Planning permission - Effective objection

2»

Comments

• They are actually attaching some stairs to a fire escape which a previous owner built the walkway too but no stairs! Realistically it doesn't look like they will increase the height of it any but it does already block light ... no fire escape would mean no office.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    They are actually attaching some stairs to a fire escape which a previous owner built the walkway too but no stairs! Realistically it doesn't look like they will increase the height of it any but it does already block light ... no fire escape would mean no office.

It's a 45 degree angle, by the way. Within a certain distance, which varies with local authorities. My local one would be 21 metres for two storeys.

If what they are adding falls within that then you may well be onto something. It's already affecting amenity, no one should be making it worse. It's certainly worth putting down and placing some focus on it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Hi Doozer its 45 degree when the buildings are side by side such as building a conservatory in your back yard and it overhanging the property in front.

Its 25 degree when the properties look at one another which ours end up doing as it wraps around

25-degree-test-bad.jpg?resize=1024%2C488&ssl=1

Window to fire escape is around 12 meters apart so trying to get 25 degrees on that would be very tough with a two story building.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ah, okay. I was picturing it the other way. :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do a little bit of thinking outside the box!

There are plenty of offices where there are far, far fewer parking spaces than employees, I've worked in a few myself! Also some councils now restrict the number of parking spaces for new office developments, trying to persuade office workers to walk, cycle or use public transport or be forced to use expensive council run car parks.

If pp is refused and it is uneconomic or pointless to drastically reduce the number of desks, what will happen to the building? Many redundant commercial buildings are often either demolished and replaced by high density apartments or if suitable converted into equally high density apartments. You are not going to get a new user where there are only 4 people.

this post has been repeated on your other thread
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Hi Lin although that is true regarding offices vs parking spaces very few are in a residential area surrounded by houses, most have good transport links out to for example a business park.

If planning permission is refused then shop may go back to being a shop? It has been for 40 years prior to now and likely will continue to be after the planning permission. Worry about the alternative in order not to object is borrowing worries from tomorrow to keep yourself busy today.

Regarding not getting a new user where it is only 4 people again thats speculating, what if the same style of business moved back in to the shop? Its changed hands 3 times in that 40 yr period, from a garden center, to a carpet store and a kitchen showroom. None of them had more than 5 staff.
  • lincroft1710
    If planning permission is refused then shop may go back to being a shop? It has been for 40 years prior to now and likely will continue to be after the planning permission. Worry about the alternative in order not to object is borrowing worries from tomorrow to keep yourself busy today.

Regarding not getting a new user where it is only 4 people again thats speculating, what if the same style of business moved back in to the shop? Its changed hands 3 times in that 40 yr period, from a garden center, to a carpet store and a kitchen showroom. None of them had more than 5 staff.

What is the likelihood of the premises being used again as retail, bearing in mind pp is being sought for a non retail use? Why are there no retail takers?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • The previous tenant left on for example the Friday (a retail tenant) within two weeks there planning permission was in for an office. It wasn't like it had time to be marketed for retail use I would suggest.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Exactly what lincroft is describing has happened and continues to happen all over my old town of Aylesbury. Small and medium-sized retail and business premises have been turned into blocks of flats and where perhaps a handful of cars and the odd commercial vehicle parked, came and went, there are now dozens of cars double parked on streets, pavements and verges. Those not able to park outside their new homes have simply clogged up the neighbouring roads.

I can see TomTom's point about borrowing worries from tomorrow but maybe this is a tactic by the owner to establish the non-viability of the land for commercial purposes and to progress to its most lucrative use, which will almost certainly be residential. You're caught between objecting on reasonable grounds to what is currently being proposed but at the same time you may be unwittingly be supporting the intended use of the site in the longer term. As you say, you can only deal with the here and now but I wouldn't be surprised if this plays out differently.
  • lincroft1710
    Exactly what lincroft is describing has happened and continues to happen all over my old town of Aylesbury. Small and medium-sized retail and business premises have been turned into blocks of flats and where perhaps a handful of cars and the odd commercial vehicle parked, came and went, there are now dozens of cars double parked on streets, pavements and verges. Those not able to park outside their new homes have simply clogged up the neighbouring roads.

I can see TomTom's point about borrowing worries from tomorrow but maybe this is a tactic by the owner to establish the non-viability of the land for commercial purposes and to progress to its most lucrative use, which will almost certainly be residential. You're caught between objecting on reasonable grounds to what is currently being proposed but at the same time you may be unwittingly be supporting the intended use of the site in the longer term. As you say, you can only deal with the here and now but I wouldn't be surprised if this plays out differently.

Where I currently live, more than 10 office blocks close to and in the town centre have been converted to apartments, and new apartments built on the car parking with some of the larger blocks. Many commercial premises in primarily residential areas have been demolished and replaced with high density housing.

My original hometown has seen out of town public houses demolished and replaced with housing, one small development had no on site parking. Many out of town commercial premises also demolished and replaced with high density housing, often with no gardens. There is an outstanding planning application to demolish an empty factory on a small industrial estate and replace with apartments and high density housing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure