Why do some companies not pay out all profits?

Options
For example I was looking at Nike:

Sorry, can't post the link, but if you google Nike inc hl, and click on the hargreaves lansdown link.

The dividend yield is on average 1% but the dividend cover is 3.5% on average.

Why would they not pay out 3.5% in dividends?

Comments

• Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this a serious question?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For example I was looking at Nike:

Sorry, can't post the link, but if you google Nike inc hl, and click on the hargreaves lansdown link.

The dividend yield is on average 1% but the dividend cover is 3.5% on average.

Why would they not pay out 3.5% in dividends?
    Dividend cover is usually a multiple, not a percentage. So if it had a dividend cover of 3.5, it would have net profits three and a half times higher the sum it pays in dividends. As to the reason, perhaps it believes it can put the money to better use by reinvesting it in the business.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    a) The profits might not all be in cash, but in debtors from customers, extra stock in warehouses or on shop shelves, positive revaluation of property, etc

b) If the owners of the business take every penny of profit out of the business, the business doesn't go into the next year with any extra money to help them succeed- grow the business, grow profits, defend their position against rivals, etc. Effectively just surviving on what it's got and doing the best it can while other rivals have more free cash for expansion plans, relocate production, marketing etc etc which can all use up cash.

It is a sad day in the life of a company when the directors can find no better use for the funds than to give it back to the owners and tell the owners to spend it themselves or to invest it in someone else's company.

So, most investors will expect that a decent proportion of the profits will be used on growth aspirations; and the company is attractive if it has more than 1.0 x dividend cover because that means the dividend is likely sustainable and reliable into the future, and it's a relatively 'safe' investment opportunity compares to other companies that are barely scraping by.

Some other companies pay relatively higher dividends because their businesses naturally throw off more cash and don't have the same growth aspirations. A water company with a monopoly in one regiion is not going to suddenly add more reservoirs and hope to get more customers. A tobacco company whose product is effectively banned in public spaces with marketing prohibited in more and more shops all over the developed world, is not going to keep reinvesting all its profits to place more cigarette machines in London pubs, but they will keep getting lots of cash from the addicts, and can afford to kick out a lot of cash to the shareholders while letting a portion of their profits sustain their push into russia and china and africa and latin america where people might be more gullible or looking to emulate what the Westerners were doing in previous decades.

c)
    d)
    e)
    f)
    are other reasons that I can't be bothered typing out, the first two are the main ones.
  • NewInvestor1
    Options
    I understand however Nike is not a company I would classify as needing to grow. Its already established and if I was an investor, I'd be annoyed that they were not paying out 100% of their profits, rather than 30%.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 July 2018 at 8:49PM
    Options
    I understand however Nike is not a company I would classify as needing to grow. Its already established and if I was an investor, I'd be annoyed that they were not paying out 100% of their profits, rather than 30%.

Researching and designing new products?

Opening stores and market places where they don't currently have a presence?

As bowlhead says above, why would anyone want to invest in a company that clearly thinks it is the best it ever can be, and is now just looking at declining in value? This would guarantee a long-term fall in share price, and who would want to invest in that?

If you are, as your name suggests, a new investor, then you probably need to do a little more research before investing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 July 2018 at 8:58PM
    Options
    Then you fundamentally misunderstand the business and should not invest. Without continual innovation and adaption it won't be able to maintain its position relative to its rivals. I very much doubt it has reached all of its target customers. It doesn't have a monopoly.

I suggest you look into Utilities and related companies as they would better suit your preferences.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Probably something to with their global tax position. As a US company they'll have been keeping their cash offshore. Instead of paying dividends. They'll be borrowing cheaply in the US and using the cash to purchase Nike stock. Enhancing executives share option schemes rather than benefitting ordinary shareholders. Trump's change of tax policy might well bring about change.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It makes no difference: Modigliani–Miller theorem
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modigliani%E2%80%93Miller_theorem
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    The share price will reflect the extra cash the company holds, so its all swings and rounder bouts really when it comes to total return on any given share.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

I suggest you don't invest in any companies, even growing ones, until you get an understanding of business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure