Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 17,078Posts
    • 283,735Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread!
    • 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread! 2nd Jan 19 at 7:11 PM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-03-2019 at 8:14 AM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Aims for 2019 - Savings up to £8000 - £4700/£8000. Lose 50lb - 0/50
Page 8
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 10th Feb 19, 2:23 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 1,089 Thanks
    unrecordings
    It's just not worth the grief trying to deny our cat access to a room

But it helps to attach the note higher up where the cat can't reach it
    Last edited by unrecordings; 10-02-2019 at 2:25 PM. Reason: a joke ?
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Feb 19, 5:27 PM
    • 2,667 Posts
    • 25,928 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Could someone please advise me on fan trained or espalier fruit trees? There isn't a nursery anywhere close to me and most online companies seem to have sold out so I am considering buying some young, cheap trees from Lidl or Aldi to train myself.

I have a gable end wall which is around 40 feet long and normal house height. There's just one first floor small shower room window in it, so to all intents and purposes completely clear of obstructions. It faces east but is fairly well protected from bitter east winds by adjacent housing.

I am thinking of an apple, a plum and another variety and know that some are self-pollinating and others not. Is there anyone knowledgeable in this sort of thing please? I do have the RHS pruning book for reference, but I wonder what sort of success you have had with fruit trees from the discounters?
    Originally posted by Living proof
    http://http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/t/28136.aspx this link to the RHS forums is quite interesting. In summary they suggest late fruiting pear, plum or morello cherries. My neighbour has around 4 morello cherry trees facing NE and we had to send in a team to pick as there were so many last year. What a treat! It makes fab jam
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (£59,998) - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 £26,242.80 after Mar
    Save £12k in 2019 - #68 target is £7k £3,669.04 after Mar
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is £3k - 23.57% spent so far, after starting April shops
    My DFD is here
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 11th Feb 19, 7:29 AM
    • 8,655 Posts
    • 19,091 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Got my lemon drop chillies and tomatoes (green giant and San marzano) in yesterday.
    They went into soaked coir pellets and I'll probably get some peppers in today and that'll be it till march.

As for watering, I'm a spritzer too.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 14\66
    March Grocery Challenge £250\£46.77
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 11th Feb 19, 8:48 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 1,089 Thanks
    unrecordings
    My first batch of tomatoes popped up overnight - I sowed them on 5th Feb
    I double sowed older Suttons Ailsa Craig with a fresh pack of my favourite DT Brown Ailsa Craig - it all seems to be the same brand that germinated, but I can't remember which is which - not that it matters really
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 11th Feb 19, 10:47 AM
    • 2,667 Posts
    • 25,928 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    My seeds have arrived by post this morning. I am happy. Everything matches the order and I also received two free packets from Mr F - Marigolds and Kale that were not on my list. Helpfully labelled Free Seeds, so I did not think they had been included mistakenly.

So now I can confirm that this year I will be growing five(!) varieties of tomato - Black Russian Cherry and Beefsteak tomatoes, along with our much loved Sungold F1 Hybrid and two Italian varieties - Costaluto Fiorentino and Pomodoro Cuor di Bue. We grow some on the back of the house in pots, and some in the greenhouse (which we keep expecting to fail on us). I do covet a new greenhouse but the one I want is expensive so it will wait.

I will also sell on my surplus seedlings - there is an Open Gardens event in May with a plant stall that will mean these raise money for a good cause. I need to do large pots of runner beans in due course for this occasion too - they always go well and lots of people will take a pot of 5-7 small plants for a £1 or so. Hopefully I will have some chilli plants for that too, if the advice I now have improves my success rate!

I need to get the spreadsheet up so the planting plan follows the right rotation before long too.
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (£59,998) - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 £26,242.80 after Mar
    Save £12k in 2019 - #68 target is £7k £3,669.04 after Mar
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is £3k - 23.57% spent so far, after starting April shops
    My DFD is here
    • -taff
    • By -taff 11th Feb 19, 11:32 AM
    • 9,862 Posts
    • 12,638 Thanks
    -taff
    The black cherry tend to split if you leave them ripen too long so watch out for that.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 11th Feb 19, 11:51 AM
    • 4,029 Posts
    • 6,089 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    The black cherry tend to split if you leave them ripen too long so watch out for that.
    Originally posted by -taff

I don't have a problem with splitting cherries - the blackbirds have them away long before they get to that stage !
    • -taff
    • By -taff 11th Feb 19, 1:14 PM
    • 9,862 Posts
    • 12,638 Thanks
    -taff
    I don't have a problem with splitting cherries - the blackbirds have them away long before they get to that stage !
    Originally posted by Silvertabby

black cherry tomatoes
    • Scottish Mike
    • By Scottish Mike 11th Feb 19, 4:13 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Scottish Mike
    Could someone please advise me on fan trained or espalier fruit trees? There isn't a nursery anywhere close to me and most online companies seem to have sold out so I am considering buying some young, cheap trees from Lidl or Aldi to train myself.
    Originally posted by Living proof
    Iím going to recommend a quince tree. I got one from T&M 5 years ago when we moved into our house, and almost killed it in the first year by keeping it in a waterlogged pot. That winter I came to my senses and planted it in the ground, and 4 years later (last autumn) we had a bumper crop of 54 quinces.

Ours was just a regular tree but Iíd imagine itíd be pretty easy to train against a wall. Extra support for fruits may be necessary as we had a few branches snap in a storm because the quinces were so big.

But I canít recommend quinces highly enough; they have a gorgeous flavour, go well in desserts and preserves, and with certain meat stews. OK, it took a bit of time to get going, but totally worth it.
    Debt free except for this blooming mortgage!
    Offsetting is the way to go!
    • Pablosmummy
    • By Pablosmummy 11th Feb 19, 4:20 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    Pablosmummy
    Had my first proper morning of gardening today, tidied up my strawberries, cut my blackberries back, moved everything round, tried to put a new hanging basket bracket up but im just not tall enough so OH will have to do that on the weekend, he's a foot taller than me so it's easy for him.
    I also found a few daffodil bulbs in the shed that I forgot to plant last year, they'd started to sprout so I've thrown them in a pot I had spare, worth a try anyway.
    I can't wait to start sowing in march, I keep staring at the packets but I know it's wayyy too early for me. My chilli seedlings are growing well so I just check on them alot...bring on March!
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 11th Feb 19, 5:10 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 1,723 Thanks
    Mnd
    Walked up the plot today, far too wet to do any work, but dug some lovely carrots for dinner and soup. Plan is to clear the old sprouts out tomorrow
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 11th Feb 19, 5:21 PM
    • 4,029 Posts
    • 6,089 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    “ I don't have a problem with splitting cherries - the blackbirds have them away long before they get to that stage !
    Originally posted by Silvertabby

black cherry tomatoes
    Originally posted by -taff
    Oops - thank you !

I tried black cherry toms a couple of years ago - and have to say that we weren't overly impressed by the taste. I bought grafted toms 'tutti fruiti' from Suttons last year - and they were yum. I've just ordered some more plants for this year (although I accept that buying grafted tom plants isn't particularly MSE !)
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 11th Feb 19, 5:43 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 10,142 Thanks
    Living proof
    http://http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/t/28136.aspx this link to the RHS forums is quite interesting. In summary they suggest late fruiting pear, plum or morello cherries. My neighbour has around 4 morello cherry trees facing NE and we had to send in a team to pick as there were so many last year. What a treat! It makes fab jam
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Thank you Suffolk lass, a very interesting couple of responses there. I will have to check what blossoming dates are. It is such a waste of a big blank wall otherwise!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 11th Feb 19, 5:49 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 10,142 Thanks
    Living proof
    Iím going to recommend a quince tree.
    Originally posted by Scottish Mike
    Thanks Scottish Mike, I had been considering quince as they are such an unusual choice. I find I can get tonnes of apples each year for drying by just asking on Freecycle so they are last on my list at the present time.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 11th Feb 19, 6:00 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 1,089 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I got out and cleared some leaves today and started pruning my overgrown winter savory that didn't get done in the autumn. I also repotted a couple of chinese mahogany seedlings (beef & onion plant if you're a Suttons customer) - still not tried any yet just in case it reacts with the chemo. I'm also planning on trying to weave some old/leggy sage plants round a pole to see if they like that (and/or it looks less messy)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Feb 19, 9:58 AM
    • 31,270 Posts
    • 183,931 Thanks
    Karmacat
    ... started pruning my overgrown winter savory that didn't get done in the autumn. ...
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    I don't know anyone else that has winter savory! And I've never pruned it in fact a few years ago I let it get so overgrown it nearly died. It came back very strong when I cleared the ground around it, but it needs more work right now. Any tips, unrecordings?
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Feb 19, 11:50 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 1,089 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I don't know anyone else that has winter savory! And I've never pruned it in fact a few years ago I let it get so overgrown it nearly died. It came back very strong when I cleared the ground around it, but it needs more work right now. Any tips, unrecordings?
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I found some in a garden centre just marked "Savory" - Must be Winter Savory because it's still here 3-4 years later. I Used to cut it back once it had flowered and/or the leaves were no longer a lush green. There are lots of long brown stalks where it flowered last year so I'm cutting those right back to a point on the stalk with some new growth - might not necessarily be the right way, but seems to work for me. I might have to see what Jekka says (in her book) and post an update later
    Last edited by unrecordings; 12-02-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: grammar again
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Feb 19, 12:11 PM
    • 31,270 Posts
    • 183,931 Thanks
    Karmacat
    If it works for someone "known" on here, thats good enough for me, many thanks I'm just about to deal with the bramble roots in that region, the savory will be a lot happier then, I think
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Feb 19, 5:56 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 1,089 Thanks
    unrecordings
    If it works for someone "known" on here, thats good enough for me
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I've 'arrived'

I checked Jekka and she says very little about maintaining savory apart from the usual thing of picking it before it flowers for best flavour. So if you cut back straight after flowering I assume you should get another growth of fresh leaves before winter. This afternoon after checking over the fresh growth I just took some shears to them (where they lean over towards the evening sun) and carefully pruned out the leggier stems on the top & other side of plant back to a nice set of fresh shoots - but not too close - erring on the side of caution in case of a heavy frost
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 12th Feb 19, 7:24 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 1,723 Thanks
    Mnd
    I got the sprouts out, still too wet to do much, lifted the swede crop, I tennis ball size and 2 golf balls!

That will keep us going!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,956Posts Today

6,772Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin