Getting incorrect defaults removed (Lowell related)

dekaspace
dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 15 May 2018 at 5:27PM in Credit file & ratings
EDITED

Ok contacted Lowell who say they will remove 1 of the accounts as its been over 5 years or should I say they say they will attempt to.

Credit card one which shows as "account in query" they say I have to wait until they hear back from credit card supplier despite it being over a year since I disputed it and 6 year and a half since the fraud occured.

Not sure about dispute 3 which is Vodafone, it shows account opened June 2013 but one payment made in July which as stated before I believe was when I recognised multiple unidentified direct debits and cancelled them but one or two I think from memory slipped through and bank refused to refund before I cancelled.

That being said if it was July 1 payment was made shall I wait until August to dispute it as Im worried if I do it sooner they may start court proceedings.

Spoke to debt charities who told me the debt can't be chased after 5 years but the default sticks on file for 6, thats the bad thing as they didn't record a default to 2014

Comments

• dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Bumped due to edit.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 May 2018 at 5:46PM
    I don't understand your post.

Accounts will show on your files for 6 years after default or account closure.

Whether you seek to settle them or not before they go for CCJs is up to you.

If they're incorrect, then dispute them with each CRA where they appear.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't understand your post.

Accounts will show on your files for 6 years after default or account closure.

Whether you seek to settle them or not before they go for CCJs is up to you.

If they're incorrect, then dispute them with each CRA where they appear.

Shorter point, they were disputed because they were identity fraud, one was by someone who didn't even spell my name right, and gave wrong date of birth, that however was opened in Jan 2012 meaning over 6 years, what confused me though was it defaulted in October 2012

As it was a Scottish debt I thought it would be off my file in 2017, the debt collector has confirmed the account has been closed and claim they will wipe it from credit file im just worried that since the default wasn't until October 2012, someone will assume English law and try and take it to court.

The other part was more complicated, a mobile phone was gotten in my name and due to shared postage box intercepted before it got to me, I had some unrecognised direct debits come off my account at that time which I cancelled but have a vague memory of bank refusing to refund one as I didn't realise till a few weeks after payment had come off (due to only getting quarterly statements and being in a depressive place at time) one was for EE I remember, this one was Vodafone, the company claimed to me when I spoke that since 1 payment went through it was a valid account and not fraud so I was liable, either way since it had a last payment made in August 2013 it should be unchasable after August 2018 so didn't know to risk chasing it up if they decide to take it to court.

That does however make me think of something else, the phone was through Phones4U which is now no longer existing, can Vodafone legally chase a debt for it? (or can only the creditors?)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    dekaspace wrote: »

That does however make me think of something else, the phone was through Phones4U which is now no longer existing, can Vodafone legally chase a debt for it? (or can only the creditors?)

If Vodafone own the debt, then they ARE the creditors.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    If Vodafone own the debt, then they ARE the creditors.

To bring this back up, the credit card dispute has been over 5 years since last payment was made, not 5 years since the default, as stated before the debt collector has put the case on hold for a year now and stating they cannot do anything until the credit card company gets back to them I don't know if this is there way of stalling for time or claiming it means I agreed to debt.

The way it came across when I spoke to them was that they cant't do anything with my account until they hear back such as close the debt or dispute it this sounds incorrect but either way at the point they put forward the "query" to the card issuer 5 years had already passed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure