Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    good morning lovely ladies......

Well it’s miserable here - again. What’s new.:rotfl:

I have a massage booked for later in the city so will combine that with a little mooch round the shops and a bit of a mini food shop to tide me over until I can do a proper shop.

College went well last night. We did practicals. Got my uniform, and just need to buy some white shoes so will try and get those today. Most of the girls on the course had picked up some white canvas ones from Primarni so I will call in there.

Money - Good to see you getting stuck in and doing your research before spending. I love looking at those style sites too. Great for getting ideas. I am currently rereading The Gospel According to Chanel.

One of the things I always notice on my travels is the way the locals dress......no national costume but their normal day to day dress.

When I went to the Baltic last year I was very impressed with the clothing in the shops, especially the knitwear. Scandi style is very paired down and simple with a limited colour palette of soft greys and blues. With the right colouring it looks lovely. Of course being tall, slender and Nordic helps.......

I also like some of the how to dress like an Italian sites. If you have curves like I do then going slightly Italian style works very well. It works better for me than trying to be too French Chic. You do need to be slim to pull that off well.

My curves are more Sophie Loren than Audrey Hepburn. ;)

So I would say be sure to dress for your body shape rather than just copying a certain style and hoping for the best. Take the elements of style that appeal to you and then adapt them to your colouring, height and body shape,

Dressing for your shape is really important. For example I have long legs and a comparatively short body, so I avoid jackets that are too long and definitely not loose and boxy. I go for tailored jackets that elongate my torso and show off the length of my legs.

A tip. When trying something on and you are not sure don’t rely on the mirror. Ask a sales assistant to take a photo of you on your mobile.

The camera is more unforgiving and trustworthy than a mirror. :rotfl:
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Chanie
    I hope you and your children have been enjoying your days out. It must have been the best surprise to come home the other day to find that your Mother had done a deep clean of your home. :)

Thank you, my birthday is actually on Sunday. :)

LL great tips about dressing for your body shape. :D It is a shame that my body is currently not the right shape for my clothes :rotfl:
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I learned to dress for my body shape years ago and it means that I make very few fashion mistakes, as I know what suits me.

Im an inverted triangle, which means I have broad shoulders, a big chest and slim hips and legs. Stuff to balance out my top half like A-line skirts and wide leg trousers suit me.

Once I learned how to dress for my body shape, I realised that I was gravitating towards items that suited me anyway, but I didn't know why.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LL great tips about dressing for your body shape. :D It is a shame that my body is currently not the right shape for my clothes :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I know what you mean sugarbaby.:D

I've got 3 things on my shopping list for clothes at the moment. First, the dress for the wedding I'm going to in May, next I want a pair of wide, cropped trousers as a change from jeans and third some loose, cool summer dresses.

Actually, make that 4 things as I also need some casual shoes but not sandals. I'm thinking Vans or Converse.

The summer dresses are for the evenings when I have my sunshine holiday in June/July. It's all to accommodate what will be my changing body shape over three weeks! Last year I took various skirts and trousers but as the weeks progressed the waists got more uncomfortable and by the last week only 2 A-line dresses felt comfortable. The trouble is that so many dresses are for the English summer and they are synthetic or jersey or too structured which wont work in 30 degrees plus.

Glad your course went well last night LL. How exciting!:)

I met a couple of friends for coffee this morning in the large M&S near me. I could have stuck around afterwards and browsed by I've come to really hate that place. The caf! was pleasant enough but then I just had to get out. It's become like searching through lots of over embellished rubbish to find the occasional classic (that's literally, not in M&S speak:eek:) item.

I wore my black skinny jeans, my long sleeved red Reiss top, a multi coloured Boden scarf and black quilted jacket. The only bit of M&S I was wearing was knickers and they're years old as M&S in their wisdom has discontinued them!:mad:
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Maman Asda have some nice sleeveless linen a-line dresses, also a small range of other linen items. I only looked at the shirts but there were other tops & trousers too.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Maman there are lots of packs of M & S knickers on eBay. They are sold by business sellers who are allowed to resell surplus stock and discontinued lines so you could well find just what you want on eBay. I have always preferred M & S knickers and since I discovered eBay I can pay a lot less and get lots of the type I prefer :D

I had the best time at the Jazz event that I went to last night. :D:j All 4 musicians were extremely talented and they exceeded my expectations. :T I was dancing all night, but for most of it I was sitting down dancing. :D 2 women got talking to me and I am meeting one of them at another Soul night on 20th April at the same venue. :cool: It is a beautifully appointed venue and it has so much to offer in terms of live music events, that I am sure that I will become somewhat of a regular. :)

I have received money for my birthday from my elder son £50, my sister J £60 and my sister H £100. I have not started spending yet though. :j:D:T
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    SUgarbaby.....I missed your birthday. So sorry. Belated happy birthday. Xx

Still raining.......:rotfl: but the sun is in its way. Allegedly.

Having a paperwork morning. Just Renewed travel and health insurance. Needless to say they have increased the premiums, of course.

This weekend will be spent having a final flourish getting the house ready for the photos on Monday and then we should go on the market some time next week.

I think I will investigate their job offer, see if I fancy it, I would only want part time or temporary though, maybe just provide holiday cover over the summer. The extra money would come in handy although the long term plan is still to update my therapists certificates and set up a little business.

Other than that no real news. Have a great weekend.
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Morning everyone

Looking forward to tomorrow where I get a full head of colour done as opposed to doing it at home myself - I'm looking forward to the results of someone proper doing it but mostly looking forward to having my hair washed by someone else - I love it! :o

In other news - I passed my driving test yesterday :T
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    LL my birthday is on Sunday :)

Oneday Congratulations on passing your driving test :D
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Well I could weep with pain and exhaustion..... I have been housefabbing and now I am absolutely done for. I forget I am no longer 30.

I have just cleaned my 110 year old Victorian tiled hall floor. Scraped off all the carpet glue, paint splashes and decades of gunge then two coats of tile restorer and I don’t know how many buckets of water. Just waiting for it to dry thoroughly and then I can seal and polish it.

All I can say is it now it looks beautiful, all restored to its former glory. It will look wonderful in the photos.

Tomorrow I need to get out the paint brushes and touch up a few scuff marks and just generally freshen up as needed and then run round with the hoover.

I have deep cleaned the kitchen and bathroom. Hopefully I can get out in the garden On Sunday and Monday to weed and scrub the paths. Actually it is a riot of spring flowers out there at the moment. Pity the trees aren’t in blossom but everything is so late this year. If we get the sunshine they have promised next week maybe the blossoms will come out in time for the viewers. It’s a pretty garden although if I was staying I would do more to it.

Hopefully I’ve done enough to get the interest and reach my target price. The house has never looked so nice.......it’s almost a shame to sell it.

Never mind I can do it all again. :rotfl:

I think I’ve earned myself a nice long soak In the bath and some serious pampering tonight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure