UK bank with no overdraft scam?

Comments

• eurgbp
    eurgbp Posts: 14 Forumite
    Highland76 wrote: »
    Don't you trust yourself? :rotfl:

I see you got properly brianwashed to accept shark loans forcefully and without consent
    quite rly:money:
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    eurgbp wrote: »
    I see you got properly brianwashed to accept shark loans forcefully and without consent

The irony is that going into an unarranged overdraft is often YOU making the bank to lend you money, rather than the other way around.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    In answer to your question you could try Starling bank. You have an 'overdraft slider' that you can set between zero and the max you are allowed, so set yours to zero.

This is from their website:

"at Starling, we pre-approve you for an overdraft when you open an account, after completing certain checks. If you accept it, you can then control your limit by scrolling it to a level that suits you and helps you stay in budget. But we also make a point of helping you stay within your chosen limit, away from unauthorised overdrafts. Simply: we don’t authorise payments that take you over your limit. You set your limit and we respect that. However, if mistakes happen and you do dip into the red, you’re not going to be hit with a penalty. We also won’t charge you for any payments that don’t go through. It doesn’t cost us, so why would it cost you?"
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sal_III wrote: »
    OP wants to do exactly that - bounce any transactions if there is insufficient balance.

Arranged overdraft is OK, un-arranged overdraft is a bit scammy, especially for people coming from other countries where there is no such facility active automatically and they expect that when you run out of cash and someone tries to withdraw money the transaction will just bounce.

Utility companies are not going to cut your supply because your bill was paid 3 days late, on the other hand banks will saddle you with massive charges for going into un-arranged overdraft for 3 days.

Yes but if the OP has a bill to pay and insufficient funds to pay it, the payment will get bounced. 'no overdraft' but they will still have to pay the fees for the bounced payment so its a win-lose situation. Best way to run your current account is never to get close to zero funds, then you never fall foul of the 'scammy' overdraft fees....
  • eurgbp
    18cc wrote: »
    In answer to your question you could try Starling bank. You have an 'overdraft slider' that you can set between zero and the max you are allowed, so set yours to zero.

This is from their website:

"at Starling, we pre-approve you for an overdraft when you open an account, after completing certain checks. If you accept it, you can then control your limit by scrolling it to a level that suits you and helps you stay in budget. But we also make a point of helping you stay within your chosen limit, away from unauthorised overdrafts. Simply: we don’t authorise payments that take you over your limit. You set your limit and we respect that. However, if mistakes happen and you do dip into the red, you’re not going to be hit with a penalty. We also won’t charge you for any payments that don’t go through. It doesn’t cost us, so why would it cost you?"

Thank you
    This is what I have been looking for over 10 years in uk

Finally there is one decent UK bank
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    As per my post above, Starling just bounce the payments and don't charge a fee for doing so.
  • BrownTrout
    BrownTrout Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    eurgbp wrote: »
    Are there any banks in UK without overdraft scam?
    All I want is if balance is zero then transaction is declined by bank. End of story.
    These overdraft loans are quite scammy and sick

Why do people talk like this?
  • BrownTrout wrote: »
    Why do people talk like this?

Not native I’m guessing but still wanting everything native handed on a plate.
  • 18cc wrote: »
    As per my post above, Starling just bounce the payments and don't charge a fee for doing so.

But it’s likely the person/business requesting the monies will apply their own charges for the payment being declined/missed/late/etc.
  • eurgbp
    Really? If I want a loan I ll use my credit card
    Current account should never be below 0 quid in civilized countries eg eu
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts