Who should be kicked out of this council house?

I feel this matter is quite serious and should be addressed to my local council business assurance/fraud team. I have reason to suspect my father hasn't declared an occupant living at this address.

I'm a 26 year old male living in a three bedroom house and paying rent, there are three registered occupants living here and receiving Job Seekers' Allowance (myself and my parents who are separated). I myself, apparently not on the tenancy agreement. My sister (who works full-time) also lives here but this has not been mentioned to the council and she has also been paying 'rent'.

I understand this is a serious matter and as a family member has affected me on a personal level, my parents have an alcohol problem and i believe my sister's 'rent' is funding it. I've brought up my concerns to my father on many occasions but has resulted in physical violence and i've been threatened with being kicked out.

I feel mistrusted and i'm concerned about my family's well-being because of his actions. I wish to discuss how this situation should be dealt with.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    edited 16 November 2012 at 4:54PM
    Danone wrote: »
    I feel this matter is quite serious and should be addressed to my local council business assurance/fraud team. I have reason to suspect my father hasn't declared an occupant living at this address.

I'm a 26 year old male living in a three bedroom house and paying rent, there are three registered occupants living here and receiving Job Seekers' Allowance (myself and my parents who are separated). I myself, apparently not on the tenancy agreement. My sister (who works full-time) also lives here but this has not been mentioned to the council and she has also been paying 'rent'.

I understand this is a serious matter and as a family member has affected me on a personal level, my parents have an alcohol problem and i believe my sister's 'rent' is funding it. I've brought up my concerns to my father on many occasions but has resulted in physical violence and i've been threatened with being kicked out.

I feel mistrusted and i'm concerned about my family's well-being because of his actions. I wish to discuss how this situation should be dealt with.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Danone - we're really sorry to hear about your circumstances at home and what's going on for you. We'd urge you to contact your local bureau and set up an appointment with an adviser there, and as soon as you possibly can. They can advise you on the different aspects of your situation and help you with possible options.

In case you'd want to have information concerning aspects of your father's behaviour and other sources of support (including helplines), we have some on our Adviceguide website, and there's also information on the Shelter site.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Who are you paying rent to? There are four people living in the house - you, your sister and your parents?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 November 2012 at 5:29PM
    Move out yourself,,,,,,,,,,,, Problem solved.

I dont actually see what your problem is.
    You are paying rent, your sister is paying rent.
    All of you are funding their drinking.

Children are allowed to live with their parents,
    Her living there is no different to you living there.

Am I missing something.

The tenancy etc is none of your business.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Do you actually have to be registered to be living with your parents in a council house.

I believe all you have to do is have the name of the tenants registered. ie, your mother and father.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Best thing to do would be for you to move somewhere you are safe, also contact some of the alcohol charities for support. If you think there is benefit fraud report that.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • McKneff wrote: »
    Move out yourself,,,,,,,,,,,, Problem solved.

I dont actually see what your problem is.
    You are paying rent, your sister is paying rent.
    All of you are funding their drinking.

Children are allowed to live with their parents,
    Her living there is no different to you living there.

Am I missing something.

The tenancy etc is none of your business.

My thoughts exactly! You cannot dictate to someone how they should be spending any money that they receive even though it is your sister that appears to be funding their habit. If you move out they will then,no doubt, have to use her money to help with the rent.
    Difficulties are at the moment more to do with the violence that seems to be happening on a regular basis! ..Not good!!
    All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure