2014Is Going to be the Year...for love...
    • mommyof4
    • By mommyof4 1st Oct 09, 5:31 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 2,271 Thanks
    mommyof4
    Hi is this thread still going? I noticed memorygirl hasn't been on in a few days, just wondering if it's been moved somewhere else? hope not. It's truly inspiring.
    (vegetarian & vegan family: me, DH, DS11 & DS 7, 3 dogs and 3 cats (not veggie )
    Sealed pot challenge No 020
    challenge 5: [part 2] 426.09!!
    challenge 6: 272.14
    challenge 7: (target 500)
    Dont forget the birds - feed them your scraps
    • spidystrider
    • By spidystrider 21st Oct 09, 9:38 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    spidystrider
    I wish you would keep posting memory girl. I have read the whole thread now and it's been very interesting, would love to hear more.
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at 151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015
    • pagangirl
    • By pagangirl 25th Oct 09, 6:09 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 3,749 Thanks
    pagangirl
    Hi - Memorygirl we all missed you soooooo much, it was great to see you returning to this thread - please don't leave us again !!!! You are an inspiriation - I have really missed this thread, can't wait for next update !
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on

• Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 25th Oct 09, 6:24 PM
    • 24,851 Posts
    • 28,923 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Memorygirl has posted on the DFW board in the last few days, so I am sure she will return!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • Rummer
    • By Rummer 26th Oct 09, 7:13 PM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    Rummer
    Hope to see you back soon Memorygirl!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
    • spidystrider
    • By spidystrider 27th Oct 09, 11:13 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    spidystrider
    Memorygirl has posted on the DFW board in the last few days, so I am sure she will return!
    Originally posted by Fire Fox
    I think we should go and round her up and drag her back here

She is letting down her fan club.
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at 151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 28th Oct 09, 6:51 PM
    • 10,486 Posts
    • 38,154 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Originally posted by Fire Fox
    If you click on her name on the lefthand side next to her first (or any) post you can get a list of Memorygirl's most recent posts - the last is listed as being in July 2008 :confused:
    Last edited by luxor4t; 28-10-2009 at 6:53 PM.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 28th Oct 09, 9:01 PM
    • 24,851 Posts
    • 28,923 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    If you click on her name on the lefthand side next to her first (or any) post you can get a list of Memorygirl's most recent posts - the last is listed as being in July 2008 :confused:
    Originally posted by luxor4t
    Check who wrote post 259 and when they joined.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,108Posts Today

6,477Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin