Moral advice required :)

Evening !

I left it too late and engaged a claims company to look into any PPI I might have had (I know, I know)

I gave all previous addresses etc and all but 2x institutions came back negative

So. My quandary is now that I know which institutions they are, is there any reason (aside from being morally suspect) why I shouldn't just apply directly? Both of the institutions wrote to me directly within the last month requesting I fill in the requisite forms, and on that form it asks whether a 3rd party is applying on my behalf

Does the fact that the deadline has passed render me doing it myself not an option?

I will make the decision as to whether my conscience will allow this based on the responses here :D

Thank you

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Does the fact that the deadline has passed render me doing it myself not an option?

If the deadline has passed it has passed irrespective of whether you do it yourself or pay a third party to attempt to do it.
  • So. My quandary is now that I know which institutions they are, is there any reason (aside from being morally suspect) why I shouldn't just apply directly? Both of the institutions wrote to me directly within the last month requesting I fill in the requisite forms, and on that form it asks whether a 3rd party is applying on my behalf
    I think you'll find you're already signed up to a legally binding contract with the claims firm. Any attempt to circumvent this by now complaining alone will still result in a bill from the claims firm because you've already signed an authority for them to represent you. The Bank will simply copy in the firm to any responses you receive and failure to pay them will result in court action.

It's not a question of "morality"...

The time for new complaints has certainly passed, but you are still allowed to complain because you engaged the Claim Company to make enquiries prior to the deadline.
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    If the deadline has passed it has passed irrespective of whether you do it yourself or pay a third party to attempt to do it.
    See above, this does not apply in the OP's case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure