And Baby Makes Three....

Comments

• Well thats me back on the forum, after time away.
    What has changed.
    • Well our kitchen heater blew,
    • We are currently re-mortgaging to make changes to the house
    • OH is now 25 weeks pregnant
    • I'm working extra hours to pay for this.
    • I've got one more week of Sky Sports, before I axe it - my new job means I am working every saturday and sunday, and working till 7pm most week days, so I figure whats the point in paying however much sky sports is, when I'm not taking advantage of it.
    • When ever I feel like treating myself, I put that money in a piggy bank and at the end of the month I am going to combine that with the sky savings and make an overpayment.
    • Starting to look at money differently, instead of the meal deal at Tesco, I now see that as a % of an overpayment, and go for the home made option instead.
    So thats my update. Nothing spectacular yet. But as one of my professors at college said "How do you eat an elephant? One mouthful at a time"
    FLC
    Mortgage: 01/02/14 - £108k
    Mortgage: Current - £97k
    Mission: MF by 50
  • Hurdler
    Hurdler Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Yeah I treated my accounts like I treated my approach to losing weight and getting back in shape - depriving yourself of things is not the way forward.

I found whenever I rang Sky to trim the fat from my package (my favourite was removing HD) - the conversation would go something like this:
    Them: Don't you like HD?
    Me: Oh yes, why I LOVE it
    Them: Then why are you taking it off?
    Me: Because I need the money and I can still watch my sport, films, etc - just not uber clear
    Them: Oh you poor we thing... we'll give you HD for free for 6 months until things pick up for you...

But deffo trim what you don't need.
    I just switched gyms to one about £25 cheaper - the pool is 5m less than the one in the other place and I don't get a complementatry towel - big whoop! I take two with me...!
    • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
    • MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
    • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2023 #70: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £667.95/£667.95
  • Well, its been a busy couple of days. Remortgaged, heating broke down, and works been manic.
    Discovered by accident that we get free life and critical insurance through work. So after checking precisely what cover we get, and how much - we cancelled our life and critical insurance that we were paying £65 per month.
    Another OP there.
    Other than that and trying to find a reliable and honest plumber. Not much has changed.
    Hope everyone in MortgageFreeWannabee land is ok.
    FLC
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sounds like you are doing well FLC :)
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • Morning all
    Thanks SmlSave - yeah things seem to be moving on at pace at the moment!!
    So, as I was drifting off to sleep last night, a thought occurred.
    Could I set up my DD for my mortgage to come out of my CC account and earn clubcard points at Mr T*sc*? - it wouldn't be 1000's of points, probably £2 or £3 per month, but Every Little Helps.

What are your thoughts?
    FLC
  • Good evening people
    Been working all weekend, so haven't had a moment to post.
    Unsure of putting mortgage on credit card - not sure if its "allowed"
    Anyone got a great overpayment spreadsheet I can use to crunch numbers with? I want to start making overpayments, but would like to see exactly how much I need to OP to make dreams a reality.
    FLC
  • Well here's another update
    28 week scan and all's well
    Remortgage complete
    And we have £50 already for the first OP.
    Anxious to make the first payment, first step on a 17yr journey!
    Any more advice people?
  • Muser1
    Muser1 Posts: 795 Forumite
    Hi!

Do you have boiler cover? We pay £11 per month for very good cover.

Lots of people do surveys. I do valued opinions and use vouchers towards birthdays etc.

Batch cooking saves us a fortune and will be a life saver once baby is a bit older and you are both working.

Take hand me down clothes and equipment if people offer they use them for such a short time it's not worth buying new if you can help it.

Have you joined top cash back and £co? Well worth doing this. Each easiest op you will ever make.

Read lots of diaries and pick and choose the tips that suit your life.

Good luck.
    Mortgage Jan 13 99260.00 87253 April 2017
    Emergency fund 700.00
  • Thanks for the tips Muser1
    We don't have boiler cover, been quite lucky with the heating - but will look into it.
    Avid user of tcb and £co. Not been spending at all recently, but when we do I will try and use tcb when I can.
    Will def be batch cooking, great idea thanks. Our best purchase has been a slow cooker, means we can make great stews and casseroles cheapily.
    Every OP is a step closer to our dream!
  • Well after a long night thinking, I've realised I have been a daft FLC
    I've been tunnel-visioned on becoming MF and what that will bring to my new family.
    However, surely my priority should be the car loan, thats currently £9 on a 6% interest, whereas the mortgage is 2.59%
    Like I said, been daft - new to this sort of thing, and making schoolboy errors.
    So, first thing will be to save until we can finish the car loan - that in turn will provide us with an extra £205 per month to OP the mortgage
    FLC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business