Fridge Freezer not freezing porperly.

Options
I have got a 4 year old hoover fridge freezer which is not freezing very well. It has got 4 freezing compartments and we have found that a couple of them appear to be warmer than they should be even when the thermostat is set to maximum. Is this something that is worth getting fixed? If so who do you call to have a look at it? Unlike gas appliances, it is not obvious who can repair electric white goods.

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get a freezer thermometer to confirm. Thoroughly defrost and clean out all sections. Don't overfill the fridge section, air circulation is needed there. But freezer sections benefit from being kept full.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We bought a 2nd hand Prestige fridge/freezer for our holiday rental apartment in N Wales.
    In mid August the freezer stopped freezing - long story short the local Mr Fixit discovered that these ones need regular defrosting to work properly, which is not something really possible/practical in a holiday rental!
    Maybe yours is the same??
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    thor wrote: »
    If so who do you call to have a look at it? Unlike gas appliances, it is not obvious who can repair electric white goods.
    Domestic appliance repair man, usually plenty in the local paper or on a local website.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Make sure the air vents are clear(inside freezer) the warmer shelves may be covered, uprights can be overfilled.

Some single compresser FF have a diverter flap that sticks but that would tend to effect all drawers.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    We bought a 2nd hand Prestige fridge/freezer for our holiday rental apartment in N Wales.
    In mid August the freezer stopped freezing - long story short the local Mr Fixit discovered that these ones need regular defrosting to work properly, which is not something really possible/practical in a holiday rental!
    Maybe yours is the same??
    The freezer does not really need defrosting as there is hardly any ice. When it was working properly there used to be quite a bit of ice but as the freezer has got warmer the ice has stopped forming.
  • thor
    Options
    Make sure the air vents are clear(inside freezer) the warmer shelves may be covered, uprights can be overfilled.

Some single compresser FF have a diverter flap that sticks but that would tend to effect all drawers.
    The freezer is not any more fuller than when it used to work properly but I'll have a look to find the air vents.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Whick model is it
  • thor
    Options
    Hoover HVBF5182BK
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you tried thoring it out
    (Sorry, couldn't resist that :) )
  • thor
    Options
    Update:
    I took the plunge and bought a freezer thermometer and have discovered that the fridge section was between 1 and 3 degrees while the freezer varied from -3 to -7 degrees. The freezer being so warm finally spurred me to action and I emptied out the freezer and took the back panel off to discover that there was a hell of a lot of ice hiding there.
    It took nearly 50 minutes to melt it with a hairdryer then after wiping the interior down with a cloth I proceeded to put the back panel in. Unfortunately I only managed to get in 3 of the 6 screws but it was holding firm so I left it at that.

After switching the unit back on I immediately could tell that the freezer was getting down to a much lower temperature but now 6 hours on the fridge has still not cooled at all, being at room temperature.
    I know that cold air is blown from the freezer to the fridge so could my actions have caused this to fail? The fan which was attached to the back panel is still spinning so I can't see why the cold air circulation could have stopped. Does it take longer for the fridge to cool?
    Any ideas what I could have done to mess up the fridge?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure