PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant Deposit Problem, Please help!

Options
jackpina
jackpina Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 10 August 2018 at 2:22PM in House buying, renting & selling
i've been asked to replace this Electrical hob for the landlord as he say i damaged his hob.
whirlpool schott ceran electrical hob
i64.tinypic.com/2jcyl1e.jpg
i66.tinypic.com/2el5q0x.jpg
The 2 scratched photos of the same ring that is damaged, the 3 others have no scratch. Unfortunately, i dont have a photo before so lets assume it had no scratch on it.
Is this normal wear and tear (then i will send it for dispute) or was it my fault that i damaged it?

The hob is installed in 2008 and i started rented it in fall 2016 for two years.
I cook most of my meals so 2-3 meals a day. I believe the scratches are from moving the pan while cooking which is normal?

Other than dispute, The landlord has asked me to either repair or replace the hob. Repairing it cost 114 pounds. He has also sent me a new hob that i can replace it with that cost 250 pounds not including labour. What should i do?

Appreciated!

Should I 12 votes

Dispute
66% 8 votes
Repair/Replace
33% 4 votes

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can't open pics on my computer, but I really can't see how he can expect a 10 year old hob to be worth anything.

Are you actually moving out, or is this mid-tenancy?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just dispute it, there's no way it'll cost you more, so it's win / break even
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    American :spam:
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 4:26PM
    Options
    Although I cant see the photos,I would be airing along the lines of a dispute of the amount.

The hob could well be 10 years old and also have another 10 years life in it,but what you describe would suggest scratching which whilst may not be wholly classed as wear and tear,its certainly something that can happen over many years and is just deterioration.

its almost impossible to keep anything in "as new " condition for many years if its regularly used,its a fact that a few LL's have yet to grasp

In the grand scheme of things yes you probably should pay something but to suggest that you need to replace the whole thing new is taking it too far IMO.

Look at it this way,the LL has a functioning hob so will be able to re let the property to another tenant.

On the inventory they will no doubt list it as condition fair with some surface scratching.

The next tenant will no doubt accept that so no need at all for you to be buying a new one!

Even if you volunteer the money for the repair there is no guarantee that's what it would be used for,(no obligation to repair) which is why I would dispute in order to get a fair adjudication on what is acceptable to pay.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's wear & tear, and if the hob is functional it's what might be expected from 10 years use or on taking up a tenancy with a 10 year old appliance.

Don't know why someone else thinks this is spam. I'm sure they have a reason, but as they omitted to explain it, I'd ignore them.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »

Don't know why someone else thinks this is spam. I'm sure they have a reason, but as they omitted to explain it, I'd ignore them.

I imagine a spam post was reported and deleted.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I imagine a spam post was reported and deleted.
    Odd coincidence though that the OP mentions 'fall,' when we say 'autumn' on this side of the pond. That's what I took the 'American' reference to mean.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Devil's advocate:

I installed a ceramic hob with my new kitchen around 12 years ago. It's been used 2-3 times daily. It is in 'as new' condition.No scratches, no cracks, fully functional. I see no reason why it should not last another 10, 15 years or more (though of course Sods law says it will beak down tomorrow now).

If treated with care and respect, there's no reason a hob should have damage, scratches etc.

Having said that I'm mostly the only person to use it, I'm an owner-occupier (it's my hob!), and I'm a careful person.

In a family with kids, or a tenanted property with multiple tenants coming/going all using the hob, I can see that its life expectancy, and condition, would likely not be the same!
  • jackpina
    jackpina Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 11 August 2018 at 7:07AM
    Options
    Try copy and paste the url to the browser, I’m a newbie so I can’t post links
    It’s the end of tenancy and the hob is 100% functional.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jackpina wrote: »
    Try copy and paste the url to the browser, I’m a newbie so I can’t post links
    It’s the end of tenancy and the hob is 100% functional.
    are you in the USA? Please clarify

the advice given on here will be in the context of UK laws and dispute resolution processes. I have no idea how the USA do disputes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure