PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Just updated my total with yesterday's spends, less than £13 to last us 9 days but I know we can do it as we have everything in for this week, will just need to buy some more Milk later this week and then F&V so fingers crossed.:o

We're a day behind on our Meal planner, we had friends over at the weekend and there was so much food left on Sunday that I didn't do a Roast, we ate all the leftovers (they taste a lot nicer the next day;) ) then we had our Sunday Roast last night so tonight's Dinner will be Curry with Beef from the Roast.:cool:

Had a day in the Garden/Greenhouse yesterday as had some more seeds to plant up, got a few things coming through from seeds I planted in February so plenty of money saving coming up on the Salad/Veg front in the coming months.:D

Planning a day in the Kitchen today as we are running low on Lunchbox supplies and cakes & biscuits. Planning to make some Sausage rolls, Flapjacks, muffins and Hobnobs.

Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• I havn't been shopping since 2nd March lots of NSD days.

I have bought bread and milk does this count if so approx £10.

I am using up all the thing that no one likes so lots of complaints.

What else can I use mince for I have tried,
    Cottage pie
    Lasagne every one has now gone off this
    Spagetti " " " " "

However have tried mince in fajitas.OK

Pasties No one likes these!
    Chilli "" " " "

Maybe its better to buy chicken and make into lots of dishes.Any ideas mince/chicken
    or others .
    SPC £500 well will try very hard.

GC £6.16/£150
  • reb
    reb Posts: 315 Forumite

Started sprouting some more beans for salads-the last lot really were good. Im sprouting chick peas aduki beans and mung beans. Is there anything else suitable for sprouting?

Green lentils are quite nice. I just buy dried from the supermarket. I try anything really. But I do like these. :D
    I don't get to come on here too often.
    Too buzy money saving!
    :D
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    moonflower wrote: »

Cottage pie
    Spagetti " " " " "

Chilli "" " " "

Maybe its better to buy chicken and make into lots of dishes.Any ideas mince/chicken
    or others .

Moonflower, how about meat loaf, meat balls or burgers? recipes for all of these are in the recipe list on the front page of this thread

Might also be worth looking at the Complete Cooking Collection - post #6 'Meat' - there are several mince threads there ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • just looked at our food spends for this month, already £275 out of a budget of £340. I let OH loose in Morrisons this week, and he spent £95. But we do have a lot of food.... Both freezers, all the cupboards and the garage are full!Not sure we can last on £65 for the rest of the month. As im off sick i might try some home baking.
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 £346 /400
  • reb
    reb Posts: 315 Forumite
    :mad:I am trying to be really careful so I stay in budget this month. I can't quite believe how much I have spent already this month. Then I had a look at my receipts and realise how much food I have in. So today I start a purge on 'using stuff up.' :A

:huh: Have updated signature. It's not looking good :huh:

We have a lot of jam and chutney in the cupboard, all home made....tis crazy, when you have none they all want it, but when you have it to hand consumption slows.
    Aaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh! Oh well, that's the way it goes I guess.

I don't get to come on here too often.
    Too buzy money saving!
    :D
  • moonflower wrote: »
    I havn't been shopping since 2nd March lots of NSD days.

I have bought bread and milk does this count if so approx £10.

I am using up all the thing that no one likes so lots of complaints.

Cottage pie
    Spagetti " " " " "

Chilli "" " " "

or others .
    Yes-you need to count in your bread and milk. These are the important little spends which we often overlook and where the money just disappears!
    I made burgers with my mince last night.
    I also make meatballs
    minced beef cobbler
    chicken fajitas
    chicken curry
    chicken lasagne
    s/sour chicken
    As Rosieben says there are lots of ideas-follow her link.
    I always keep a good supply of mince,chicken and white fish/tinned tuna for a variety of dishes.

Reb-thanks-I do have a pack of green lentils. I will try those too on the next batch!
    Your jams and chutneys will keep a long time though! No hurry to use them up.

Mothershipton-sounds like you could last the month if you mealplan! With all that food stored do you really need more then bread/milk, f & veg till the end of the month?
    Mealplanning is the key! Its ok stocking up-but no point unless you use it is what DH says to me when he wants to have a moan-but basically [STRIKE]he's right[/STRIKE] got a point.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • £6 only spent last week, cant believe how well I am doing. Going to do a shop on only basic range on payday and see if I can make enough meals to last the month.
    MAY NSD's

• russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone.I'm having a good day today I got £25 co-op gift vouchers.I entered a comp for their online store i think for dvds and won £25 to spend online. They've decided to close the online store so sent me the gift vouchers to spend instore instead.Now I could see what the offers are just now or wait till nearer closing and see what is on offer,hmmmmm.Later gets my vote.Have a good day y'all.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    moonflower wrote: »
    Cottage pie
    Spagetti " " " " "

Chilli "" " " "

or others .
    As far as chicken goes I saw a lovely recipe the other day for Spainsh Style chicken. They used chicken, various coloured peppers, onions, a couple of tins of tomatoes, garlic & herbs and gently stewed it all together. It looked yummy. I'd serve it with new potatoes although I bet it's nice on rice with a few olives scattered on top - providing your lot will eat them - mine won't :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure