TUI plane seat reservation

Options

Comments

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    daveleics wrote: »
    Am I the only one in thinking that TUIs plane seat reservation policy is a complete scam? .......

The fear of not sitting next to your family is the driving factor here as everyone feels compelled to reserve their seats. .........

Utter tosh unless you're a young child or a bit 'special snowflake'.

To answer your question - quite probably yes!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    pingu wrote: »
    i have never paid and never will
    i always arrive early so check in staff have no excuse only once was told we are going to be separated cos they were waiting if customers may pay to sit together wife(very nervous flyer) just said no way she was sitting on her own they called the supervisor who said ok but if there is a paying customer we might have to move(once boarding card issued how they were going to do that)

So you won't pay to sit together even though your wife is a 'very nervous flyer) but would be ok with someone who has paid to be moved to accommodate you both?
    Nice attitude you have there.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pingu wrote: »
    i have never paid and never will
    i always arrive early so check in staff have no excuse only once was told we are going to be separated cos they were waiting if customers may pay to sit together wife(very nervous flyer) just said no way she was sitting on her own they called the supervisor who said ok but if there is a paying customer we might have to move(once boarding card issued how they were going to do that)

i have noticed even schedule airlines started to charge if you want to pick a seat.

with thomas cook it depends on holiday package in june we got to pick the seat and 20kg luggage but last week we didnt and standard 15kg.

my tip is arrive as early as you can also if lounge is booked you want to make most of it!

Who checks in at the airport anymore? I’m haven’t done that in a long time and I fly 5 or 6 times a year. Online check in with either my preselected seats or allow the airline to select for free.

Therefore those checking in at the airport will be left with very few options I would imagine if they have not preselected.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    pattycake wrote: »
    Who checks in at the airport anymore? I’m haven’t done that in a long time and I fly 5 or 6 times and year. Online check in with either my preselected seats or allow the airline to select for free.

Therefore those checking in at the airport will be left with very few options I would imagine if they have not preselected.
    On a recent flight, despite online check-in being available 48 hours before flight departure, the queue for people who'd checked in on-line was much smaller than the one for people checking in at the airport.
    I was surprised.
  • bradders1983
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    On a recent flight, despite online check-in being available 48 hours before flight departure, the queue for people who'd checked in on-line was much smaller than the one for people checking in at the airport.
    I was surprised.

On my most recent trip to the airport I arrived at Manchester at 3.30am to find the "Bag Drop" desks didnt open until 4am.

So joined the main queue...and only got "served" at 4.10am. Would have been quicker waiting for bag drop to open !!!!!! :mad:
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    So you won't pay to sit together even though your wife is a 'very nervous flyer) but would be ok with someone who has paid to be moved to accommodate you both?
    Nice attitude you have there.
    Yeah, it's like disabled pensioners who get on buses free and then expect people who paid to give up their seats :eek:
  • Pollycat
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Yeah, it's like disabled pensioners who get on buses free and then expect people who paid to give up their seats :eek:

I don't think it's anything like that.
    Free bus travel is a concession available to all over state pension age.
    If you're 65 and travelling on a bus, you don't choose not to pay for your journey.
    I've always given up my seat on a bus to someone less able to stand.
    I don't have the same attitude towards those people on a plane who won't pay for seats but expect others who maybe have paid to move to accommodate them.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I don't think it's anything like that.
    Free bus travel is a concession available to all over state pension age.
    If you're 65 and travelling on a bus, you don't choose not to pay for your journey.
    Of course you choose. If you left your pass at home and paid the driver do you think they'd refuse the money?
    I've always given up my seat on a bus to someone less able to stand.
    I don't have the same attitude towards those people on a plane who won't pay for seats but expect others who maybe have paid to move to accommodate them.
    Why, what's the difference? The principle is identical. I'll always move for someone who needs my seat more than I do, whether that be a small child who needs to sit next to his Mum, whether it's a disabled pensioner who needs a seat, whether it's a nervous flyer or someone with a mental disability who finds it hard sitting with strangers, whether on a bus, plane, train or any other form of public transport. Regardless of who paid what.

If you think it's right these people should have to pay more on flights to have their needs met, why not on other forms of public transport?
  • Pollycat
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Of course you choose. If you left your pass at home and paid the driver do you think they'd refuse the money?Why, what's the difference? The principle is identical. I'll always move for someone who needs my seat more than I do, whether that be a small child who needs to sit next to his Mum, whether it's a disabled pensioner who needs a seat, whether it's a nervous flyer or someone with a mental disability who finds it hard sitting with strangers, whether on a bus, plane, train or any other form of public transport. Regardless of who paid what.

If you think it's right these people should have to pay more on flights to have their needs met, why not on other forms of public transport?

You really don't choose to leave your bus pass at home. The only reason you'd have to pay is if you forgot to take it. That's not choosing to pay.
    The rules on bus passes are very clear.

As for paying for seats together on buses, that simply doesn't exist.
    It does on planes.
    If you need to be sat together on a plane for whatever reason, you should pay and not expect others to be moved to suit you.
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    You really don't choose to leave your bus pass at home. The only reason you'd have to pay is if you forgot to take it. That's not choosing to pay.
    The rules on bus passes are very clear.
    But getting a bus pass is very much a choice - as you have to apply. I know many people who qualify, but choose not to have one.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport