can i claim child tax credits for my grandchildren

My daughter and her 2 children are living with me temporarily. My daughter has been trying to claim tax credits but cannot as they are saying her national insurance number isnt activated. We have been waiting for 3 weeks and when ever we call them they say she has to wait another 2 weeks. She is getting desperate now as she has no money and i cannot afford to support them on my income.
Can i apply for child tax credits until she gets sorted out?

Comments

• miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    No, she must apply. She should ask to speak to a manager and find out why there is such a delay.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    why dont you give them a ring and ask. I am not sure but probably not but no harm asking

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-credits

Tax Credit Helpline
    Telephone: 0345 300 3900
    Textphone: 0345 300 3909
    Outside the UK: +44 2890 538 192
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
    Saturday 8am to 4pm
  • shazm.69
    shazm.69 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Who do i ring to ask to speak to a manager the tax credits or the national insurance helpline???
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Not being funny but, in your other thread you said your grandchildren are Spanish citizens. Is nobody chasing the Spanish social security people? If nothing else it will increase the chances of a payout.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ILW wrote: »
    Not being funny but, in your other thread you said your grandchildren are Spanish citizens. Is nobody chasing the Spanish social security people? If nothing else it will increase the chances of a payout.

But why claim from Spain when you can get more off us mugs in this country.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • My daughter is British and as far as i am concerned so are her children. They were only born in spain.
    And as for spanish social they didnt get a cent when they were there so why wld they give them anything now? Her partner wants to find work asap but is waiting for a national insurance number as he needs a CSCS card. The child tax credits will go towards feeding the babies as my daughter cannot.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    She also needs to ring the DWP up and sort the NI number out. Ive never heard of an NI no not being activated.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ILW
    edited 6 December 2012 at 10:46AM
    shazm.69 wrote: »
    My daughter is British and as far as i am concerned so are her children. They were only born in spain.
    And as for spanish social they didnt get a cent when they were there so why wld they give them anything now? Her partner wants to find work asap but is waiting for a national insurance number as he needs a CSCS card. The child tax credits will go towards feeding the babies as my daughter cannot.
    Are you sure you are getting the full story?
    The Spanish system is pretty similar to the UK one.
    The UK do not get many "benefit tourists" from Spain.
    Why are the paternal grandparent refusing to help?
  • shazm.69
    shazm.69 Posts: 88 Forumite
    No it most definately isnt the same. If you have no money in spain and no job you are entitled to nothing. If you are not paying into the social you dont get anything. Most jobs in spain are paid cash so the employer gets away with not paying your social. I lived there for a while and if i couldnt pay my electricity they would come and remove the metre until you pay the full amount. They are mercenary i have experienced this myself.
  • ILW
    OP
    You need to step back and take all the emotion out of this.
    From your replies, I could not tell whether this is an issue for DWP or Immigration.
    If you cannot be clear with the authorities, none of them will help you.
    For example: What nationality are the children officially?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure