Can you stop Universal Credit yourself?

So I have recently had to sign up for universal credit havnt received my first payment yet and just wondered can you close it down at any point yourself after finding work or are you stuck with it until you find a job they deem suitable. I've been told it goes on how much you earn not how many hours however I am good with my money, live with my family and when I did work which was up until September last year coped with national minimum doing up to 20 hours. If I did find say a 16 hour job could I just say I dont want extra help and come off it or would they refuse.

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can phone 0800 328 5644 and close a UC claim when you want to. But remember that if you close the claim before end of assessment period, you will not receive any UC payment for that month.

One you find work, you simply log into your UC claim online and report a change under work and earnings that you are working. Your employers will report your earnings information to HMRC which UC will also receive and the UC claim will be closed when the earnings mean that a UC award statement is NIL.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Can you stop a claim after the assessment period?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Jesse1993 wrote: »
    Can you stop a claim after the assessment period?

Whenever you stop a claim it's going to be within an assessment period. The point huckster is making is that you will be paid no UC for the assessment period in which you withdraw the claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ok thanks. I was under the assumption I was on universal credit whether I liked it or not like a contract till i found a job the job centre deemed right. I'm really not bothered about losing extra money or other benefits like dentist etc.
  • yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    If you're on UC and already have a job of 16h per week, you'll likely be placed in the "light touch" regime. This means you are left alone to keep job searching to find more work. You would ordinarily be expected to look for work of up to 35 hours a week. But the thing is, a single person will probably have their UC cancelled way before 35h anyway - it depends on your individual circumstances. It's happened to me several times, my hours at work fluctuate so one month I might average 16h per week and I get a part payment, but the following month I earn too much and my UC pays nothing.

If I were you I would stay on the UC and see what happens. You'll probably only have to go in once to show your ID and bank account details, once to talk with your work coach, and then not have to go back in anymore. You'll have your online account where you can talk to them anyway.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Jesse1993 wrote: »
    Ok thanks. I was under the assumption I was on universal credit whether I liked it or not like a contract till i found a job the job centre deemed right. I'm really not bothered about losing extra money or other benefits like dentist etc.

Universal Credit is a benefit you choose to claim. If you choose to claim it then you enter into a contract by accepting commitments based around your circumstances and what you will agree to do in exchange for receiving any Universal Credit payments.

If you don't wish to claim Universal Credit, you don't have to. It's your choice and no one can force you to claim something you don't want to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure