Access cash on 0% purchases card

Options
I've just received my new MBNA 28 month 0% purchases (in first 60 days) card through the post, as we want to buy a new sofa and thought I would see if we could get it on 0%. The credit limit on the card is £9k, and our new sofa isn't going to cost that. We could put some new tyres on the cars as well, but don't have anything else big to buy within 60 days. What's the best way to access the remainder of the 0% cash? Can you still buy travellers cheques and cash them in? Might as well stick the cash in Premium Bonds for a couple of years or summink :think:

There is a money transfer option but that costs 4%

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Travellers cheques do exist but I imagine they would be treated as a cash advance rather than a purchase. You would need to check with your card provider.

And just because you have available credit doesn't mean you should use it. High utilisation won't help any future credit applications.
  • easterbunni
    Options
    I've got 6 credit cards now, three of them maxed out on 0% deals, so I'm not too bothered about future credit applications (got the money to pay them off, no remortgaging to do) so I was somewhat surprised MBNA gave me such a high limit in the first place :rotfl:
  • The_Urbanite
    Options
    My preferred method of stoozing is ripping the entire credit limit out of 0% purchases cards.

It involves using the same methods as manufactured spending so I'd suggest researching MS as a starting point.
  • ricky_v
    ricky_v Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Purchase supermarket gift cards then use the gift cards for your normal shopping. If you're an ASDA shopper buy loads of christmas saver cards at £144 each and you'll get £6 credited on each card in November.

If your local authority accepts credit cards, pay off this years council tax.
  • easterbunni
    Options
    It involves using the same methods as manufactured spending so I'd suggest researching MS as a starting point.

Thanks for that, now I understand why there are no easy answers ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure