Insurance not paying out

My husband had £2.4K worth of De Walt tools stolen from a locked shed in the garden 3 weeks ago.

He put in a claim on the home insurance which covers outbuildings - but the insurance are saying they won't pay out because all the invoices for the tools are in my husband's business name.

What can we do?

(Since then we've had CCTV & Nest installed as well as the most secure locks possible on the shed) Thanks.

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Domestic insurance usually excludes business assets, what does the policy say.
    When I had business tools they were excluded and I needed specific business insurance to cover them.
    Were they actually business tools or domestic tools that he'd put through his business books?
    I cannot see a way of getting out of either uncovered business tools or potential tax fraud for putting non business items through the books. Double check your policy but I would be surprised if they were covered by your home insurance.
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to hear that but your normal household insurance will usually only cover personal items.

Anything that belonged to a business you needed to have a separate insurance policy for.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    He put in a claim on the home insurance which covers outbuildings - but the insurance are saying they won't pay out because all the invoices for the tools are in my husband's business name.

Household insurance normally only covers household items. Not commercial items. Not unless you have an insurer like NFU or a homeworker policy.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    monsoon67 wrote: »
    My husband had £2.4K worth of De Walt tools stolen from a locked shed in the garden 3 weeks ago.

What can we do?

(Since then we've had CCTV & Nest installed as well as the most secure locks possible on the shed) Thanks.
    I would have thought the simplest solution would be to claim on his business insurance, this is what it is for.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Is his business a ltd company or is he a sole trader? Not sure if that would make a difference or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure