Mrs S.....life after debt

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I picked up milk and wine on the way home from work, and came in under budget. I have around 50p left for groceries to last until Monday :rotfl: which is around 10p less than last week. I did walk around the shop a few times with the wine in the basket contemplating whether I really needed it, but it is Friday, I've had a full week in work (only happens 3 or 4 times a year) and I'm basically shattered so the wine won :rotfl:

Ds1 is ready for his school holidays. He's super shattered. They had a school trip today, which is always super tiring. It'll be a quiet weekend for the boys after a couple of busy ones!

My salmon is still sitting in the fridge, but I didn't splash out on a takeaway. I was treated to one instead. Mr S took ds1 to his swimming lesson tonight, and the stopped with me on the way back to drop off a curry!! :j It was definitely a lovely surprise!!

I tried to take this week's £20 entertainment money out of the cash point earlier, but I think there was an issue with the machine. It gave my card back without giving me any money. After a few moment of staring at this machine, I pulled out my phone and checked my account online and it didn't show a transaction. The machine was making a bit of a noise too, the noise it makes when it's getting your money so I'm wondering whether it was either empty or just playing up. I've checked my account a few times tonight, just in case, but it must just have been the machine. So, that £20 is still in my account, and I still have £10 left from last week.

I am having a massage tomorrow which will cost a whole £5 (I'm taking it from the £30). I was given a voucher a few weeks ago for a local lady, and finally got around to contacting her this week. The voucher I have is £20, and the treatement is £25 so I figure it will be £5 well spent.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I don't want to talk too soon, but July is looking positive. My budgets are being 100% stuck to. My food budget is smaller, but I'm sticking to it. I have entertainment money leftover :j This time last month things were super tough. Let's hope things continue like this!!

I've been planning the Summer holidays today. I've created a little planner and inputted anything that is already planned, and any days the boys are in nursery/with grandparents/I'm in work. I'm including a weekly library visit. We used to visit the library regularly, but haven't for a while. Ds1 is really into his reading now, and really enjoyed the library when we used to go so I'm guessing they'll enjoy that! I've also got a National Trust membership so aiming to get the most out of that.

I'm hoping the boys really enjoy these holidays but we manage it on a tiny budget!
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You sound very organised. We just went to the library today. We are also needing a cheap summer holiday.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Food shop today, and came in under budget :j :j I finally took last week's entertainment money out of the bank along with this week's. It was definitely third time lucky. I tried last week at one cashpoint, and it refused to give me money. Today, I tried at the cashpoint in Aldi, and again it went as far as saying it processing, and then said there was an erro. Finally I took it out at the cashpoint outside Tesco.

I'm hoping to keep Spends low this week which means I'll have a little extra over the school holidays!! I've been making a planner for the holidays with lots of cheap/free ideas. Then today Mr S decides on our first family day he wants to do x, y and z which all cost a fortune!! He's still living with his parents, paying a small amount of maintenance to me so that he can save as much as possible. The result appears to be that he's not considering the cost of anything. I discussed it with him last week, but mentioned it again tonight when he wanted to do expensive things during the holidays.

I'm going to make sure my boys have an amazing 6 weeks, and I'm also going to make sure that I stick to budget.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    :j Yay for a NSD today. :j That brings July's total to 7 out of my target 12. 5 to go!! I'm not sure whether to count grocery shopping days as a NSD if I stick to budget and only buy groceries, no other spends. In a way it's another bill that's budgeted for.

I've had a chat with Mr S today about the amount he's paying each month. It seems like I'm struggling and budgeting super hard, and he has all this spare cash. It feels quite unfair. The original intention was that the boys would spend 50% of their time with me, and 50% with him. In fact I feed them between 5 and 6 nights a week, the same for breakfast. Mr S is also eating here more and more. As well as that, a couple of different things have gone up in price. We were supposed to split the boys costs 50:50 and then I paid for all the food they ate here. In fact I'm paying about 70% of the boys costs, plus they're eating here around a couple of days extra a week.

Don't get me wrong, I am really pleased it's worked out that the boys are with me so much. I don't miss anything from their lives. The issue is how tight things are each month. I've written down all the children's costs today, halved it and asked Mr S how he feels about upping his contribution a little. It works out around £10 a week. He has agreed with no questions asked which I'm obviously super happy about. It means that things aren't quite as tight here.

That pretty much sums up the last 2 days. I've spent my 2 days off cleaning, cooking, laundry and lots of sitting in the garden watching the boys play. Back in work tomorrow for the rest of the week, and then 2 whole weeks off :j :j :j
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Yesterday was another nsd, which brings July to 8/12. I'm hoping for another today. I should easily reach my target of 12 this week. 2 more days in work before a fortnight off, and we're being taken out for lunch today :j

Mr S text me last night to say that he's changed the weekly standing order. We'll see tomorrow if it's correct :rotfl: I downloaded the shoppix app and receipt hog last night. I uploaded my receipts from Monday's grocery shop to them. I just need to remember to upload receipts every time I buy something now!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Today wasn't a nsd. Over the coming couple of months, lots of ds1's friends are having birthdays so I ordered the 10 for £10 books from the works. There was enough money in the birthday budget to cover it.

I've also made £30 today from selling old toys that aren't played with anymore. :j I've decided to give Mr S half, I think that's only fair (though a little part of me thinks I'm being too nice :rotfl: ). I around £60 behind now with my Christmas savings, so I'm going to put the £15 there. I've also got another £10 in leftover money to go there, so will only have another £35 to make up before December :j :j

Despite things being tight recently, I am seeing an increase in these little savings pots and it's nice to know there's money there when it's needed. Would be nice to have more in my pocket, but I guess the answer then would be to earn more. I'm not prepared to do that at the moment as the boys are so young. It would also mean me forking out £56 a day in childcare for every extra day I worked. It's definitely something to look at once both boys are in school full time.

Talking about school, it's end of term for ds1 tomorrow. :j I love routine, but I am actually looking forward to this break (though after the first 2 weeks I'll be back at work!). I'm looking forward to spending time with my boys and not having to rush every morning.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Happy Sunday. I've been sat this morning updating/reconciling YNAB and checking all my accounts are up to date. I have 9 days left until payday and I'm still feeling majorly in control. I really hope this is a mindset that is here to stay - I like it!!!

On Friday I spent just under £25 in Aldi on things for a bbq we hosted yesterday. That included a bottle of wine, a bottle of prosecco and a couple of bottles of real ale so feeling super chuffed with that. The money came from my entertainment money, and I still have almost £50 in my purse! :j :j :j I did pick up a few meat bits for the bbq on Monday when I did my weekly shop, but that shop came in (slightly) under budget even with the added items, so I'm really pleased.

We booked another camping trip last night. We're going away for 3 nights in the middle of August. One of the great things about my working pattern is that we can do this. Once I finish work on a Friday, I'm then not back in until the following Wednesday. We've booked to go away on the Saturday and come back Tuesday. The camping is going to be costing less than £50 and my aim is to be as frugal as possible and only use my entertainment fund and not try and find money/move around categories to fund it.

Today is going to be a quiet day. I'll be cooking a gammon joint later for some ham and parsley sauce. Otherwise I have no major plans. I'm going to print out my summer holidays planner so we can all see what we have planned. I'm so determined to have a fun Summer on a budget!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You are doing brilliantly Mrs S and so glad that you seem to have got to grips with budgeting. Not easy as a single parent with 2 young kids but it pays dividends in the future if you have savings rather than having to take on debt to do things.

Perfectly possible to do summer on a budget. Are you near any beaches or moors/countryside? Our girls used to love picnics on the beach or Dartmoor. Cheap cinema tickets in the mornings on rainy days at our local cinema or dvd lazy afternoons with bags of popcorn. We have paddling pool afternoons in our garden with our DGD with a kiddie slide going into a paddling pool or hosepipe on polythene to make a water slide.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Thank you enthusiastic saver. It's such a fantastic feeling to feel that you have control. I think June scared me a bit because there were several reasons for overspending and made me realise how easy it would be to fall back into debt. It's not happening, though!!

Thank you for all your great ideas :) We are lucky and have loads of beaches nearby, and a National Trust membership so planning on making the most of them during the holidays. Our local cinema has the cheap tickets during the mornings so hoping to be able to take ds1 at some point. I have microwave popcorn in the cupbord ready for lazy dvd afternoons and plenty of picnic type foods because even if you venture only as far as the garden, eating on the grass is far more exciting than eating at the dinner table :rotfl: We're planning weekly library visits as well!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business