Bought handbag from Japan with FREE SHIPPING...

Total GBP285
Just got a letter through the door with charges at a total of GBP97!!
Breakdown:
Customs duty: 18.17
Import VAT 67.39
Clearance Fee 12.00

Thats almost a 1/3 of the cost of the item! Does this seem correct!?

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Sadly it does. Free shipping is neither here nor there; if you'd paid for shipping that would be added to the cost of the bag and you'd be taxed on the lot (it's to stop people 'selling' items for a tiny amount and then adding a huge delivery cost).
  • if thats the case I was taxed around 23.5%?
  • emmbrook
    emmbrook Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 February 2019 at 6:35PM
    That’s about right. 20% VAT plus duty. The £12 handling fee isn’t tax.

All detailed here: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad

If it’s over £15 then it’s taxable if from outside the EU.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    PS8800 wrote: »
    if thats the case I was taxed around 23.5%?

VAT could look higher partly due to fluctuations in exchange rate. VAT is also due on the customs duty.

Also if the documentation wasn't filled out perfectly - eg if the value of the bag was shown as £285 (rather than say 255 + 30 shipping) the import people would then add shipping to this and charge VAT on it.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • It just seems odd to have to pay this on a used vintage 10yr old + handbag. If it was coming from an online store, new, i'd maybe get it.
  • PS8800 wrote: »
    It just seems odd to have to pay this on a used vintage 10yr old + handbag. If it was coming from an online store, new, i'd maybe get it.

It is taxed on the items value. Age has no bearing on it.

You clearly felt the item is worth £285, therefore you have to pay customs on it. Anything over £15 can be charged, and clearly you are far over that.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you can afford to buy a second hand handbag for nearly £300 you can surely afford the import costs.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    RFW wrote: »
    If you can afford to buy a second hand handbag for nearly £300 you can surely afford the import costs.

Just the sort of unhelpful comment that would be likely to put somebody off ever posting again. People can spend their money as they want, plus the OP has made a small contribution to the nation's coffers.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Just the sort of unhelpful comment that would be likely to put somebody off ever posting again. People can spend their money as they want, plus the OP has made a small contribution to the nation's coffers.
    Correction, the OP is complaining about having to make a small contribution to the nation's coffers, I see no confirmation that it has actually been paid yet.
    This is a money saving site. My money saving advice is buy a new bag for a tenner in Primark, they handle all the taxes for you :p
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    RFW wrote: »
    Correction, the OP is complaining about having to make a small contribution to the nation's coffers, I see no confirmation that it has actually been paid yet.
    This is a money saving site. My money saving advice is buy a new bag for a tenner in Primark, they handle all the taxes for you :p

Correction, the OP is asking if it is correct.

However, I do agree about Primark. I bought a bag from there which cost £6.99 about 8 years ago, used as an everyday bag since and still going strong - not particularly smart though so I do use a better one for "going out":) (Not £285 worth though and still very MSE).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure