Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk

Comments

• WPG
    WPG Posts: 24 Forumite
    LC Energy have lowered the price of a full pallet of Brites from £275 to £255, making them the cheapest price that I can find online for Brites. (Next best is currently £256.16 direct from Brites)

Slight increase in the price of Firepower from White Horse Energy, from £215 to £219 a pallet

(sorry, not able to post links)
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    here are the links
    WPG wrote: »
    LC Energy have lowered the price of a full pallet of Brites from £275 to £255, making them the cheapest price that I can find online for Brites. (Next best is currently £256.16 direct from Brites)
    http://lcenergy.co.uk/product/balcas-brites-wood-pellets/

Slight increase in the price of Firepower from White Horse Energy, from £215 to £219 a pallet
    http://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/Wood-Pellets/Firepower/Firepower
  • thozza
    White Horse Energy are now selling an 'unbranded' pellet, which holds BSL authorisation, but does not have ENPlus A1 certification, although they claim that the pellets do comply with the ENPlus A1 specification.

White Horse Energy
    Source - Unknown
    Weight on pallet - 975kg
    Price per pallet - £205.00
    Price per tonne - £210.26
    Price per Kilowatt - £0.0438 (based on a nominal 4.8Kw/kg)
  • thozza
    edited 30 August 2015 at 11:19PM
    Another online supplier with their own branded pellets, certified to EN Plus-A1 standards, and BSL Authorised.

Swift Energy
    Source - Unknown
    Weight on pallet - 975kg
    Price per pallet - £249.00
    Price per tonne - £255.38
    Price per Kilowatt - £0.0532 (based on a nominal 4.8Kw/kg)
  • thozza
    I was intrigued by the comments that LukasMc made earlier in the thread about the differences in energy content between suppliers, so I have done a bit of digging, and unearthed some interesting figures.

The band of difference in the for ENplus A1 pellets in EN 14961-2 is between 4.6kWh/kg and 5.3kWh/kg, meaning that pellets complying with the standard could vary in energy content by more than 15%.

The below suppliers are on the UK market and I have attempted to find the published energy content of their pellets (in descending order), the source of the information is stated, but this is a best effort only, I make no warranty as to the information.

Baltic Biogran Sia
    Brand - Baltic Biogran
    Energy content - 5.0kWh/kg (source: Baltic Biogran website)
    ID-Nr. LV 007
    LV-1015 Riga Latvia
    www.balticbiogran.lv

AKZ Ltd.
    Brand - AKZ & ownbrands - 5.0kWh/kg (source: AKZ website)
    ID-Nr. LV 001
    01048 Riga Latvia
    www.akz.lv

PelTrade!Ltd
    Brand - Sparklets - 4.9kWh/kg (source: Peltrade website)
    ID-Nr. RU 004
    175461 Krestcy Russia
    www.peltrade.com

Laois Sawmill Ltd
    Brand- Greenwood - 4.9kWh/kg (source: Laios Sawmill)
    ID-Nr. IE 001
    Ballymacken, Co. Laois
    www.laoissawmills.ie

Clifford Jones Timber
    Brand- Blazers - 4.9kWh/kg (source: Clifford Jones website)
    ID-Number. UK003
    LL15 2TN Ruthin North Wales
    www.blazersfuels.co.uk

Verdo Renewables Ltd
    Brand- Verdo - 4.8kWh/kg (source: Woodfuel Coop & Oxford Renewables websites)
    ID-Number: UK001
    SP10 3XW Andover
    www.verdorenewables.co.uk

Balcas Timber Ltd.
    Brand - Brites - 4.8kWh/kg (source: Balcas website)
    ID-Number: UK002
    Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, BT94 2FQ
    www.brites.eu

Land Energy Girvan Ltd
    Brand- Woodlets - 4.7kWh/kg (source: presentation on Land Energy website)
    ID-Number: UK004
    Girvan, Ayrshire, KA26 9PF
    www.land-energy.com

Puffin Pellets
    Brand - Puffin - 4.6kWh/kg (source: Puffin Pellets)
    ID-Nr. UK 005
    Insch, AB52 6XP
    www.puffinpellets.com
  • cancunia
    cancunia Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 September 2015 at 11:46AM
    Many thanks to everyone that's added info to this thread, it's been very helpful. Maybe someone in MSE could produce a comparison website for wood pellets & biomass? Doing so may well increase the competition between suppliers. Perhaps one exists already in the UK, but apart from this thread the only one I've seen is in the US.

One aspect that I'm curious about is customer service. I'm tempted to use White Horse as they look to have the best prices and their web site is well constructed / informative, plus I got a very quick email response about the availability of 'Fire Power' pellets (back again tonight apparently). Does anyone have views on WHE, or others for that matter?
  • thozza
    cancunia wrote: »
    Many thanks to everyone that's added info to this thread, it's been very helpful. Maybe someone in MSE could produce a comparison website for wood pellets & biomass? Doing so may well increase the competition between suppliers. Perhaps one exists already in the UK, but apart from this thread the only one I've seen is in the US.

Funny you should mention that, I came across this site at the weekend:-

http://woodpelletguide.uk/

Which seems to have a fair number of suppliers prices on it, does not seem to have any commercial links either.
  • cancunia
    cancunia Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 September 2015 at 2:08PM
    That site looks interesting and does also look to be mostly free from commercial links apart from some brief references to a local heating firm that the site builder used. It's an excellent starting off point all the same.

Looks like prices are on the rise though, 'Luxury Wood Co' prices have jumped from what looks to be £219 on the woodpellet guide site to £259 on the LWC site for a pallet of Baltic Biogran pellets, which are from the same place as WHE Platinum + pellets.

Update:
    I called LWC after seeing their prices had risen, it seems that £219 was yesterday's price for 'Baltic Biogran' and they are now offering 'AKZ' at £219. I guess the Woodpellet guide will reflect this tomorrow. AKZ come from the same supplier as WHE 'Fire Power' so a maybe the same thing.
  • In case anyone's interested, you can use this code for a 5% discount (I get a credit on my account too apparently). The code can be used at stage 4 of the checkout process.

WayKei16152

or follow this link..

http://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/coupon?code=WayKei16152

• WPG
    WPG Posts: 24 Forumite
    Wood Pellet Guide is the site I'm currently building. it's still under construction but the main price comparison section is working well and I think covers most of the major UK suppliers.

I'm hoping to add some more features (supplier/pellet reviews, more technical data etc) in the near future, but it's an entirely non-commercial project that I work on in my spare time, so progress isn't always quite as rapid as i'd like.

Would welcome any comments or suggestions that anyone has (good or bad!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure