New to business tax just a simple question

Options
Just working out how much to sell my product for cost vs sale price =profit type of calculation to work out margins etc

Ok so

If I sell a product for £10 and it costs my £5 to produce. Then in theory do I need to take 19% off £5 for the tax man as £5 will be profit?? Taking my actual profit to £4.05
??

I plan to take some courses on this stuff so I'm not completely dumb. Haha

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ergot2005 wrote: »
    Just working out how much to sell my product for cost vs sale price =profit type of calculation to work out margins etc

Ok so

If I sell a product for £10 and it costs my £5 to produce. Then in theory do I need to take 19% off £5 for the tax man as £5 will be profit?? Taking my actual profit to £4.05
    ??

I plan to take some courses on this stuff so I'm not completely dumb. Haha
    if "you" are a limited company then yes, it would pay 19% corporation tax on its profits

if on the other hand, you are merely you, then no, you will pay income tax on your profit, which may be 0, 20%, 40% or 45% depending on how successful you are
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Op could be Scottish resident?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Op could be Scottish resident?
    then they can sort it out themselves :rotfl:
  • ergot2005
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    then they can sort it out themselves :rotfl:

No I'm English.

I'm probably going to launch at the end of this year . My products are for the pet industry.

But I'm on a journey at the moment making sure my sh1ts in order. Trying to make sure everything is fine correctly and not half arsed
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know I sound like scratched record but, an hour with an accountant may prove very beneficial/cost effective when setting up.

Also, if you're looking at help, including webinars courses, these aren't bad as an introduction to running a business and the tax implications;

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/hmrc-webinars-email-alerts-and-videos
  • ChuckMountain
    Options
    There are a whole load of considerations to make in setting product pricing and I would be interested in what you have included in your £5 of costs. You may well be looking at it the wrong way too.

As others have stated are you setting up a limited company to sell these? That might be a sensible route depending on the volume you expect to sell and that will determine what taxes you may pay.

If the £5 costs just is the raw materials\manufacturing costs to make said item have you considered:-

Labour (yours or an employee)
    Rent\Building Costs
    Energy
    Insurance
    Marketing\Promotions
    Distribution
    VAT

All apart from the last one are business expenses which may come off before tax is due.

The other way of looking at is what would the market rate be for your item. If your item costs £5 to make if the retail rate could be £20 then sell at that. Likewise if the market rate is £6 then it might not be a sustainable business.

As uknick states talk to an accountant and do some courses.
  • ergot2005
    ergot2005 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    There are a whole load of considerations to make in setting product pricing and I would be interested in what you have included in your £5 of costs. You may well be looking at it the wrong way too.

As others have stated are you setting up a limited company to sell these? That might be a sensible route depending on the volume you expect to sell and that will determine what taxes you may pay.

If the £5 costs just is the raw materials\manufacturing costs to make said item have you considered:-

Labour (yours or an employee)
    Rent\Building Costs
    Energy
    Insurance
    Marketing\Promotions
    Distribution
    VAT

All apart from the last one are business expenses which may come off before tax is due.

The other way of looking at is what would the market rate be for your item. If your item costs £5 to make if the retail rate could be £20 then sell at that. Likewise if the market rate is £6 then it might not be a sustainable business.

As uknick states talk to an accountant and do some courses.

I'll at some point be talking to an accountant for sure.

Market rate is around the 10 pound mark the ingredients pot and labels come to a staggering £1 plus sales tax leaves me with 8pound

Of course website hosting costs
    Domain name
    Postage
    And all of the other boring things eats away at the 8 pounds profit...... I was not really sure how yo calculate a monthly cost into my unit costs

For now the company manufacturing will be run from home until I outgrow myself with volume or product verify
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is this a food product? If so, have you seen this;

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb

If it's cosmetics;

http://www.soapmakingmagazine.co.uk/blog/index.php/2017/01/30/sell-products-legally/

I'd have thought complying with the legislation will cost something, which I assume you'll want to factor into your costs.
  • ChuckMountain
    Options
    ergot2005 wrote: »
    I'll at some point be talking to an accountant for sure.

Market rate is around the 10 pound mark the ingredients pot and labels come to a staggering £1 plus sales tax leaves me with 8pound

Of course website hosting costs
    Domain name
    Postage
    And all of the other boring things eats away at the 8 pounds profit...... I was not really sure how yo calculate a monthly cost into my unit costs

For now the company manufacturing will be run from home until I outgrow myself with volume or product verify

What do you mean by sales tax?

The 19% you mention in the first post, sounds as if it is corporation tax which is paid on the profits of a company after allowable expenses are deducted. You don't take it off your sales revenue. In the first year of setting a company you could well make a loss as you pay setup costs for equipment e.g. cooker, packaging machine, compliance etc.

If you are talking about VAT, assuming you are VAT registered than that is different and then you will also be looking at taking off the VAT you pay on vatable items used in the production ingredients.

If for example let's say you could sell £20,000 a year of product, which is roughly around 40 products a week. Then you would not need to be VAT registered so there is no VAT element to worry about (turnover would have to go over £85,000 to have to register)

Here is a very rough calculation, in terms of costs you mention

Revenue: 20,000
    Production Costs: -2,000
    Postage: -2,000 (this could be a lot more if heavy items)
    Website&Design: -1,000
    Insurance: -500
    Accountant: -500
    Equipment: -2000
    Energy: -500
    Misc: -1000

Total Profit: £10,500

The next bit depends on whether you are a sole trader or a limited company.

As a sole trader you have to pay National Insurance on profits which used one of the online calcs would be around £30 a month. If you had no other jobs and the full personal tax allowance available to you then you pay no tax. So your take home pay could be around £10,140 or so.

A limited company is slightly different in that you would pay yourself a wage and dividends and in this case you would end up with a salary of around the same amount as your net with the company paying some NI. As that salary and NI would be equivalent to the £10,500 then again there would be no corporation (19%) tax to pay.

If you made a lot more money then the sums would be clearly different and the different between a Ltd company and sole trader can differ. The more you earn the potential of a limited company been more beneficial.
  • ergot2005
    ergot2005 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    I meant corp tax I'm sorry for confusing matters.

I really don't know how much I'll make first years. I plan to supply worldwide each packaged product would only weigh in 400gram

I understand about profit offset to not pay corp tax and stuff. But still very wet behind the ears.

I currently work full time and earn around 40k a year..... much more and I'll be on the higher tax band. My wife works very little (3 kids) so perhaps I could pay her a wage/divi up to her personal allowance

Am I right in thinking I have a divi allowance that is non taxable ? Or is this old rule or made up rule lol.

I don't imagine for a good few years I'll making an actual profit anyway so we are all good for a while
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure