Being given the chop and fighting them

Was told that the team and business unit I work in is being deleted in a forthcoming restructure that will lead to a number of redundancies.

We were all advised to take the organisation's current Voluntary Severance (VS) package before it expires in a month. If we don't then the formal review and implementation will take up to the end of September, followed by compulsory.

If I take VS it's a better package and I can go pretty much right away, which considering how stressful this is, is quite appealing.

But.

I am signing my rights away if I do this and looking at the proposal my actual job isn't redundant.

The official policy they've given clearly says redundancy is when the activity ceases. Then the written justification they've given me goes into granular detail about how my team's work will be reallocated within the organisation.

There is not one word of what we do that won't be done anymore.

Without going into detail there is no organisation like this one in my industry that doesn't have the business unit I work in. It's to do with direct income generation and the fact they are deleting it is unbelievable.

I probably will just take VS as it's so stressful being there, but were I to stick it out could I use this as a case for ACAS? Would I likely get anywhere? It's services not manufacturing.

Comments

• bopsybunny
    bopsybunny Posts: 109 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    So sorry to hear your situation. I'm in a similar position. We've just entered a consultation period for my department, but in the new proposed structure my role has been cut. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice as this was a complete surprise to me and I have no experience of it before, but I will be following this thread.
    Wedding savings Jan 19: £1.4k. Sept 19: £7.5k. Mar 20: £12.6k
    Goal: Pay for wedding by August 2020 <3
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Arklight wrote: »

I probably will just take VS as it's so stressful being there, but were I to stick it out could I use this as a case for ACAS? Would I likely get anywhere? It's services not manufacturing.

The question would be, stick it out for what?

You could claim unfair dismissal, but is that going to get you any more money than VR?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The best you could hope for is to be redeployed to the team that wil be doing your work. If you think you will struggle to find alternative work, you might be better hanging on to see if this is a possibility, but I would try to find out what the compulsory terms will be before the vr option expires.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Your job is redundant.

best you can hope for( if you stay) is a reasonable selection process if you can be pooled with others.

If this is a big mistake make sure there are no re-hire restrictions on the package for when they rebuild the team.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    bopsybunny wrote: »
    So sorry to hear your situation. I'm in a similar position. We've just entered a consultation period for my department, but in the new proposed structure my role has been cut. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice as this was a complete surprise to me and I have no experience of it before, but I will be following this thread.

Sorry to hear that. It's a horrible place to be. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

There;s a lot of feeling urgency to "do" something, but all I can do is wait at the moment, and try and keep things in perspective. It's a job. There are other jobs, life goes on.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How long have you worked there?
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I can't say too much but my attempts at resistance didn't meet with much success. You can basically try and negotiate a better settlement agreement, at a position of weakness as they know you are trying to avoid getting a poorer compulsory redundancy payment later, or just wait for compulsory. Which is hell.

Anecdotally the people who have done best are the ones who applied for voluntary severance but weren't bothered whether they continued with it once approved.

All the advice I got from the union and paid for legal just said if they want to make you redundant they will. You can attempt to go through a tribunal if you are made compulsorily redundant but you would have to have a pretty compelling case for unfair dismissal, be prepared to swallow thousands in legal fees, and be prepared to be awarded very little if you have found another job.
  • happyc84
    happyc84 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    To the Op a few questions, as I've been in this situation.
    • How long have you worked there? 2 years or more
    • Are you in a Union.
    There is very good information on the ACAS website.

Good luck with the options,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport