Curve Card technique - withdraw cash on any credit card with no fee

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share a quick tip for you fellow stoozers if you're not aware already (I didn't see a thread for this in the sub-forum)

If you apply for a curve card (you'll need to do it through the 'Curve' app on iphone or android)
you can add any card to the app and then pay through the selected credit card. You can withdraw up to £200 cash fee-free using the card and it will show on your credit card statement as a normal transaction rather than a cash withdrawal.

Also, you can get £5 in bonus points on sign up if you get recommened (PM me if you need a code). There's also a referral page on the referrers forum of this site.

Cheers! :beer:

Comments

• ricky_v
    ricky_v Posts: 330
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    £200 per calendar month, 2% charge thereafter according to the fair use policy

https://www.imaginecurve.com/fair-use/

Still, makes a slow stooz a little faster or the possibility of easy cash back on certain cards so I'll look into it abit more thanks :)
  • Now that the Curve card is Mastercard Debit (ask in the app if you still have the charge card - it doesn't have "Debit" on it)....

... it's become an even better deal for the self-employed or indeed anyone making a payment to HMRC.

Just used Curve to pay a chunk of tax - went through very quickly, no charges from HMRC, none from Curve. What's not to like?

This will really pick up the pace on my slow-stooze CC.

I have been withdrawing cash for spending too.
  • jtgaoler
    jtgaoler Posts: 33 Forumite
    Just to add one final method.

Various banking apps now let you "top up" with a debit card.

I've tried curve with Starling and it let me top up fine, essentially putting cash into a current account right off my Cc....
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 9 March 2018 at 3:31PM
    https://www.imaginecurve.com/fair-use/
    In addition to the fees listed above, any behaviour which Curve deems to be "cash recycling" is not permitted. This is where high volumes of cash (e.g. defined by a high cash to spend ratio) are taken out of an ATM using a credit card or other payment card, and then used to repay the card in order to gain rewards on the funding card or Curve Rewards. Depending on the account activity, "high volumes of cash withdrawals" could include spending which is under £200/ month as it will be assessed on the volume and frequency of ATM withdrawals compared to non-ATM spend. Any other equivalent usage which the Curve Compliance Team believes aims to achieve the same outcome, for example via the use of money transfer services, is also not permitted. Such behaviour may result in your Curve account being blocked or cancelled. See Section 6 of Curve Terms and Conditions for further information.

This will likely get your card banned. The odd cash withdraw is fine. but this will likely see your card blocked?
  • The_Urbanite
    The_Urbanite Posts: 359
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jtgaoler wrote: »
    Just to add one final method.

Various banking apps now let you "top up" with a debit card.

I've tried curve with Starling and it let me top up fine, essentially putting cash into a current account right off my Cc....

Good luck with that!
  • Curve Compliance Team are a pain in the neck. Questioned my spend when it's genuine.

If you are solely looking to transfer money etc, I'd say hit it hard and enjoy it while it lasts!!!
  • Unfortunately not with Curve at present. The top cards are Amex which Curve still don't support at present.

Everything else is capped at 0.5%, unless you trigger store-specific spend (e.g. 1% ASDA, 0.75% Amazon) - however the store specific spend doesn't trigger if you use curve.

So spend at Amazon and charge to Curve. Use Amazon as the underlying card and you'll only get the standard 0.5% as it's a transaction 'at' (through) Curve - sadly.

Effectively Curve maximum for ATM withdrawals is £200 * 12 * 0.5% - so £12 a year. If you do any cash recycling as suggested above, it's possible to get more but Curve will eventually boot you off if they suspect that. In terms of generating "extra" cashback - the real win is going to be for people using Curve (and then underlying Cashback Credit Card) where a debit card would normally be mandatory - e.g. HMRC. As HMRC is clearly a business expense, even Curve can't kick off about that.....
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 14 April 2018 at 9:20PM
    This is the reason I got Curve... To use it somewhere that doesn't take Visa credit cards (CostCo). I use it for everything now as it's easier, unless I need section 75 protection then I pay directly on my credit card.

I'd suggest not using it to get cashback (via cash recycling), it will only serve to implement costs on those of us who don't! That and you will be quickly booted off.

My only gripe with Curve is you cannot disable DCC (and therefore the associated 1% fee)... So I won't be using it abroad (having to change currency each time is a faff).
  • jtgaoler
    in order to gain rewards on the funding card or Curve Rewards
    This is the crucial part of the Fair Use policy.
    Simply topping up a prepaid card or account with your Curve card is not going to get you rewards on the funding card or Curve.
  • jtgaoler
    Good luck with that!
    Thanks! Working very well so far.
    Curve also kindly increased my limit when I asked on live chat.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback