PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Current property owner and first time buyer - help to buy conflict

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Goldcrypto wrote: »
    Corporations that qualify for no SDLT.
    Where did you get the idea that corporations pay no SDLT? If anything they pay much more under some conditions, or at least the same as private individuals and are not eligible for any reliefs that I know of. Happy to be corrected with specific information.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty-land-tax-corporate-bodies
    Does not matter if he is not a first time buyer. Government assistance loan and no extra SDLT is available for everyone as long as do not own another property. That aspect has nothing to do with not been a first time buyer.

Although, I am failing to see what your posts add here? They are looking at options available to them under the current framework. So no help with question!
    First of all - the eligibility for SDLT relief and Equity loan is different under "first time buyer". The former is lost regardless whether you still own the property or it was disposed off, provided you owned a property at any point in the past. The latter can be "regained" if the existing property is disposed at point of completion on the new property.

And you keep insisting that your brother will have to pay EXTRA tax. Which is far from truth, he will be paying the REGULAR rate of tax.
  • Goldcrypto
    Goldcrypto Posts: 104 Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Ah, we've established that your plan isn't going to work as he likes his money more than his girlfriend. I missed that. My bad.

He must have decided that because someone here told him he couldn't have his cake and eat it.

Carry on. I'll chip in when I can be helpful.

The question related to his investment options is just that , investment options! Not relationship waffle. Better think of them and X and Y looking to do investment Z. Do not get fixed on their sex and background. Or what colour dress she maybe wearing on day of purchase or if she gets her nails painted. Only the technical aspects to the question.

Thanks again.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • Goldcrypto
    edited 8 August 2018 at 12:07PM
    sal_III wrote: »
    Where did you get the idea that corporations pay no SDLT?

'As the proposals stand, individuals who hold more than 15 properties may not have to pay the tax - and companies holding at least that number will be exempt from stamp duty when they buy more.'

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-3490520/How-landlords-using-companies-dodge-stamp-duty-crackdown-property-purchases.html

There was legislation proposed when I last read into this. However, they may not have passed it as I can not currently see anything on the Gov site, so I could be wrong about it standing today. Not sure if any legislation incentives were passed to favour large corporations with a bulk of properties?

Regardless, he would not benefit from that.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    'As the proposals stand, individuals who hold more than 15 properties may not have to pay the tax - and companies holding at least that number will be exempt from stamp duty when they buy more.'

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-3490520/How-landlords-using-companies-dodge-stamp-duty-crackdown-property-purchases.html

There was legislation proposed when I last read into this. However, they may not have passed it as I can not currently see anything on the Gov site, so I could be wrong about it standing today. Not sure if any legislation incentives were passed to favour large corporations with a bulk of properties?

Regardless, he would not benefit from that.

So, referring back to when you were specifically asking a question in bold about what successful property investors do and I answered and told you that they pay the full amount of Stamp Duty?

All this bluster and the source of your complaint comes not from experience, not even the .gov website, but from a news article written before the SDLT changes were introduced.

Welcome to the world of being a successful property developer and paying your taxes where due.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Goldcrypto
    edited 8 August 2018 at 5:51PM
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    So, referring back to when you were specifically asking a question in bold about what successful property investors do and I answered and told you that they pay the full amount of Stamp Duty?

All this bluster and the source of your complaint comes not from experience, not even the .gov website, but from a news article written before the SDLT changes were introduced.

Welcome to the world of being a successful property developer and paying your taxes where due.

More useless waffle and unrelated nonsense. I was highlighting to another poster what I knew about corporations at the time of the announcements. It serves no purpose to look into that avenue what the current criteria is. It does not affect them if it was 10 properties or 15 or 30 or x,y,z requirement for the company. He is not setting up a company - he would not have that opportunity.

Where did property developer come from?

All you have done is offer nothing of use to the question. *How greedy investors are equating them to benefit cheats? :rotfl: (erm no people are just making honest, hard working, humble investments for themselves, families and future pension plans) * Your political view on real estate economics (joke) * You need to pay SDLT (erm, obviously).

Nothing of use to the question on structuring options or other opportunities to consider. Nada. Possibly if you used your time economically productive, instead of adding these negative posts, then you might be adding more to your investment options.

Here is an idea. Go and comment on some other post, as am sure your merry band of cheer leaders will continue to add to your 'thanks' ( thus giving further a continued delusional bubble to your self importance of your posts), regardless of the unrelated waffle you have added to this thread, while painting their nails.

To those that have added useful advice to the question, thanks, and others looking to stick to the question will be welcome to add anything.

W Buffett
  • studentguy
    studentguy Posts: 188 Forumite
    This has got to be a joke post surely, no one can be this deluded.

Stop trying to play the system and pay your tax. Its simple as that. The tax breaks were put in so that people who are buying their first home get some help, not so someone who has a rental income several times the cost of a mortgage on a property can maintain his investment portfolio. There are not enough houses for people to get on the ladder, the Govt are purposefully penalising those who are using houses as an investment rather than a home, so if you want to continue to do it you have to play by the rules.

You and your brother are part of the problem. It's disgraceful and frankly immoral that you're trying to game the system, and if you do so, I really hope you get caught and fined to hell, it couldn't happen to nicer people.
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
  • Goldcrypto
    edited 9 August 2018 at 6:20AM
    studentguy wrote: »
    This has got to be a joke post surely, no one can be this deluded.

Stop trying to play the system and pay your tax. .

What tax are they not looking at paying? What are you talking about?

The question started of with the simple premise that 1 person is a homeowner but the partner (not married) is not and a first time buyer and not a property owner. Simply asking what the options are available to them under the current property legislation. The smart thing to do is ask (professionals / forums etc) to see what options are available to them! They wanted to see if they can qualify for anything. You like many others have had nothing of use.

Currently we have 1. They buy together from the start a undervalue property and have no option to apply for any loan plus pay the additional SDLT. This property becomes their primary residential. 2. She buys herself (she has saved, has a good career and can do so without the partner) without him and then is entitled to all options of HTB L and not additional SDLT. If later they both want to be on the land registry then he can remortgage his property, buy a portion of her equitymof the property and they can both own the home as their primary residential. At that point she pays her HTB L back and they pay the additional SDLT at that stage. Although, as pointed out by actually useful comments, this may not be that useful anyway as limits them to new builds, properties at current market rates etc.

So what is your problem with that? They are not trying to avoid anything! Or are the type of people to do anything wrong. Hence, the reason for asking the questions. Simply looking at options available. Lets not forget this couple are not married and who knows if will marry or what future relationship holds. They are correct at least looking into what options they are 'allowed' and makes most 'economic' sense.

You and your brother are part of the problem. It's disgraceful and frankly immoral

With me? Why would I be the problem (although I completely disagree the claim that some small number of people like my brother owning 1 property investment alone are the problem). Or just another poorly thought reply? I do not own any investment property? Only the property as my residence as unlike my brother my career does not require moving overseas as much.

So you feel my brother should never have got on the property ladder as an investor with one property? As he could not lay down roots with a primary residence. So not doing so, he should have waited , god knows how many years until he knew gain he was going to be based in London and not out of UK, and in that time he should have continued working hard and saved cash earning no interest in the bank while London property prices continue to skyrocket (overseas investors flooding in!) so he is priced out of the market when he comes to buy? Or you and others did not think about that? In the meantime it allowed him to get into the property market and provided a service as a landlord for other professional people to live there.

The property was not left empty like many overseas investors buying bulk properties in London and now other major UK cities. Many of those overseas investors have no interest to rent out as they are simply looking at storing their assets in a stable market and possibly looking for capital growth only with no interest rental yield. Those are the problems foe the UK property market. Vast empty residential buildings that could be used. It is overseas investors and those with vast property portfolios the government should be looking at controlling more. Not the hard working British person or retired couple who manages to get themselves into a position to buy just 1 other investment property for their retirement, plan to pass on in their family or rent out and provide a useful service. Some level of investment is healthy for real estate market.

The point is many of these posts (only a few have provided useful factual information to the question) are just irrelevant views of people and not helpful. Simply they had a question and best way is to offer a solution. So answers are they can do option A or option B or option C but can not do option D etc Simply outlining the solutions without any background views. They are two hard working British individual professionals who continue to make a lot of sacrifices for their time with their careers and savings so as 'Dave Ramsay' says they can 'live like no one else'.

W Buffett
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bored now.
  • haras_nosirrah
    haras_nosirrah Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    One other slight issue with your plan. Most lenders will not accept a gift from a non bloodline relative and those that do would not allow the giftor to move into the property.

She would have to use the money from elsewhere - your brother can't gift her the deposit
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 9 August 2018 at 9:00AM
    [long train commute today so here goes for a long post...]

The point is many of these posts (only a few have provided useful factual information to the question) are just irrelevant views of people and not helpful. Simply they had a question and best way is to offer a solution. So answers are they can do option A or option B or option C but can not do option D etc Simply outlining the solutions without any background views.

But you already have the basic options, outlined in your earlier paragraph which you called "1. ..." and "2. ..."

Option One is that they pool their resources and just buy a property together. Doing that:

- They won't get the chance to get an equity loan and only buy 80% of the property now and the other 20% later at the future market price - but they probably won't need one, because they have adequate funds to just buy the whole lot on a joint mortgage at whatever ownership split they prefer.

- There will be additional stamp duty to pay because of the involvement of your brother. But that stamp duty is not much in the grand scheme of things because you are talking about an asset that creates significant value for them over time - in saved rent payments for the roof over their heads, and in potential capital gains on an exit a number of years down the road. When you are buying the place, you can simply tell the vendor you don't like the colour of the bathroom, so you want to pay less. Or that you don't have as much money as you really do have, so you want to pay less. When later selling the place, you can simply reject a reasonable offer of 95% of the asking price, and demand at least 98%. Boom, 3%. Of course, you are still worse off than if you had done those skilful negotiations and not had the initial stamp duty. But it is not a big deal, paying a few percent stamp duty on a property purchase and sale which runs for a multi year period and creates value in the tens or hundreds of percent of the original purchase price depending on the time period and market conditions.

Option Two is, girlfriend buys a property for herself NOT jointly with boyfriend.

- Stamp duty is lower and she can use the HTB equity loan if she is feeling more financially stretched and wants a new build.

- And then if boyfriend wants to buy in at a later point he can buy a piece off her at market value (at the same time as the equity loan is cleared at that market value), paying his stamp and additional stamp (because of becoming a second property owner), together with the legal fees for the equity transfer and getting the mortgage company to agree to have him on the mortgage etc.

So you have your two main options. And it's been explained that it's impractical to lend her his money as part of her deposit and then live in the property while her mortgage company turns a blind eye. They won't like loaned deposits, and they won't like economic interests for an adult individual who's living there and isn't on the mortgage or the deeds. So the only way to 'help her out' is to gift her some money and have no claim to it.

The overall outcome of just gifting her some money and having her owe him some favour in return - while he has no actual claim to the house, because he will have documented for the mortgage lender that he has no financial interest because it was a gift - is that stamp duty is saved, HTB equity loan is accessible, and she doesn't have to commit as much of her own resources and can keep hold of her savings and investments etc rather than cashing them in. While that would be a very nice gesture by your brother, you have said yourself that 'Lets not forget this couple are not married and who knows if will marry or what future relationship holds'. So, a huge cash gift to help her buy the property with fewer resources of her own is something that could backfire spectacularly and probably shouldn't be considered.

If you try to document the brother's cash as being something properly recoverable, your options are very limited because of the mortgage lender not liking it. Theoretically he could inject the money as a loan shortly after she purchases it, taking a second charge on the house which ranks after the mortgage loan and allows her to pay down the mortgage to a level which is more acceptable to her. But charging the house (when it is not all her house anyway, because of the HTB equity loan shared ownership scheme) can be problematic and even if he had a charge which says he definitely gets paid on proceeds of sale, what happens when they split up in six months and she doesn't sell her property for thirty years and in the meantime he needs the money to buy a marital home with someone else?

And of course, a loan interest in a house is not what he really wants - the real value of the house over time is in equity ownership ,and ownership comes with stamp duty implications and HTB equity loan implications.

So what it comes down to is she can go it alone and get the tax regime and incentives applicable to someone making their first step onto a property ladder, and she can do that more affordably if he gifts her a load of money that he doesn't want to; OR they can buy like any 'normal' couple and pool their resources and get a joint mortgage for the property they'll jointly own and live in. If they do the joint purchaser thing, there won't be any incentives applicable to buying a first time property as one of the parties is well minted in property having already bought one and seen it go up in value to a multiple of what he paid.

There isn't a simple solution that allows him to be a joint purchaser of equity in the property while getting the various benefits of being a first time buyer who doesn't own any residential property, when he is in fact a person who does own residential property and is not a first time buyer. OR if there is a good solution, it will not be shared for free on a site with ten million viewers, because promoting loopholes is the way loopholes get closed.

If the couple who are looking to do the buying are interested in a better solution, they can do some research and pay for professional advice. If they ask the boyfriend's 'brother' to go online and ask around on forums rather than doing the legwork themselves or buying professional adice, what comes back to them will be cheaper than professional advice but they may get a suboptimal result.

- -

The problem you have with this thread is that effectively you have come to the forum, explained the situation, and said you are looking to find a way that the couple can structure a transaction to try to get the various benefits and incentives (or lack of disincentives) of:
    - being a first-time-buying couple (stamp duty discount) and

- being a non-property owning couple (access to HTB equity loan and avoidance of second-property stamp duty surcharge)

while actually they are quite well off and one of them is not a first time buyer and is currently an owner of property.

We *do* get that you want the technical answer to this and don't want to moralise about politics etc. However, I expect you understand as such incentives are funded by *the taxpayers*, which includes nearly all of the forum members here - none of us have a vested interest in helping you structure a transaction to get around the pesky restrictions that the government have decided to impose on the various incentives (or lack of disincentives a the case may be).

So, some people will not want to help and will stay away from the thread, while other people will want to actively participate in the thread to voice their indignation at being asked for suggestions on how to improve the couple's financial result (grabbing incentives for which, on the face of it, the couple do not qualify) at a greater cost to the taxpayer

You can spin it however you want, but you seem to have already concluded that you don't like the standard approach of girlfriend buying a property and getting incentives, because she has to commit more of her resources to it and the boyfriend doesn't get a look in ; and you don't like the other standard approach of them buying as a couple because there are no incentives and there is a positive disincentive (3% additional stamp duty). So it seems like what you want to get as your outcome, is incentives that as standard, you can't have.

No amount of grandstanding about commercial landlords with 15 properties will distract from the fact that you are talking about someone with property wealth wanting to get a government incentive designed to help people who are struggling to 'get on the property ladder'. You must realise that it is going to get people's backs up if you are saying it is not fair that the couple can't use government assistance to help them onto the property ladder, when you have confirmed that the girlfriend can afford to buy this two-person property with just her own salary, savings and investments ; and the boyfriend has owned a London property for so long that it has gone up in value massively together with the tenants paying off his mortgage so that the rental income is 4x the mortgage and it is so lucrative that he definitely won't sell it.

He could move in to it if he needs a roof over his head, so forgive us as taxpayers for not wanting to 'help him get onto the property ladder' and for not wanting to waive the second-property stamp duty premium.

You've tried to deflect the indignation on the thread by appealing to our xenophobia and saying that he is not some overseas investor, and you've tried to appeal to our common decency by mentioning that the couple are both hardworking - and presumably do not need to be ashamed of having savings and investments accumulated over time. But surprise surprise, most of us are not foreign investors either, nor do we have commercial property empires, and we do work damned hard for our own money, such that we don't want to give away our legal advice or tax money for free to 'help them out' in structuring a standard boyfriend-girlfriend property purchase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure