PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dh has made noises that he wants to clear out his wardrobe, especially his work shirts. During the years, I have already taken out the clearly tattered ones, but now he wants to go through them all. Sounds good, now he just needs to do it.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • I have said to my husband about the amount of stuff my mother-in-law hoards in her house. It's not exactly a huge house but it is full to the brim with stuff in cupboards and wardrobes. She has a big garden with 3 sheds worth of stuff! I think when she passes away it will have to be cleared professionally as she refuses to do it.:(

I kept most of the tupperware boxes as storage in drawers but threw away the lids. I'm getting rid of a big bread bin type thing (as it takes up so much space) and using a smaller seagrass box instead.

I'm using up a scented candle today as I start one and then move onto another scent. I have to use them one by one!

I went through the fridge and will make soup later with the bendy veg in there.
  • Well I'm an Oldie and I am trying to do something about my clutter., Older Son actually had remarked, "When you go we'll get the house clearance people in". That made me think! If there's any giving away I want to do it.

What I can't understand is how did we produce offspring that can actually deal with clutter!!

I have stopped giving money to charity and give items that can be sold. (One charity shop asked did I really want to give away a book they would be able to sell for £12! My answer was "YES!".) The stuff can be used for good and will lighten my load.

Husband is just as bad. The garden shed has been tidied twice and it is back to square one! Lots of stuff for killing bugs and pests still there. He never uses it and I'd love to see it all go. Anyone know if "chemicals" need to go to a special place?

Not sure if I agree with Marie K not to tackle a room at the moment. It's so lovely when a section is cleared.
  • Eirlys wrote: »
    I have stopped giving money to charity and give items that can be sold.

Me too except for air ambulance, everything I give to a cs goes to the hospice shop. Re the chemicals, I give them to the man at the tip, he puts them in a safe place

Just a bit of MK done today but I haven`t stopped working. House maintenance, I spotted something and have repaired it, did a good job too :D I also did some winter as in spring, cleaning so not much time for MK but some stuff is added to my cs bag, I am off to that area in 2 days so will fill it by then
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Eirlys wrote: »
    Husband is just as bad. The garden shed has been tidied twice and it is back to square one! Lots of stuff for killing bugs and pests still there. He never uses it and I'd love to see it all go. Anyone know if "chemicals" need to go to a special place? .
    :) Hi, I'd check out your local authority website (whichever one runs your tip) and see what their waste and recycling pages have to say about hazardous waste. If the answer isn't there, you might want to email them.

Some authorities have certain days/ weekends each year set aside as amnesty days, when you can bring in dubious stuff which would normally be declined. Others have special sections which can take such things available all the time, as seems to be the case at kittie's dump.

Just been dodging thundery showers all day and have managed to avoid a drenching by a narrow margin. Had 75 mins on the lottie this aft, with 15 mins in the middle sheltering in the shed from a thundery downpour. Am now home and about to turn some storecupboard items into the makings of chili con carne. Not only will it reduce the storecupboard, but it will give me some hearty warming meals for the next few days - now the weather has turned, I feel like eating some hot food again.

Onwards and upwards, my lovelies. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Same here GQ - roast dinner yesterday and leftovers for tomorrow. Tonite dinner is a chicken & ham bake (leftovers from a couple of weeks ago!)
    Saw an ambulance outside my lovely elderly neighbours about half an hour ago - it was for the husband who's got heart problems. They've had visitors last week and been out and about and I happened to see them coming back from their walk today after being caught in the downpour. Do hope it's just because he may have overdone things. I've given her our phone numbers Justin. We've been neighbours for over 40 years and keep an eye on each others houses when we've been away. Do hope he'll be OK.
    FINALLY!!! Cabinet is going on Friday - I can then notify the hospice shop for the table and chairs. DH & I packed all the glassware into an empty storage box (thanks MK) and put in the spare bedroom ' cos once the furniture goes the building work can begin ;) I'm going away for a couple of weeks with girlfriends - maybe DH will have it done while I'm away (can hope!) last year while I was away he got bored and painted the house so fingers crossed!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I took the opportunity of a wet day with DH busy working to KM my clothes again... have reorganised out of season storage, got the winter woolies out and put my summer stuff away. Also released a heap of stuff for CS which I will take this week. Have also swapped boxes-in-drawers around for my knicker drawer & hankies and got my knee boots out & all stood up in the bottom of my wardrobe :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Evening lovelies one and all

Can I drop in with another set of figures (I know, ive always wasted time counting stuff rather than getting on with my work lol).

Question: for someone who wears tights about once every halleys comet, do you think 4 pairs of dark greys/barely blacks, 1 pair of light brown (eugh), 1 pair navy and 1 pair of black holdups (ooh lala) is enough ? These are all thin denier ones.

Cos if that's not enough I also have new boxed and packaged: 4 navy, 9 barely black/smokey grey type and 10 in shades of brown (yuck) with exotic names like paola, nude, chiffon and biscuit !! (I am of the age where mums wore brown tights, us trendy young gals wore barely black so dear knows how I have so many brown ones.) 1 pair black with snowmen embroidered on the ankle and 1 pair black stockings (ooh lala again).

Then we move onto winter tights:1 chocolate, 5 navy, 1 BRIGHT blue (think 80s), half dozen grey, 2 bottle green, 8 black. 8 black? 8 ??? How did this happen? I never wear black except to funerals and then I have 1 pair black trousers and 1 black jacket as funeral outfit, plus a funeral black handbag.

I remember getting rid of loads of tights and stocking years ago (when I realised my sussy belts would barely fit round my leg rather than my waist, a sad day for Mr daisy lol) and keeping some "in case of funerals and interviews". Hmm, well that accounts for keeping about 3 pairs allowing for the unlikely but possible event of two funerals and an interview all happening in the same week but how many did I seriously think I needed?? Some of the tights I'm sure I recognise the packaging from my Saturday job in BhS .....in the mid 80s (paola im looking at you). Several seem to have been bought during a sale (5 pairs for £3.60 - bargain, let's buy loads and keep them for 20 years without wearing them).

So, 53 pairs of tights, 30 of which are brand new. SABLE? Jeez, no wonder I had to spend 12 grand on bedroom fitted wardrobes a few years ago to store all my 'treasured' possessions! Ah well, they do spark extreme joy (only 2 small bedside cabinets to put things down on, the rest is floor to ceiling so I can't let loads of Stuff wash up on horizontal surfaces like the tide deposited it daily as it seemed to before. And I have empty shelves inside. Even before I started kondoing.

Ho hum. At least my nephews won't have quite so many to chuck out when they clear our house in the future (another with no kids here and concerned about whoever we leave it all to)

Daisy xxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 11 September 2017 at 8:59PM
    Hello. May I join you?

I discovered MK a couple of years ago (possibly on MSE). It was a revelation and I think it's been a life changer.

I wasn't madly untidy or cluttered but I just had TOO MUCH STUFF. I couldn't see the things I loved because there was too much and I had scary cupboards, full of things that gave me sad memories (photos), or were depressing (clothes that either no longer fitted or were hugely unflattering) etc.

Over time, I've been through and Kondoed the lot and oh the difference it's made. I've found the things that I love and I can see and use them every day. I'm still fat (no miracle there!), but wear clothes that I'm happy in.

The amazing difference though is in the way that it's made me think and that has then filtered through to my family. I don't buy much now (i have to really love it to give it space in my home). As a family, we tend to go on hols and have "experience" type treats now, rather than buy stuff and I love the memories that build up (& do give house room to lots of photo books of them).

We were able to really understand what matters to us and this is leading to a house move and lifestyle changes that we wouldn't have considered before.

I'm sorry to go on, but it's been an amazing journey.

Stick with it, the rewards of peace and calm are so worth the painful bits.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Daisy, my MIL bought me a 10-pack of knee highs in grey. I thanked her and wore them occassioanlly. She then gave me another 10-pack, also grey. I have no idea why anyone would need 20 pairs of grey knee highs :rotfl:
    They were some of the first things to be released!

You will probably feel happy to keep 4 or 5 pairs of tights/hold ups? Seems sensible, if you are going to wear them! If you will never wear them release them. Someone will be very glad to find brand new tights in CS. Many employers have strict dress codes and anyone starting a new job will be thankful to keep costs down.

I do have a question about tights though..... I have bought a lovely, smart skirt in Sains sale (£4.80!), but it needs thick tights in winter. I don't like wearing tights AND I am short and, well, fat! So, which brand of thick Black tights would work for me??

Lovely post, Catshark, you are spot on! We reduced our income, changed our buying habits and prefer holidays to extra possessions (skirts bought in the sale excluded!).
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport