Second part time freelance job?

Options
Hi all,

I am currently in full time employment but I am the position to start doing a second job in my spare time or quiet time at work, which would bring in an extra bit of income that would be classed as self employed.

I am wondering how I would go about doing this tax-wise? I would put an advert out to start with, but at what point would I officially declare it as self-employed income? It may well be that one or two people take me up on the service and that's it for the year, or only a few times a year. It could turn out that it becomes regular work. So how would I declare this?

Sorry if they are silly questions, I'm just looking to do this as a side-job to build up a portfolio until I can actually do it as a proper job, I'm just not sure how to go about declaring it.

Thanks in advance :)
Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your first £1k p.a. is tax-free I think. if you find it easy to earn more than that then either you tell HMRC and pay income tax as self-employed, or you start your own limited company and run it pretty much as your accountant advises.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income#trade
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Thank you for the link that's what I was trying to find :) many thanks
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • Brokeass
    Brokeass Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I have a full time job too. I will be freelancing for about for a few hours a week on top of my job.

I will be freelancing from home and I understand that there are some expenses I can claim for a working from home business??

I wont be making much money but I want my tax to be correct etc.
    Where did all my money go??
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Brokeass wrote: »
    I have a full time job too. I will be freelancing for about for a few hours a week on top of my job.

I will be freelancing from home and I understand that there are some expenses I can claim for a working from home business??

I wont be making much money but I want my tax to be correct etc.
    if you are making less than £1,000 then expenses are irrelevant

the working form home allowance if you are making more than £1k is £216 for the entire year - which assumes you do work from home every single week
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    the working form home allowance if you are making more than £1k is £216 for the entire year - which assumes you do work from home every single week
    Where does that come from?
    For "a few hours a week" I would expect an allowance of £10 a month.
    https://www.gov.uk/simpler-income-tax-simplified-expenses/working-from-home
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport