Claiming back PPI with few details

This may have been asked many times before, but here goes. I had a number of loans back in the 1990s for, amongst other things, buying a car. I have absolutely no idea whether these had PPI attached to them, but would like to investigate. I have the original bank statements showing the monthly payments going out, but would not have retained the old loan agreements, so cannot check the terms. If I write to the relevant financial institutions with these details, what is to stop them writing back (after a period of time in which they could have been investigating) & simply saying that there was no PPI - even if there had been, I would be none the wiser and therefore couldn't challenge it?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 August 2017 at 1:49PM
    It's true that, since you have no documentary records yourself, you are totally reliant on the honesty of any establishment you write to.

However, this is the least of your likely problems.

The main one is that car dealers were not regulated prior to 2005 and can dismiss any complaint about a time earlier than this regardless of whether there was PPI.

The other is that records are not generally kept for finance from two decades ago
  • mlstab
    mlstab Posts: 8 Forumite
    One of the loans was for a car purchase, although it was sourced via another financial institution. However, in general, is your opinion that even starting a claim process for loans dating back so long would be nothing other than a waste of time?
  • [Deleted User]
    mlstab wrote: »
    One of the loans was for a car purchase, although it was sourced via another financial institution. However, in general, is your opinion that even starting a claim process for loans dating back so long would be nothing other than a waste of time?
    Well, it's certain you won't be able to start any "claim process" at all if you cannot first establish whether you actually had PPI...
  • mlstab
    Well that's very strange, given that the advice given in so many different places is just that you MIGHT have had PPI. If what you say is correct, i.e. you need to establish that you had PPI before even going down this road, then a lot of sources, including MSE, need to change that advice.
  • [Deleted User]
    You can't complain that you MIGHT have had PPI, since it's not somehow wrong simply to have insurance.

If you want a refund of PPI (if you actually had it) you have to show it was mis-sold to you.

Where does MSE encourage speculative "complaints" from people who are not even sure they had PPI?

Claim companies certainly try to sign up potential complainants in this manner, but they are just trying to drum up custom.
  • mlstab
    I'm not talking about a speculative claim, I'm trying to find out whether or not I had PPI. If I approach a financial institution with which I had a loan, to ask whether I had PPI, they could quite easily say "No you didn't", and I would have no idea whether or not that was correct. This is the approach which MSE suggests, but I'm not clear how you can be sure that you are receiving bona fide answers.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 10 August 2017 at 2:49PM
    I'm not clear how you can be sure that you are receiving bona fide answers.
    You can't be sure.

The likelihood is they'll no longer have any records so long after the event, but you have to rely on the people who check the archives.

You can pay £10 for a Subject Access Request (SAR), but even that won't magic up records which no longer exist.

Basically, if neither you nor they have any records pertaining to PPI then any complaint is scuppered before it's begun.
  • mlstab
    My original wording wasn't very clear about that - trying to do 4 things at once probably not a good idea.
  • mlstab
    OK, advice heeded. I'll forget about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    OK, advice heeded. I'll forget about it.
    You can still enquire, just don't expect anything back...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure