MSE News: BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,923
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Now that the Mods have moved your post, I suggest you read the preceding posts which explain fairly clearly the process.

BT seem to have gained a bit of a reputation for giving false information.
  • I have read them but am still a little confused and angry at the conflicting info BT have provided and am not 100% sure what I should do now. Thanks in advance.
    DMP Started June 2016
  • Ken2000
    Ken2000 Posts: 77
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I just ordered a Vodafone Broadband Package, but spoke to BT, who said that they've not sent me out a letter or email yet, which is true. Is there a danger that if the switch occurs before I receive the letter from BT, that I'll need to pay cancellation charges?
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,546
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not had a letter yet but we only took it out in may and had 130 reward card & 95 topcashback, will gladly cancel & take out in my partners name for the same again. Retention only offered to keep price the same
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,698
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ken2000 wrote: »
    I just ordered a Vodafone Broadband Package, but spoke to BT, who said that they've not sent me out a letter or email yet, which is true. Is there a danger that if the switch occurs before I receive the letter from BT, that I'll need to pay cancellation charges?
    You need to wait for the letter/email, you then have 30 days to tell them you are leaving.

Be careful though, there is always the chance that BT will record you as having had the email but you don't receive it, so you won't know when your 30 days start. In theory you could argue you weren't told but it turns a bit messy.
  • Ken2000
    Ken2000 Posts: 77
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks, I suppose I could always call them every 20 days or so to ask whether they've sent the email/letter.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You have initiated a switch . That process takes xx days to be notified to BT .
    If you have not cancelled due to price rise before BT receiving switch notification is the key point .
    Its a straight swap and you are not cancelling as per price rise >> pay up contract >
  • I spoke to BT who said the way to initiate the cancellation based on the price increase was to find a new company and switch which I did. That’s why I am confused.
    DMP Started June 2016
  • I received yet another email from BT regarding cancellation but this time no mention of charges. So I called them up again, moaned about the lack of info from the first call, the confusing call last night and now the same email disregarding any note of charges and I got offered a new deal at £9 cheaper than what I was paying with no price increase! Happy days. Why does it always take a battle to get anywhere. All sorted! Anyone else confused with BT, keep pushing! It does work!!!!
    DMP Started June 2016
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    How are people receiving these letters? In the post, or via e-mail?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure