Winter fuel payment petition

Comments

• sh1305 wrote: »
    What you've said is incorrect:
    DLA isn't means tested and you can claim it and work at the same.
    IS is means tested and only certain people can claim it.

You're right! I meant to type SDA (now defunct to new applicants)/IC/ESA
  • DX2 wrote: »
    Not a simple yes or no I'm afraid! Do you get pension credit?
    No I dont get pension credit, I was just inquiring.
  • CWP (cold weather payment) are a means-tested weekly payment made when temperatures fall below 0c for 7 days. WFP (Winter Fuel Payment) is the £250 lump sum payout made to all people over 60 regardless of income and this is what the OP refers to.

(just to clear up any confusion re. the two)
  • mellc
    mellc Posts: 48 Forumite
    sh1305 wrote: »
    CWP is means tested. It's the winter fuel payments that aren't means tested.

Sorry thats what i meant, so why isn't WFP means tested? in fact the CWP which is means tested would involve 10 weeks of zero conditions before we would get the same amount, or in the case of a couple 16 weeks, and while i'm asking questions why does a couple get more than a single person, do they not both feel the same heat?
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    WFP isn't means tested for 2 reasons.

1st is because it would be more expensive if means tested and 2nd because the basic pension is so poor and this is a way of improving it.

Plus the government like to point out that a lot of help is given with heating costs for pensioners. Many thousands of old people die of hypothermia each winter. There were 2 just last week dying in a freezing house. Most pensioners aren't as benefit aware as you computer savvy folks who have access to sites like this. Please don't begrudge them £5 a week.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    krisskross wrote: »

1st is because it would be more expensive if means tested and 2nd because the basic pension is so poor and this is a way of improving it.

Isn't that what pension credit is for?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • krisskross
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Isn't that what pension credit is for?

Not all pensioners can claim pension credit. Take up of benefits is poor in the older age group........many still see it as charity. Even those entitled to pension credit or savings credit may not be claiming it but because WFP is non means tested and universal then most pensioners are happy with this.

Child benefit is non means tested and universal to all parents. Why aren't you all saying you should get this as well? Whether you meet the criteria or not.

Everyone can't have everything. Benefits for disabled people have increased far more than those for pensioners. Is there no sense of 'thank goodness I live in a country that helps those unable to help themselves'?
  • mellc
    mellc Posts: 48 Forumite
    krisskross wrote: »

Plus the government like to point out that a lot of help is given with heating costs for pensioners. Many thousands of old people die of hypothermia each winter. There were 2 just last week dying in a freezing house. Most pensioners aren't as benefit aware as you computer savvy folks who have access to sites like this. Please don't begrudge them £5 a week.

i wouldn't be grudge anybody that needs £5.00 a week, my bone of contention is the 100's of pensioners that are extremly wealthy. Our DLA is poorer than a state pension! i don't see how it would cost more than it would save to make this payment means tested. And obviously if people are still dying in freezing houses this WFP isn't working anyway!
  • krisskross
    edited 13 January 2010 at 11:14PM
    mellc wrote: »
    i wouldn't be grudge anybody that needs £5.00 a week, my bone of contention is the 100's of pensioners that are extremly wealthy. Our DLA is poorer than a state pension! i don't see how it would cost more than it would save to make this payment means tested. And obviously if people are still dying in freezing houses this WFP isn't working anyway!

But you don't only get DLA do you? I would expect you get other benefits as well. My sole state funded income is £230 a month pension plus of course £2.50 a week from the WFP.

Of course it is more expensive to award payments by means testing, and there would be the elderly who do not apply.

I am sure you would class us as not being in actual need of the WFP, but that is because we have worked for many decades and saved. i am also sure there will be many who receive DLA who do not financially need it but have it anyway. Perhaps DLA should be means tested also?
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 January 2010 at 10:51PM
    I would like to point out that many people who live in warmer climes do NOT qualify for the Winter Fuel payment. You only get it if you qualified in the Uk before you went to live abroad (i.e. if you were over 60). You don't get it if you went abroad before you were 60.

And anyway Spain IS cold in the winter. We have had freezing winds and snow this last two weeks.

As regards disabled getting the allowance, I can only agree with what others have said, that DLA and other Benenfits are there to cover that.

(I do NOT get the Winter Fuel payment as I am still (just) under 60 and neither does my husband who is nearly 61 as he has not qualified for it in the UK).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure