Scottish Mortgage Trust - Bright Future?

12346»

Comments

• iglad
    iglad Posts: 222 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I've been with SMT since April and I'm more than happy with the performance which has really picked up over the last month or so. I'm not sure if it's the Woodford effect but as long as that share price keeps rising I'm happy. The unlisted companies does not bother me in the slightest as it's only about 20% but I think they have raised the limit to 25%.

Some of the reactions on here towards investing makes me wonder if they should have their money in the building society instead.
  • iglad
    edited 16 July 2019 at 11:06PM
    The gains I've had with LTG & FS since selling my Fidelity China (invested in LTG & FS) have just helped to cancel out my losses with that fund. So yes It was a smart move but I can't take all the credit as it was poster in another forum who said "you could be staring at those losses for quite some time, so sell and invest elsewhere within your portfolio".

That "hold until it picks up" is what got a lot of Woodford investors stuck in fund they can't get out of.
  • Alz1986
    Alz1986 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Since I opened up this thread nearly 2 months ago, the share price has surged to reach its all time high. I'm glad I held on.

Having scrutinised it some more - the upside potential of holdings like Amazon, Alibaba and Tencent (20% combined) is far greater than the downside risk posed by Tesla at 3.7%

Also, making comparisons to Woodford is a bit far fetched, who ran a fund with large unlisted holdings (SMT is a Trust). He also looks more like a betting shop manager than a respectable fund manager.

Since I posted this thread, I have been predicting a surge in the value but surprised it arrived faster than anticipated. Im projecting the value to keep on increasing after having a tough year.

I still believe the managers at SMT and Baillie Gifford are far more effective and competant than many out there.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Alz1986 wrote: »
    Since I opened up this thread nearly 2 months ago, the share price has surged to reach its all time high. I'm glad I held on.
    Since I posted this thread, I have been predicting a surge in the value but surprised it arrived faster than anticipated. Im projecting the value to keep on increasing after having a tough year.

I still believe the managers at SMT and Baillie Gifford are far more effective and competant than many out there.

Within the portfolio Amazon has a lower share price now than a couple of days after your post; fortunately other stuff has gone up instead. But really about half the 'surge' has equally been available from pretty much any other fund with high overseas exposure.

US$100 was worth £78.50 when you posted, but now it's worth £82.50, which means that every dollar of portfolio value has gone up 5% when valued in sterling. For HKD invested in Tencent, HKD100 was £10.01 but is £10.56 today, giving you another 5.5% for free. So really although the portfolio is back at its all time high of around 568p where it was last September, the portfolio is worth fewer dollars than it was then; it's just that at this moment in time, dollars buy a lot of pounds.

You are right that BG are a decent funds group and their approach can generally do very well in rising markets. But concentrated portfolios can be painful when markets (including exchange rates) reverse.
  • iglad
    badger09 wrote: »
    Another is to stop staring at it;)
    lol I wish but as my platform shows my losses and my gains, anyway looking at it wishing it will go up didn't work my Fidelity China fund selling and investing it into better performing funds (LTG & FS) did. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure