Free/cheap website

Hi everyone,

I am starting up my own business and wanted to ask if anyone knew of any free/cheap website builders.

When I say free/cheap, I mean both creating and hosting, as a few websites try and catch you out at the end with big fees.

I am not looking for anything fancy - even a single page hosted will do until my business picks up and I can afford a better one!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• What is your budget?
  • What is your budget?

As little as possible - obviously subjective but Wix does something along the lines of £6 a month.

I know that doesn't sound a lot to most people but I obviously want to money save and keep my start up costs as little as possible!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What are you doing with it? Local walking group is on Wordpress and that does what we need (walks programme, news, photos). Some businesses just get by with Facebook.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • All I really want is to list my services and have an about me page at this point.

I am hoping to get a .co.uk custom domain but that's extra as well as website fees which from a lot of providers seems to be about £15-20 a year plus the monthly website costs. I want my site to be professional so I don't turn potential clients away, but if my business doesn't succeed then I'm throwing money away for nothing! I know starting a business a risk but I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal and spending money where it's worth it!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You can get free hosting (no ads) from various providers.

000webhost and Hostinger free service have merged but still provide £0 basic hosting.

https://www.000webhost.com/

You may need to do more work yourself if you go down this route, and you may also find that support isn't as good as it would be with a paid service.

If you want a good quality, cheap paid service, then FreeVirtualServers have an option at £4.99pm.

Even the cheap/free services have various site building tools available, so you should be able to get up and running fairly quickly. Or as already mentioned, Wix, Weebly, Wordpress, etc.
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    As little as possible - obviously subjective but Wix does something along the lines of £6 a month.

I use Aquiss, .co.uk is £8 per year, hosting £3 a month, Wordpress install is free from the control panel.

Plus the dreaded VAT.

Find yourself a template, many are free and you are half way there.

You then own the domain and have full control over it, can add an SEO pack for free - what is there not to like?
    if my business doesn't succeed then I'm throwing money away for nothing!

IMHO not a good start, you need to have confidence - it will succeed, your website is your shop window - have faith, do a good job and consider the money spent an investment in yourself and your future.
  • it will succeed, your website is your shop window -
    Although too many exclamation marks might put people off.....
  • Hi

Have you had a look at One.com?

You get a year's free hosting for the first year and sometimes the domain name is free, it works out about £11 for the year and you can build it using Wordpress to keep things simple.

At the end of the first year, you can ditch it or keep going/ If you do, the price does go up but not bank breakingly, especially as you'll hopefully be over the worst of your start up by then.

:) All the best with your business.
    ~ * ~ "A goal without a plan is just a wish" Antoine de Saint Expuery ~ * ~
  • On the otherside of this godaddy generally good for the cost on hosting and support around £12 a month but with wordpress support.
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Blimey. £12 per month? And what exactly is Wordpress support?

I pay £3.70 per month (incl VAT) for hosting for 5 main domains with unlimited subdomains, unlimited bandwidth and unlimited email accounts.

Has cPanel with one click Wordpress installation, along with countless other CMS options and apps.

Also has a free website builder included in the package.

Domains are currently about £8 per year + VAT (.co.uk), but worth shopping around for those. Remember that you don't need to use the same people to buy the domain from as for hosting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure