PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mar I'm not sure who your asking about the dehydrated veg link but i think it was the preparing for winter thread .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    The heifer is from Cork lol and her accent is totally indecipherable :D
    We had the first totally dry day in weeks up here today, it was HOT!
    I went up to Edinburgh but only lasted the morning, it was like trudging round in deep treacle, my legs just wouldn't work so I gave in and came home early. But was nice to see all the tourists and hear all the accents and languages. The bus driver had a bit of language too, trying to avoid them when they looked the wrong way and stepped out in front of him... :D
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    polly plenty of chocolate hobnobs left I ration them to two a day. If I eat more than 1000 calories a day I pile the pounds on.

I despair of us ever having any gas the gas people have put the pipes in the trench and that is it. No idea when they are coming back.

I don't think I have anything in writing about the gas. I do have a record of £50 being put in my bank account last year, by British Gas as compensation for not registering my new meter.(It was on a key meter) I did not know that iSupply had not bothered to change it in my account until I tried to change supplier.

I had to renew with iSupply because they would not change it. I was more concerned about the £600 they were refusing to give me back after they insisted on taking £200 a month for the rest of the year and not the three months that had been arranged.

I did get my money back last month, but have got no further with them.

I do still have a full record of all the correspondence between me and them and vice versa. Ever single communication is still in my account.

I shall have to start again. I have other money matters to chase. It seems if it has my name on is some bu88er will mess my account up. Why is it always people I never deal with telling porkies about me.

DS is enjoying learning to drive is little electric truck. Apparently you barely touch the button and it has gone 4 meters in a second. Sounds just like learning to drove a car. You know that moment on your first lesson when you think OMG I'm moving far too fast, you look at the speedometer and you're only doing 10 miles and hour. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Glad to hear you got out for a bit . Small victories are better than none . Make a saint swear was oft uttered in my direction . She had me educated by nuns and sadly for her forged the steel rod in my spine .
    I was thinking of the knitting earlier , you feel the season begin to turn and get the thoughts of all things warm and woolly .
    I do miss a cat when the nights draw in . However I do find though i pace myself better when the days are shorter . I lose track of time on the long summer days and tend to push on without realising how late it is .
    pollyx

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    You sound like me NM . I often wonder if I've got MUG on my forehead . If something is going go wrong I'll be the one they seem to hit on . My eldest daughter says these things don't happen mum and I reply They do in my world . I feel as though there's a neon arrow pointing at me . I don't take any prisoners now but as you know yourself things are tiring enough without fighting stupid battles caused by someone being totally inept and being paid to do so .
    I know nothing of time scales for laying gas to installation . I think it shouldn't be long . At least you have your records about the meter issue . It just isn't fair that they have sorted it properly .
    How are you yourself are you still having some hospital trips ?
    Your son seems to be liking his job . So good after all his efforts and I'm sure your support to keep him positive .
    Are you ever too tired to go to bed although you know you should ? That's me tonight . I think I'll do a hot water bottle as it's chilly now and it eases the aches . I hope you sleep well and will see you tomorrow .
    Hugs to burtha
    polly

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ha, pollyanna, caught you talking about me behind my back!
    Of course I am quiet, I am a very quiet person, I thought you would have realised that.

I am willing to prostrate myself in front of anyone, even GQ, but getting up afterwards may be a problem. Has anyone else found how suddenly you can't do something that you have done all your life without even thinking about it. I was like that with getting up off the floor. One day I just couldn't do it. Frightened me to death, I had to crawl round trying to find something to hold on to to haul myself upright again. Honestly, it happened over night, never had any difficulty before and suddenly WHAM there it was and there I was. Suddenly old and incapable.

I had a lovely morning with my grandson. DIL was at work, Pickle had an important play date, DS2 wanted to do a couple of hours work before the rain came so my darling J came to spend the morning with me. As he is 15, nearly 16 now he has hollow legs, hollow arms, hollow feet, hollow hips, hollow everything's so the first thing we had to do was a trip to the shop to stock up on enough sustenance for the morning. Now I live on my own I don't keep stocks of the sort of snacks necessary for a teenage boy to keep body and soul together between breakfast and lunch.
    Then he cleaned my windows for me which I had cleaned yesterday before the viewing and had to clean again when he had gone home.

I then took Millie for a walk on the beach, mistaking a drone for an enemy seagull she took off and would not come back when I called. Eventually a kind lady who was having the same bother with her dog managed to retrieve them both and Millie was returned covered in wet sand and sporting a fetching scarf of seaweed.
    She didn't even apologise.

If I have obviously not done enough housework and find getting to sleep difficult, I invent different scenarios for myself in which I am all the things I would love to be, slim, rich, multi-talented and the heroine of all my stories. One night I might take over a grim Victorian orphanage and transform it into a place of warmth, happiness and comfort, or I might go to a piano recital and the star performer is taken I'll. No problem, Monna rises from the audience and takes over, stunning the entire Albert Hall with not only her stunning beauty but also her virtuoso rendition of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto.
    It really annoys me if I go to sleep before I get to the climax of one of my self-centred stories.
    I wonder what it will be tonight?

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Interesting day there monna . Nice variety of happenings . Your grandson seems to be coming along fine . Cleaning the windows was a bit Phyllis in the railwsy children who meant well . He will be happy to have helped you out and was spared the sight of you cleaning them for the second time yourself .
    If we did a poll here there would be many who wonder how they suddenly can't get up from the floor and wonder where it all went wrong . Personally I believe we all peaked too soon . We were always rushing and dealing with many varied and at times challenging situations . We were worn out when we retired :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    The fantasy dreams sound lovely but don't you feel a tad annoyed the following morning when you wake and it was only a dream?

NM I've remembered a poster here had gas laid on in her road not so long ago . She talked about the whole thing on her blog . I think it was Csarina who usually posts on the Daily thread .
    Those carts your son is learning to drive sound just the thing for us old stylers . A lot more use than an inflatable elephant .

Silva I'm intrigued by a fish finger omlette . My eldest daughter always had a thing for fish finger butties and it always made me shudder . She's nearly 46 now but sometimes abandons her clean eating ways to indulge .

Well I'm missing bits of words so bedtime for me . Hot water bottle is in the bed so will say goodnight and see you all tomorrow .
    Sleep tight
    pollyx

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just popping in to send ((Hugs)) to LW especially but all of you having a carpy time at the moment x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Ahhh. Fish finger omelette and steps up to the bins. What a world we live in;)

Work this morning and coffee with a former colleague who lives locally this afternoon. He is at a different Uni now so it will be nice to catch up. Pilates tonight with OH, so I think we'll have a bean salad for tea. The heating engineer is out a 4th time today to fix the leak that was supposed to be fixed when we moved in. They identified a problem, changed the rad, then came back to tighten the valve and now are coming back to change the valve which means draining the system.

Maggie the cat was quite naughty in the night, scratching and waking us up. She must have heard all of this talk of prostrating and thought she wasn't getting her due! Her parcel of food should be arriving today or tomorrow and there are some new flavours for her to sample so hopefully she'll feel appropriately spoiled. Either spoiled or she'll be convinced we're trying to poison her with these new flavours.

Nursemaggie, I'm glad the first day went well! May it continue.

Burtha, I hope you're winning the battles and looking after yourself.

Hugs to all who need them.x
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Today's jobs include shopping for elderly friend, meeting another friend to visit carpet shop to help choose / order new vinyl for her ktichen, cleaning and other chores for a client, checking an empty house to make sure all in order and picking up any post (for lady in a care home).
    Have to decide what to get for dinner as weel (must do that now, rather than impulse buy!).

Hope Burtha is OK.

It is shocking to find you suddenly have aches, or are exhausted by a day's work, isn't it?
    I now know why people have a mid-life crisis! Suddenly it hits you that things are getting harder and time is getting shorter.
    We have saved all our lives and do have a nest egg, not massive but enough for rainy days and holidays.. We have no kids to leave it to. I said to DH that we need to start spending some on ourselves. I would be so annoyed to have sacrificed things to save for some enjoyment only to croak before I get the enjoyment! Hence the holiday planning for next summer :D
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure