Network cables sleeve markings - new build

Do all networking cables have markings on them to certify what they are?

I am buying a new build and they have installed the following (written on sleeve):
LanCOMCable Network Cable CCA ISO9001, FLUKE CHANNEL TESTED, RoHS, REACH, CE, 29/10/2017 170 metres

Other plots have the Cat 5e markings on the network cable sleeve but my plot doesn't.

I am unsure whether this is Cat 5e as there is no markings to state this and I know Cat 5 term is obsolete, with the date of 2017 I am assuming its 5e. They are 4 pairs but I am advising the new build customer services that I don't think they are Cat 5 as they do not have the markings to state this, and unsure what the electrician has installed.

Comments

• thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You should be concerned that it is CCA Copper Clad Aluminium.

Not sure if you would notice the difference at home but it is cheap stuff.

https://twistedpairtech.co.uk/caution-using-cooper-clad-aluminium-cat5-cable/
  • darkcloudi
    darkcloudi Posts: 567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    thorganby wrote: »
    You should be concerned that it is CCA Copper Clad Aluminium.

Not sure if you would notice the difference at home but it is cheap stuff.

https://twistedpairtech.co.uk/caution-using-cooper-clad-aluminium-cat5-cable/

Yes I understand its cheap, not sure why Taylor Wimpey install this stuff but appears most of the plots get fitted with this crap.

Quite worried that the markings are not there on the sleeve that state if its Cat 5. To me they can be anything.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is there a way to get the cable tested or know anyone who knows someone who could do it.
    Just a thought.
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    darkcloudi wrote: »
    Yes I understand its cheap, not sure why Taylor Wimpey install this stuff but appears most of the plots get fitted with this crap.

Quite worried that the markings are not there on the sleeve that state if its Cat 5. To me they can be anything.

If you are paying for Cat5e then you are not getting it!
    The problem is networks installed with this cable will never comply with the Cat5e standards. The standard clearly states “the conductor shall be annealed solid copper and comply with the requirements of EN 50288-1:2003, 4.1. The conductor shall be plain or metal coated. NOTE Copper covered (clad) aluminium and/or steel conductors are not permitted.”
  • darkcloudi
    thorganby wrote: »
    If you are paying for Cat5e then you are not getting it!

I told them install Cat 5 (which I was hoping the installer would know its 5e) since you cannot find the older Cat 5 cable. The cable is dated 2017 so assuming its 5e but has no markings to state this.
  • darkcloudi
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Is there a way to get the cable tested or know anyone who knows someone who could do it.
    Just a thought.

Can't test them until I move in :( Was hoping to find out now so they can remove and install the proper stuff
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Does CCA meet even CAT5 standards? If not then you can legitimately approach them now to replace the cable.

The link below has a table that compares the technical specifications of CAT5 etc. but doesn't mention anything about construction

http://www.cablek.com/technical-reference/cat-5---5e--6--6a---7--standards
  • darkcloudi
    DoaM wrote: »
    Does CCA meet even CAT5 standards? If not then you can legitimately approach them now to replace the cable.

I think CCA can be used but there is a lot of information out there that states its no good. When copper was expensive CCA was being used as Cat 5 cabling. I think as far as standards are concerned it may not fit into this criteria, but difficult to say as I have noticed places like Amazon you can get Cat 5 CCA cabling.

I asked Taylor Wimpey for Cat 5 but at present since there is no markings on the cable I have asked them to tell me exactly what they have installed.

Current response from the electrician is its Cat 5 as thats what they asked from there wholesaler, and thats whats installed. But when I looked at other plots they have the Cat 5e markings on the cabling sleeve and mine apparently doesn't. So to me it can be anything.

I have emailed them to say the cable is not Cat 5 and does not satisfy EN 50288-1:2003
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    As long as it manages to reach the speeds CAT5 should does it really matter? Quite clearly you aren't bothered about the speed otherwise you'd have specced CAT 7.
  • darkcloudi
    Tarambor wrote: »
    As long as it manages to reach the speeds CAT5 should does it really matter? Quite clearly you aren't bothered about the speed otherwise you'd have specced CAT 7.

I had to install Cat 5 as Taylor Wimpey said thats all there installed (so was limited to what they would install for me). I would have loved to have installed Cat 7, if that was an option. Not to fussed about speed as think 1Gbps is fine for the time being.

My worry is whether the cable installed is Cat 5 as it doesn't have the markings on the sleeve. So was querying whether all network cables should have markings to identify it.

I know from experience in me buying Cat 5e cables they have always had markings on them to state what they are, hence the question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure