Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 8
    • DavetheDog
    • By DavetheDog 5th Feb 19, 8:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    DavetheDog
    Half a million ????
    So, with the case in mind that the trading standards are bringing to court against all the persons known to us I have been doing a bit of digging today, and been looking at information on Town & County Law at Companies House. This is purely speculative, but I noticed that the profits / losses from 2016 and 2017 are of a similar amount, around the £60k figure. However 2017 shows a huge amount of £502,582 of ‘administrative expenses’, whilst this was only £26,448 for the previous year. Could this be where some of the alleged money laundering has been going on? The information is freely available to anyone to look at on the Companies House website, you can see all the companies the Mr.Pratt ( haha) has been a director of and how all the other defendants are also registered as directors of the same companies. There seems to be several, all linked to each other by the same registered addresses and directors.
    I don’t profess to know much about money laundering but I reckon a better way around it would probably be to use different names and addresses rather than tying yourselves together with the same piece of string.
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 5th Feb 19, 9:35 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    The charges against each of the seven defendants have to still to be finalised but I have received clarification that a charge against one defendant under the Proceeds of Crime Act is not for confiscation of monies from the proceeds of crime but is a charge of money laundering under the the same Act of Parliament.

If there was to be confiscation, such an order would be applied for (only following conviction) and could be against any defendants who have profited from crime. If any monies that the Court may order to be repaid and which are not repaid, that defendant could be sent to prison (or have his/her prison sentence extended) and would still be liable to pay those monies upon release from prison.

I think they may help to answer one question posed by DavetheDog..
    Originally posted by Paul Varjak
    There is a complication in relation to any bankrupt that the Court may wish to make an order of confiscation against and, in this case. one solicitor declared bankruptcy himself (debtors bankruptcy) This was before the Trading Standards court case and even before he was ordered to be struck off the Solicitors Roll incurring £143,000 of costs.(albeit on a joint and several basis)

Any assets owned by that now ex-solicitor, should now be in possession of the trustees of bankruptcy but they would be used to pay off creditors that existed at the time of the bankruptcy. By definition, A person declaring bankruptcy must have insufficient assets to pay his debts. That means there should be no money in the pot to pay the SRA costs; so the SRA would pursue the other De Vita Platt Solicitors partner for the full £143,000 costs allowed for in the SDT judgment on a joint and several basis.

Now what happens if the court in the Trading Standards case wanted to make a confiscation order against the bankrupt solicitor? Well, as I understand it, the Proceeds of Crime Act does allow for confiscation orders to be made if it is believed the defendant has hidden assets. So, it may be possible to make a confiscation order against the solicitor, even though his self-declared bankruptcy means his liabilities should exceed his assets.

The Insolvency Service may also believe the self-declared bankrupt solicitor also has hidden assets and, if so, may initiate an investigation to determine if there are hidden assets and where the assets are. The solicitor in this case who has declared bankruptcy is subject to an investigation which, I assume, is for this very reason.

It's all a very tangled web that will take a lot of unravelling and would, almost certainly require co-operation between Trading Standards and the trustee in bankruptcy. If any Police investigation also results in charges then the CPS may also want a confiscation order from the judge for any proceeds of crime so that would mean co-operation between three parties.
    Last edited by Paul Varjak; 05-02-2019 at 11:43 PM.
    • MR Blg
    • By MR Blg 6th Feb 19, 7:30 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    MR Blg
    Thank you Paul , the time you have put into collating all that information is greatly appreciated.

I was wondering what would happen given the fact that Mr Devita is now bankrupt. The fact that Mr Platt may become liable for the full amount of the costs incurred for the intervention etc has just brought a smile to my face. However what action would the SRA take if he did not pay the costs , what clout do they have to be able to retrieve them ?

As you stated ,the events that are now unfolding, impending court case and maybe Police action for other matters this does appear to be a tangled web, and not one that will have an early conclusion I suspect.
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 6th Feb 19, 9:08 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Thank you Paul , the time you have put into collating all that information is greatly appreciated.

I was wondering what would happen given the fact that Mr Devita is now bankrupt. The fact that Mr Platt may become liable for the full amount of the costs incurred for the intervention etc has just brought a smile to my face. However what action would the SRA take if he did not pay the costs , what clout do they have to be able to retrieve them ?

As you stated ,the events that are now unfolding, impending court case and maybe Police action for other matters this does appear to be a tangled web, and not one that will have an early conclusion I suspect.
    Originally posted by MR Blg
    I don't think the SRA has any special powers to recover their costs and I don't think they would be a 'preferential creditor'. So, I assume, they attempt to recover costs in a similar way to other creditors (e.g, debt collectors and, following a court judgment using Court Enforcement Officers) though I don't really know. Ultimately though, they certainly have the power to make an application to the Court for the debtors bankruptcy if amounts remain unpaid. I expect that if bankruptcy was necessary in order to get their monies, the SRA would want to get a bankruptcy order before conclusion of any trial that could result in a confiscation order. By doing that, the SRA would, in effect, manage to leapfrog De Vita Platt's aggrieved clients who would be hoping for a Confiscation Order following conviction at a trial.

But I also think that clients of De Vita Platt who could not get recovery of their losses from the partners of De Vita Platt, could then make make application to the SRA compensation fund. But that assumes those aggrieved clients were, in effect, clients of the SRA-regulated firm. If those clients were merely clients of a company not regulated by the SRA and any losses could not be attributed to De Vita Platt Solicitors then there is a problem for clients in recovering their losses.
    Last edited by Paul Varjak; 06-02-2019 at 9:19 PM.
    Any opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 7th Feb 19, 10:59 AM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    I have seen information posted on another forum from someone that works for the prison service. It gives quite an enlightening account of what it is like going to jail. It was actually written for the benefit of another solicitor facing criminal charges of benefit fraud. Unfortunately that forum is now closed to new members so I will ask for permission to reproduce it here.
    Originally posted by Paul Varjak
    The author of that article has now given me permission to reproduce it here. It has been slightly edited to remove the name of the solicitor who was the subject matter of the article. That Solicitor's trial is due to commence later this year and he is charged with Benefit Fraud by the Department of Work and Pensions, who are also the prosecutors.

I’ve recently been on many wings of a lot of UK jails (in a professional capacity, not the wrong side of the heavy blue doors) so thought I’d give some advice on how to behave if convicted and incarcerated:

1. Upon sentencing you will be taken down to the cells at the Court to await transport to the jail where you will begin your sentence. You might have to wait for several hours in this cell as the vans wait for the end of the court day to take everyone destined for each jail. It isn’t a taxi.

2. Upon arrival at the jail in the ‘bread van’ you will pass through Reception where you will be photographed and issued your ID card. You will then be strip searched (they are looking for drugs, phones and sim cards and they will look through your mass of hair….), your clothing will be taken away and you will be issued with a grey or blue tracksuit, some T shirts and your bedding.

3. As by now it’s quite late in the day, you will be given whatever food is left and a starter pack of basics for your first night.

4. Your first few weeks might well be at a prison local to the Court until you complete the induction process. That’s designed to be in especially primitive conditions so that you fall into line and get a transfer to a normal wing or another jail as soon as possible. If you resist the process you will rot on the induction wing forever and have a very unpleasant time. You will be sharing a cell and most likely locked up for 23 hours a day.

5. All new inmates see the doctor for the obligatory medical assessment. They’ve heard and seen literally everything before. Be sure to get the doctor to issue any essential prescriptions to the prison pharmacy at this point otherwise you might not get them for a long time. You will not be allowed stocks of pharmaceuticals ‘in possession’ – you will have to queue up at specific times at the pharmacy hatch to get the specific dose the doctor has determined. Don’t whine to the pharmacy staff, they have many ways to stuff you up.

6. You will also be interviewed by an officer trained to assess new prisoners. They want to know what you’re in for, whether you’ve been in prison before, have an alcohol or drugs dependency, have racist views, have been in the military, and are at risk from self-harm. Some of this is to decide with whom you will share a cell for your induction period.

7. It’s best to avoid being classified as a Vulnerable Prisoner (VP). Whatever the reason for their classification and segregated accommodation, they are universally assumed to be nonces.

8. In your induction period, which will last as long as it takes for the officers to decide you ‘get it’, you will have tests to determine your literacy and numeracy. This helps to decide which jobs you might be offered - kitchens, cleaning, gym attendant(unlikely), library assistant (ditto) etc. Full time work or full-time education are compulsory and they pay between £10 and £15 per week which goes on your prison account.

9. It’s best to arrive at the prison with some cash. This is taken off you at Reception, along with any other valuables, and the cash is credited to your account. As it might be some time before you can get any more credited through work or from external sources sending it in, I’d suggest a couple of hundred pounds to start.

10. No cash circulates in the prisons. If you are caught with it, you’ll get time added to your sentence. You spend what’s in your account once a week on the shopping list of items from the ‘Canteen’. This is several hundred items which make life a bit more pleasant. Food, toiletries, games, headless matches and glue to make a scale model of the Crown Court, etc. Yes, even several grades of sandpaper to get a nice finish, paints and paintbrushes.

11. Don’t accumulate debts in there which you can’t pay back on demand. If you promise to pay someone 5 tins of tuna (‘cat food’ in the local patois) in exchange for a remote control for the TV, then pay it or expect the normal reminder of a kettle of hot water flung in your general direction.

12. Standard prison food is plentiful but of poor quality and low nutritional value. Supplement your diet with items from the Canteen and don’t forget to include vitamin pills on your list.

13. At first you will be rated as on ‘basic’ privileges which limits what you can spend to about £10 per week, in addition to the £1 you will be deducted for use of the TV in your shared cell which has far fewer channels than Freeview does. No Sky, no X-boxes, not for a long time. Once you reach ‘enhanced’ status (which can take many weeks before you can even apply) you qualify for better jobs and a higher spend.

14. You are highly likely to be sharing a cell throughout your incarceration. Single cells are few and far between and reserved for specific types of inmate such as terrorist suspects, the extremely violent, etc. The cell will measure around 4m X 2m and contain a toilet and basin at one end, which might be behind a curtain. You might wish to claim the lower of the 2 bunks, but this is really for you to negotiate with your new cellmate. There will be a small TV and a kettle.

15. You will be issued toilet rolls and basic toiletries once a week, but you might only get the opportunity to have a shower occasionally. Those who do the more active jobs get first call on the showers.

16. Try to get ‘categorised’ as quickly as possible after you are moved from the induction wing to a standard wing. This assesses how you will be moved through the prison system, from the initial A or B category, through C and maybe straight to D category (open prison). A sentence plan will be produced with your cooperation and acceptance. The staff who do this have great discretion so don’t !!!! them off. They have the power to make your life easier or harder at the stroke of a pen.

17. Resist the urge to lord it (sic) over the other inmates. They will see through your !!!!!!!! and you will suffer for it. Keep your head down, your wits about you and treat absolutely everybody with respect. The wings in A,B and C category jails are essentially dominated by various gangs: based on ethnicity, or those who have all worked together in criminal gangs for years. Don’t get on the wrong side of a group. They are bored and frustrated and will have a lot of fun with you if you attract their attention.

18. Under no circumstances try to ‘set up shop’ as a lawyer in there. The inmates almost universally blame their lawyers for some aspect of their conviction and sentence and struck-off solicitors are particularly poorly regarded. A touch of humility goes much further than bravado and posturing.

19. Reports of your conviction and sentence will have made it to all the newspapers which circulate on the wings. So be careful what you say about yourself and what you were convicted for.

20. You will be given paper and a pre-paid envelope once a week to write a letter to the outside. The canteen sells pads of paper, envelopes and stamps should you wish to write more frequently. Only letters to your lawyers can be sealed by you – the rest are unsealed and are read by the prison staff so resist the urge to call them all cockwombles.

21. Prison is boring. Most wings are locked down by 18.30 until 08.00 the next day and even later at weekends. So make sure you get into the prison library as often as possible and borrow a range of books to suit the various moods you will experience in the long hours to come. Learn to play chess or dominoes or cards, whatever. Establish your own routine of activities to make the time go faster.

22. Your cellmate might have nocturnal habits and want to watch endless repeats of Big Bang Theory through the night. Buy earplugs and an eyemask from the canteen. Prisons are noisy places at night with endless banging on doors and nobody to stop it, so screen it out.

23. You will find sharing a cell difficult, especially if either or both of you have unsavoury personal habits. You will irritate each other and probably argue. The officers don’t care unless this becomes particularly violent. They are forever dealing with demands to change cellmates and have low tolerance for troublemakers.

24. Prisons can be violent places, but those who keep their heads down and avoid trouble are unlucky to be the target of it.

25. Accumulate as little ‘stuff’ as possible. Your cell will occasionally be routinely searched - particularly if you’re a pain in the !!!! – and it will be left in a hell of a state if there’s clutter. Moreover, it’s much easier to move cells, wings and to lower category jails if you have minimal stuff.

26. Don’t ever enter another inmate’s cell without his consent. Never touch or ‘borrow’ another inmate’s possessions without express permission, or point 11 above applies.

27. Don’t grass. The officers already know virtually everything anyway.

28. There is no automatic right to be incarcerated in a prison close to your home; indeed, the system appears to derive a perverse pleasure in doing the very opposite. It is important to be on the right side of the system if you want any say at all in the process and even then your chances are minimal.

29. Try to take a positive attitude and learn from the experience. Don’t use it to plan your comeback: prisons are full of those who thought they were unlucky to get caught.

30. Upon release on licence, follow the probation service’s instructions to the letter. They have the power to send you back to complete your sentence inside. They have heard every possible excuse for non-attendance and have low tolerance for those who think they can game the system – which is how this whole saga started.
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 7th Feb 19, 12:19 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    SRA Defends Decision To Prosecute Whistleblower
    https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/02/sra-defends-decision-to-prosecute-bullied-trainee-solicitor-whistleblower/
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 7th Feb 19, 12:46 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    The SRA Is In A Spin...
    The publicity over this whistleblowing case continues and persuades the SRA to reviw its policies:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/officials-defend-prosecuting-trainee-solicitor-whistleblower-303tjf59x

https://www.legalfutures.co.uk/latest-news/sra-defends-tribunal-over-bullied-whistleblower

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/commentary-and-opinion/chucking-out-whistleblowers-is-a-bad-look-for-the-profession/5069135.article

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/sra-aims-to-stop-firms-victimising-whistleblowers/5069180.article
    • Neighbourhood Watch
    • By Neighbourhood Watch 8th Feb 19, 9:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Neighbourhood Watch
    Interesting
    Edited - Apologies all round, I got confused with the identical house next to them which had sold.
    Last edited by Neighbourhood Watch; 09-02-2019 at 4:19 PM. Reason: ban information
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 8th Feb 19, 10:20 AM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    I wondered what was happening to the house following his bankruptcy
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 8th Feb 19, 10:43 AM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Crown Court Case Number: T20197007
    York Crown Court have given me the case number for the Trading Standards case. The pre-trial hearing is still listed for Monday 11 February, 2019 @10 am but the date and time will not be finalised until 4 pm today

T20197007
    Last edited by Paul Varjak; 08-02-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 8th Feb 19, 5:27 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Court Date & Time Now Fixed
    It is now confirmed that the pre-trial hearing for case T20197007 is definitely set for Monday 11 February @10 am. It will be first matter to be heard that day, so make sure you arrive promptly if you intend to visit.

There are seven defendants and it is believed all must attend. They include:

1. Former partner and solicitor at De Vita Platt Solicitors, who was struck off the Solicitors Roll on 7 December 2018 and is a former director and former shareholder of Town & Country Law. Father of this person is now a shareholder in Town & Country Law.

2. Former partner and solicitor at De Vita Platt Solicitors, who was struck off the Solicitors Roll on 7 December 2018 and is a former director and former shareholder at Town & Country Law.

3. Non-Solicitor wife of one of the partner (1) above who was a director and company secretary at Town & Country Law.and remains a shareholder at Town & Country Law.

4. Non-practicing Solicitor who trained at De Vita Platt Solicitors and is a former director of Town & Country Law and a current shareholder in Town & Country Law.

5,6 Two non-solicitors who were directors (along with De Vita Platt partner 1 above) at the now dissolved company, MyBPA Ltd.

7. A former bankrupt non-solicitor who has run four will-writing companies, three of which became insolvent. One of the co-directors of this former bankrupt is now an employee at Town & Country Law
    Last edited by Paul Varjak; 10-02-2019 at 4:42 PM.
    • Minit
    • By Minit 8th Feb 19, 6:59 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Minit
    Just saw this article in the local papers, they were my ex neighbours (de vitas) they spent a whole ton of money (high tens of thousands) on decorating and altering their house with grand plans for extension too, new Jags and Mercs all the time, anyway its now SSTC sold at a loss. At least the mystery of how they lived how they did has been solved.
    Originally posted by Neighbourhood Watch
    How did you find out they had sold?

I wasn’t aware their house was on the market?
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 9th Feb 19, 10:22 AM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Should Whistleblower Appeal Strike-Off?
    The solicitor who blew the Whistle on the dishonest practices at De Vita Platt Solicitors was, like her two bosses, struck-off at a hearing on 7 December, 2018. The full judgment is dated 24 January, 2019 and an appeal against the tribunal's decision has to be made within 21 days of the publication of the judgment which is 14 February, 2019. However, that judgment was not available on the SDT website until 28 January, 2019 because the person responsible for website updates was on holiday.

But should the whistelblower appeal? There has been a lot of debate on this topic by those more more qualified than me (I have no legal training) with some suggesting they are willing to act for the whistleblower on a pro bono basis, while some suggest setting up a crowdfunding campaign.

The whistleblower did state to the tribunal that she did not wish to practice law again so, on the face of it, there may be little to be gained by appealing even if this could be done at zero cost for the appellant. However, the whistelblower currently has this stain on her character which could limit her opportunities for the rest of her life. Yes, she was found, by the tribunal, to have acted dishonestly but is she really a dishonest person?

She was was subject to pressure by her boss to act dishonestly, under threat that she would lose her job if she did not comply. At the time she was a trainee solicitor and trainees who decide to leave a firm and transfer to another to continue their training are frowned upon by employers. In her own words, she was "between a rock and a hard place".

She had dedicated herself to her chosen career from the age of 18, worked unpaid for six months at De Vita Platt and then as a paralegal on minimum wage for another 18 months before getting a training contract with De Vita Platt. Why should she lose her career because of her employers dishonesty and greed? She did not benefit from her own dishonesty, that benefit all went to the fee earner who pushed her to the brink emotionally and mentally so that she needed anti-depressants during the final year of training.

When she did finally confront the compliance officer at De Vita Platt, she was ignored. There was no complaints procedure at the firm and the compliance officer apparently did nothing; certainly did not inform the SRA. Instead, the now newly qualified solicitor was given her marching orders by being placed on “Gardening Leave”.

Within about two months she had obtained a new job and she informed her new bosses of what she had gone through at De Vita Platt. Her employer advised that the SRA protects whistleblowers and so she ‘blew the whistle’ But the SRA were not happy and her new employers soon dispensed with her services because of impending disciplinary proceedings. This was just months after commencing that employment. She has not worked in the legal field since and does not wish to do so. She is self-employed and works long hours and her earnings are below the tax threshold. She has had to move back in with her parents because of the loss of income.

The whistleblower took 18-24 months before telling the SRA of the activities at De Vita Platt but how long did the SRA take to stop those activities? The answer is six days short of three years! It was 25 January, 2015 when the whistle was blown but the practice was not intervened until 19 January 2018, despite charges against the two partners at the practice being made in February 2017. Those charges were very serious and many were subsequently proved with dishonesty at the tribunal in December 2018.

Given that the SRA decided to prosecute, the SDT really had no alternative but to strike-off the whistleblower as dishonesty by her was proven. But was the prosecution really in the public interest? I don't think so. If she had told the SRA she did not wish to practice law again she could have entered an undertaking with the SRA to remove herself from the Roll and to never re-apply. That would have been a private agreement not publicly disclosed. Alternatively, if she wished to practice again, the SRA could have imposed restrictions on her practicing certificate to give time to evaluate her when working in an environment that was not so toxic.

What are your views?
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 9th Feb 19, 12:06 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Plagiarism by De Vita Platt
    ...plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterward.
    by https://www.plagiarism.org/article/what-is-plagiarism
    But can words and ideas really be stolen?

According to U.S. law, the answer is yes. The expression of original ideas is considered intellectual property and is protected by copyright laws, just like original inventions. Almost all forms of expression fall under copyright protection as long as they are recorded in some way (such as a book or a computer file).
    by https://www.plagiarism.org/article/what-is-plagiarism
    But why make reference to U.S. Law on the definition of plagiarism when talking about De Vita Platt, a solicitors' practice that was based in England with no apparent connection to the United States?

Well, two days after the De Vita Platt Solicitors was intervened, I took the opportunity to archive their website and noted one very interesting page that had, presumably, been copied from a U.S, website. I say, presumably, because I cannot believe that De Vita Platt would write their own privacy policy based entirely on U.S. Law.

Below is the De Vita Platt privacy policy. Somehow, I don't think they will sue me for copyright theft even though I have copied in totality and not just an extract:

Privacy Policy

This privacy policy has been compiled to better serve those who are concerned with how their ‘Personally identifiable information’ (PII) is being used online. PII, as used in US privacy law and information security, is information that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a single person, or to identify an individual in context. Please read our privacy policy carefully to get a clear understanding of how we collect, use, protect or otherwise handle your Personally Identifiable Information in accordance with our website.

What personal information do we collect from the people that visit our blog, website or app?

When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your name, email address, Information Provided in Contact Form or other details to help you with your experience.

When do we collect information?
    We collect information from you when you fill out a form or enter information on our site.

How do we use your information?
    We may use the information we collect from you when you register, make a purchase, sign up for our newsletter, respond to a survey or marketing communication, surf the website, or use certain other site features in the following ways:

• To improve our website in order to better serve you.

How do we protect visitor information?
    Our website is scanned on a regular basis for security holes and known vulnerabilities in order to make your visit to our site as safe as possible.

We use regular Malware Scanning.

We do not use an SSL certificate
    • We do not need an SSL because:

Third Party Disclosure
    We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information.

Third party links
    Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.

Google
    Google’s advertising requirements can be summed up by Google’s Advertising Principles. They are put in place to provide a positive experience for users. https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1316548?hl=en

We have not enabled Google AdSense on our site but we may do so in the future.

COPPA (Children Online Privacy Protection Act)
    When it comes to the collection of personal information from children under 13, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts parents in control. The Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the COPPA Rule, which spells out what operators of websites and online services must do to protect children’s privacy and safety online.

We do not specifically market to children under 13.

Fair Information Practices
    The Fair Information Practices Principles form the backbone of privacy law in the United States and the concepts they include have played a significant role in the development of data protection laws around the globe. Understanding the Fair Information Practice Principles and how they should be implemented is critical to comply with the various privacy laws that protect personal information.

In order to be in line with Fair Information Practices we will take the following responsive action, should a data breach occur:
    We will notify the users via in site notification
    • Within 1 business day
    We also agree to the individual redress principle, which requires that individuals have a right to pursue legally enforceable rights against data collectors and processors who fail to adhere to the law. This principle requires not only that individuals have enforceable rights against data users, but also that individuals have recourse to courts or a government agency to investigate and/or prosecute non-compliance by data processors.

CAN SPAM Act
    The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them, and spells out tough penalties for violations.

We collect your email address in order to:
    To be in accordance with CANSPAM we agree to the following:

If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can email us at

and we will promptly remove you from ALL correspondence.
    Contacting Us

If there are any questions regarding this privacy policy you may contact us using the information below.

http://www.devitaplatt.com
    90-92 High Street

Barton upon Humber, DN18 5PU
    United Kingdom of Great Britain
    reception@devitaplatt.com
    by http://www.devitaplatt.com/privacy-policy/
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 9th Feb 19, 12:45 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    More Plagiarism...
    Not content with plagiarism just on the De Vita Platt website, one of the former partners of De Vita Platt Solicitors is now plagiarising material from a competitor of his new employer and passing off that material as his own, on his new employer's website

https://www.stallardkaneassociates.com/ferfa-business-shield-update-september-2018/

Large chunks of text apparently copied from website

https://www.eef.org.uk/business-support/news-blogs-and-publications/blogs/2016/sep/how-enforceable-are-restrictive-covenants-and-what-can-you-do-to-ensure-yours-stand-up-in-court

An aggravating factor to this plagiarism is the topic matter, given the way that the De Vita Platt whistleblower was dismissed. The former partner, in executing plagiarism, could be seen to be sending a message to the whistleblower by reference to the term 'Gardening Leave', which is how the whistleblower was dismissed, just one day after complaining about that former partner when he was still at De Vita Platt.

Should the plagiarist really be working in the law field at all? I don't think so.
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 9th Feb 19, 7:05 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Follow Pre-Trial Hearing on the Internet
    For those not attending the pre-trial hearing, they can follow the cause list, which updates within minutes of any activity:

https://causelist.org/york/11-02-2019/
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 11th Feb 19, 10:24 AM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Case started on time
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 11th Feb 19, 12:19 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    The pre-trial hearing was heard today, starting around 10 am and finishing at 10.30 am. Six of the seven defendants pleaded not guilty but one defendant entered no plea and is asking that the charges against her be dismissed. This will be determined at another hearing for that one defendant.

The trial will take place either at Teesside Crown Court (in Middlesbrough) or in Leeds Crown Court on a date yet to be determined. Whichever court is chosen, it will be several months before the trial commences but Teesside would likely be earlier than Leeds.

There was one reporter at the court from York Press. So look out in the local media for any coverage on today's hearing.
    • Minit
    • By Minit 11th Feb 19, 1:14 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Minit
    Thanks for the update. Do we know who asked for the dismissal?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 11th Feb 19, 2:43 PM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I think this has to be considered spam now.

For the couple of you that care - why not set up a whatsapp group instead of filling the forum with this nonsense

You promised to pique my interest 8 pages ago - this is just now a monologue of you reporting stuff
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,482Posts Today

9,169Users online

Martin's Twitter