Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

Options

Comments

• ClareJM001
    Options
    my claim goes back to 2010 so i would've thought i had a chance..........
    111KAB wrote: »
    Yes read the thread and FAQ's as you will stand zero chance if you think (court) claims can go back to 2005.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ClareJM001 wrote: »
    my claim goes back to 2010 so i would've thought i had a chance..........

Yes you probably do stand a chance if you know the 'law' and realise claims cannot go back to 2005 and the ECC (like the CAA) is a waste of time.
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sandramcuk wrote: »
    Can I find out if the am flight actually existed at the time of booking??

Possibly. But I don't know how. This sub forum more deals with the compensation available under EU Regulation 261/2004.
    You might be better off posting a new thread in this other sub forum :)
  • taz071980
    Options
    I know this may have been covered however I would like to know some opinions on my case.

In June 2013 we went to Jamaica. The flight from Birmingham was delayed for 3hrs45. No info was given to us at the airport until 3hrs in where we were given a voucher for £5 for food.

When we returned I decided to put in the template letter and claim. The first response received cited bad weather and airport closure as the delay. I responded to this via the CAA and they sent the request back to Thomson. The airport was open and it was definitely not bad weather.

Thomson did not reply after CAA intervention so I emailed them on 9 Janaury 2014. Today I received a response again saying bad weather had caused a knock on delay to us and as it was exceptional circumstances they would not pay.

When on the aircraft flying out, the Pilot told us the aircraft had been flown from Bristol due to a fault noted on the aircraft we were due to fly on. The fault was picked up the previous day. So with that in mind, surely Thomson had enough time and notice to rectify the situation before our flight?

Any thoughts would be great as I am now at a loss as to whether I should respond or leave it.......
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    taz071980 wrote: »
    I know this may have been covered

It has, so please read the FAQs
    taz071980 wrote: »
    Any thoughts would be great as I am now at a loss as to whether I should respond or leave it.......

If you read the FAQs, you'll find all you need. No-one can do it for you (well, apart from a no win no fee firm).
  • CobyBenson
    Options
    It would be helpful if you gave you flight details.

If you were TOM564 or TOM796 (BHX -> MBJ) on 14th June 2013 then Thomson will defend the claim on the grounds that "[the aircraft sustained] a hydraulic failure with its' rudder, rendering the aircraft unfit to fly."

In their opinion this is extraordinary, in my opinion it isn't.

With regards the bad weather, this was presumably on a previous flight. In my opinion bad weather on a previous flight is not extraordinary, however this argument isn't always successful at Court.
  • doublechris
    Options
    I have been pursuing a claim via the small claims court and Thomsons sent a letter dated 3/2 saying they were applying for a stay pending results of the appeal. Today I've received a letter from the court dated 5/2 saying
    1."It is ordered that the claim be struck out,the action not having been brought within two years of the arrival at destination of the flight referred to in the statement of case and the right to damages for delay having therefore been extinguished."
    2.Because the order has been made without a hearing,the parties have the right to have the order set aside,varied or stayed. A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service."
    I'm really confused and have no idea what to do next. I would be really grateful for any advice. Thanks.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been pursuing a claim via the small claims court and Thomsons sent a letter dated 3/2 saying they were applying for a stay pending results of the appeal. Today I've received a letter from the court dated 5/2 saying
    1."It is ordered that the claim be struck out,the action not having been brought within two years of the arrival at destination of the flight referred to in the statement of case and the right to damages for delay having therefore been extinguished."
    2.Because the order has been made without a hearing,the parties have the right to have the order set aside,varied or stayed. A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service."
    I'm really confused and have no idea what to do next. I would be really grateful for any advice. Thanks.
    OK this is bad news. You need to get onto the court straight away and ask for setaside. How a judge can make this order when the defendants have only asked for a stay pending an appeal!
    Shocking.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    How a judge can make this order when the defendants have only asked for a stay pending an appeal!
    Shocking.

Shocking indeed! How can a judge be so badly advised about the law generally and the impending appeal case specifically?
  • phritchie
    Options

Don't panic! The wording sounds bad, but it's in your hands. This happened to me too - I've been in court today to discuss it and I'll post that separately.

Complete an N244 Application, and send that off along with the £80 fee to the court ASAP. Send a copy directly to Thomson too.

If you only received it today, and it was dated the 5th, add a note explaining that. It must have been slow in the mail, or just as likely slow getting posted by the court.

You'll need to write an explanation of why you think the case should not be struck out, eg the time limit is actually 6 years. I used the wording from this postt: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=63036105&postcount=2880

It was enough to convince the judge that the 2 year rule was under dispute, and a hearing on the issue was needed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback