Speedy boarding on Easy jet

2»

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    The only speedy boarding we got was that we boarded the coach to the plane first but when we arrived at the plane everyone on the coach both SP and not SB ran and we were nearly the last on the plane, resulting in no room for our hand luggage above our priority seat.

Given that not everyone will be on the first coach, you couldn't have been the last on the plane, you may be one of the last of the first coach, but there would have been other coaches behind yours.
    There must also be a limit on the number of speedy boarding passengers, I can't believe all the non SB passengers boarded before you.

As a particular tip on that route, TLV to LHR on BA would be £30-40 plus Avios if you collect. Cheaper than LHR to TLV which has a higher departure tax.

Also Easyjet offer flights to Tel Aviv from Gatwick; that may or may not experience the same issue depending if all stands are remote and if the proportion of SB is the same, but the flights are often cheaper than from Luton.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have a friend who pays for Speedy Boarding.

I travelled with her to and from Dalaman back in June.

SB get to check in early but as we arrived at Gatwick in plenty of time that didn't prove an advantage as there wasn't a queue. I checked in just as quickly. She was on the plane before me (just).

Returning from Dalaman, the biggest advantage was that she could bypass the huge queue for check in.

However, at the departure gate, Speedy Boarding didn't seem to exist so she had to queue up with everyone else which took an age.

She told me that the prices seem to have gone up considerably (I think that was for the seats in the front few rows and Speedy Boarding) so maybe she'll not bother next time.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The re-prioritisation of Easyjet boarding due to a shuffle of passengers on the bus happens at plenty of airports.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    I have a friend who pays for Speedy Boarding.

I travelled with her to and from Dalaman back in June.

SB get to check in early but as we arrived at Gatwick in plenty of time that didn't prove an advantage as there wasn't a queue. I checked in just as quickly. She was on the plane before me (just).

Returning from Dalaman, the biggest advantage was that she could bypass the huge queue for check in.

However, at the departure gate, Speedy Boarding didn't seem to exist so she had to queue up with everyone else which took an age.

She told me that the prices seem to have gone up considerably (I think that was for the seats in the front few rows and Speedy Boarding) so maybe she'll not bother next time.
    You say that SB got to check in first. Didn't you check in and get your boarding passes before travel? I have never bothered with SB and this is particularly after reading someone's else's experience similar to that of the OP here. My hand luggage is always limited to a small daysac which fits under the seat in front so I don't have the risk of no space in the overhead storage. I have another Easyjet flight pretty soon and I am doing it the same way.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    katejo wrote: »
    You say that SB got to check in first. Didn't you check in and get your boarding passes before travel? I have never bothered with SB and this is particularly after reading someone's else's experience similar to that of the OP here. My hand luggage is always limited to a small daysac which fits under the seat in front so I don't have the risk of no space in the overhead storage. I have another Easyjet flight pretty soon and I am doing it the same way.

Like you, I never bother. We generally book the seats in the first row behind the most expensive ones (Row 7?). I only have 'large' hand luggage when I'm going for a city break without hold luggage.

Of course, you're right that we do have our boarding cards at the ready for self check in. I think my friend has just done it as a habit from the days when SB went to a separate desk without a queue. These days this no longer applies at Gatwick but it does in other airports such as Dalaman. She always sits in the front few rows though so maybe SB is included like OP suggests.

Interestingly we flew back from Dalaman the day before the new terminal was due to open in July. I wonder whether they have self check in or SB at the new terminal?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    I'm curious - what is the advantage of speedy boarding?

You pay to be 1 of the first on the plane, I don't see much point myself and see it as a waste of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure