Is it legal/ fair ?

I thought it was illegal to ask disabled people for their "disability number"
I was on a queue at a box office and a person on crutches was asking for disability prices, the staff asked for the "number". The man showed his crutches and the staff said.."right ..that's a crutch, It doesn't prove anything, do you have your number?"
The disabled person said:" no...I have my bus pass" and he had to show it.
As far as my knowledge goes they are not supposed to ask for any of the sort.
I thought it cruel and totally out of order.
I'm actually thinking of writing a complaint to the management of the venue.
Any lights on the subject.
I'm epileptic but have never had an experience of the sort, quite the opposite...whenever I try to show my documentation I've been stopped and told not necessary.
If you have any extra ideas and legal advise about it I would love you to share them below.
Thanks in advance.
Thanks to those who help us to win !
<3

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If there is a concession for disabled then the supplier is entitled to ask for proof.

Somebody on a crutch could just have a broken ankle. It doesn't indicate that they fall within the criteria for a concession.
  • Disability number! She's living in the past or their policy is old. Disabled people haven't been registered and given a number for many years. It's generally accepted that DLA/PIP award is proof though. They're entitled to ask for proof.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If it's something like the CEA cinema card for people with disabilities to have a carer go in free, that needs to be shown in the same way as a concessionary bus pass. Why should you not have to demonstrate eligibility?

There are people who take the proverbial. That's why the criteria for the disabled front of queue wristband got tightened up at Alton Towers. Too many people who may have had a disability but were perfectly capable of queuing up with everyone else using it just to queue jump.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • marialionza
    marialionza Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    _shel wrote: »
    Disability number! She's living in the past or their policy is old. Disabled people haven't been registered and given a number for many years. It's generally accepted that DLA/PIP award is proof though. They're entitled to ask for proof.

Even when the gentleman was on crutches?
    <3
  • marialionza
    marialionza Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    elsien wrote: »
    If it's something like the CEA cinema card for people with disabilities to have a carer go in free, that needs to be shown in the same way as a concessionary bus pass. Why should you not have to demonstrate eligibility?

There are people who take the proverbial. That's why the criteria for the disabled front of queue wristband got tightened up at Alton Towers. Too many people who may have had a disability but were perfectly capable of queuing up with everyone else using it just to queue jump.

To be able to queue is not the point here
    <3
  • elsien
    At the risk of sounding cynical, anyone can borrow a crutch if they want a freebie.
    And needing a crutch for a couple of weeks if you've sprained something doesn't make you disabled.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• elsien
    To be able to queue is not the point here

No, the point is that some people try to get things to which they are not entitled. And venues who offer concessions are entitled to check that those getting the concession meet the criteria.

• I have a disability rail travel card - I had to provide confirmation of benefit to get this and it still cost me £20.
  • hdh74
    hdh74 Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I don't have a disability number but I keep a copy of my pip award on hard for any concessions. Often asked to show it and no I don't mind. What I do mind is not getting reduced parking at hospitals.
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think it is acceptable to ask a person for their credentials when they are asking for the relevant discount.

There shouldn't be any stigma attached to it, nor any offence taken.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure