Voluntary redundancy question

Options
Hi.

First time poster but hoping you can help me.

I have been with my company for 19 years. At first I loved it. Then we got outsourced and now i have manager about 200 miles away, never comes over to see us, and rarely speaks to us. I used to have quite a technical job but now it's pretty much data input which is fairly soul destroying.

The company offered expressions of interest for voluntary redundancy. I applied as did 2 others in my team. I have been refused due to my skill set. My colleague who has more experience on the current system has been accepted even tho she admitted to the manager that she onky applied to see what the figures were like. The other colleague is currently on leave so I don't know their situation.

So I have many questions...
1) can they differentiate like that,? We have pretty much the same service length, same skill set (altho theirs is better on the current system), we got the same appraisal marking etc etc.
2) in the last 3 years i have been off twice on long term sick with stress, anxiety and depression. I reckon that they think i will walk out of the job so saving a redundancy pay out. Can they do this?
3) i have gone to our union and am hoping to appeal the decision but is this likely to happen?

No one at work can understand their decision. I know they can choose basically who they want to go and who they don't but I honestly feel that they are wanting me to walk out. My problem is is that i can't afford to do that as I won't get the same pay for number of hours elsewhere and i have childcare costs to pay for. so I am currently looking at staying in a job that I have been utterly deskilled in for another 18 months at least until my youngest starts school whilst my colleague who 'isn't even sure she wants to go' could leave at the end of August.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am utterly heartbroken at this decision.

Comments

• Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    First thoughts,
    Yeah they can differentiate like that, they asked for volunteers, they got some, they chose one.

Everything else is superfluous.

It sucks, I've been there but they hold the cards here and if you try and force their hand you could come unstuck.
    Space available for rent
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    1) Yes
    2) They can think anything they like. But how would you know what they are thinking?
    3) Appeal what? They said no. There's no entitlement to appeal.

If your colleague doesn't want it, then they may turn it down. In which case it may be offered to someone else. Do you really want to tell them that you are that fed up - because that's the quickest route to your second scenario, surely?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure