My Kingdom for an Electric Boiler...

Hi All,
we moved into our C18th G2 Listed Cottage here in Dorset a couple of years ago.
Being very period property savvy and having done all the research into breathability and then having identified all the crimes that the previous owners (the estate that owns most of our village) had committed against this LISTED building, we've set about putting that right.
Sometimes I've even applied for the LBC... .Anyhow that's a whole different rant (the game that is LBC)... quite early on we decided to replace the 1970's storage heaters with central heating. Being in a village just 4 miles away from a small town, you'd have thought mains gas would be a given.. but no, this is Dorset (we can't even manage a motorway)... So the option was LPG or errrr LPG. Unfortuantely we've discovered that we're buying LPG in it's most expensive form, namely 47kg Orange cylinders (4 of them). In the summer this isn't a problem as we don't need to buy any gas at all.. but from October onwards we're looking at between 200 & 400 per month (yes you read that right) and then you have to deal with the likes of the suppliers who write you a report stating that it was difficult to deliver the cylinders because we have a gate and some steps up to our property.... I mean honestly....Yes I know we should put money away in the summer but who does that (not us!)? Anyway I decided that even if it was a bit more expensive than the LPG in the long run it would be more affordable on a monthly basis. Well having decided that I tried to find someone / anyone who would quote me for the work, but I've drawn a complete blank. Even SSE aren't able to supply electric boilers though ironically they can supply a gas one....tcccch Perhaps I'll have to start my own direct debit scheme....anyone got any better ideas?
Paul.

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Have you considered bulk LPG? We've got a 1200 litre tank in the garden (you can get buried ones, but are quite a bit more to install).

We've an old (1911) 4 bed rural semi and get through about 2500 litres a year at 30ppl (£800 pa). That's all heating and hot water.

I'd advise shopping around as we started with Calor, but have now moved to a small local independent.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 August 2018 at 5:45PM
    Any better ideas?

Yes, use the storage heaters for background heating. (You weren't silly enough to discard them were you? If so, you can get second hand ones for a few pounds on ebay.)
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Decent storage heaters work well.

Is oil an option? More flexible than lpg IMHO.

You seem to be motivated by cost but then want the single most expensive form of heating, an electric boiler. Bizarre.

If you're struggling to save on a monthly basis then perhaps get yourself over to the budgeting or saving sub-forums.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm still not sure why the OP wants to replace what appears to be a fairly new LPG fired wet central heating system with an electric boiler or storage radiators.

A bulk LPG tank would certainly be the cheapest solution, unless they don't have room for one. Replacing the LPG boiler with an oil fired one would be quite expensive, as well as having to purchase and site an oil tank.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Range cooker to power heating and cook on....
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure