Oreo on S8+

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    custardy wrote: »
    buy sim free and you dont have to wait on the networks.
    Samsung has Oreo as they are happy with it. Its the networks adding their tweaks and testing.

But not everyone can afford to go buy a phone outright.

If as you say Samsung is happy with Oreo then the operating system should work on any network that they supply the phone too and no so called testing should be required.

As for "tweaks" what does that mean bloatware from the networks?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    john22 wrote: »
    But not everyone can afford to go buy a phone outright.

If as you say Samsung is happy with Oreo then the operating system should work on any network that they supply the phone too and no so called testing should be required.

As for "tweaks" what does that mean bloatware from the networks?

You dont need to buy a handset to get a sim free handset.
    Take your contract through the right resellers and you get a sim free handset.

Networks add their own software/overlays or bloat as you say.
    These need to be tested.
    I own a sim free Note 8 on the EE network. It doesnt matter when EE release an update as my updates come from Samsung.
    My handset still works with the EE network.
  • System
    You dont need to buy a handset to get a sim free handset.
    Take your contract through the right resellers and you get a sim free handset.

Networks add their own software/overlays or bloat as you say.
    These need to be tested.
    I own a sim free Note 8 on the EE network. It doesnt matter when EE release an update as my updates come from Samsung.
    My handset still works with the EE network.

Very strange that Google and a big player like Samsung are still beholden to networks. I thought by now they would have been able to get networks to stop restricting customers from getting the latest OS.
  • custardy
    john22 wrote: »
    Very strange that Google and a big player like Samsung are still beholden to networks. I thought by now they would have been able to get networks to stop restricting customers from getting the latest OS.

I doubt it bothers them either way.
  • System
    I doubt it bothers them either way.

Oh I know that.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Samsung did pull the update at one stage due to rebooting issues .Not sure of the time lines though as their are that many S8+ model numbers .
    Sammobile shows most UK are on 8.0 so could well be a problem with the actual phone .
    Or as OP is never going to buy samsung again they have said ???? you .
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    But why can't Samsung work with the networks and make sure that if customers want the latest OS they can get it?

Stop blaming Samsung. They literally hand over the code, and the network can simply redistribute it if they like. They (or my network, EE at least) choose to alter it and test it. EE at least does add VOLTE but the delay is entirely down to the network and not Samsung. See also other manufacturers. I would consider changing network.
  • System
    almillar wrote: »
    Stop blaming Samsung. They literally hand over the code, and the network can simply redistribute it if they like. They (or my network, EE at least) choose to alter it and test it. EE at least does add VOLTE but the delay is entirely down to the network and not Samsung. See also other manufacturers. I would consider changing network.

I can blame Samsung if I want :rotfl:
  • custardy
    almillar wrote: »

You mean they leave it in. My note 8 has it on EE with OEM firmware
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You mean they leave it in. My note 8 has it on EE with OEM firmware

Hmm, yes, me too, now, on my S8 on EE - I'm probably thinking of my S7, and their excuses (testing/adding/adapting). They were the only network with it for a while
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure