£150 to supply &fit filling loop

Just thought I would run this by you lot.
Older Vaillant combi boiler and the filling loop needa replacing. I have been quoted £150 to supply and fit.
No expert of course but does this sound a tad expensive.?..or maybe about right?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
:j

Comments

• It all depends on where you live, whether it's an internal/external filling link etc. etc.

Without seeing the job, I couldn't really give a comparison.
    I'd ask if they'll Service the boiler aswell for the £150.

Try contacting a couple of other local Gas Engineers and ask them?
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Currently £90,000+/- over 18 years!
    Best MoneySaving Moments of this year?
    - I saved £150 by repairing my MacBook myself using online guides!
    - I went back to Uni, so I've purchased a TOTUM (NUS) Card
    - I saved 6 months of Amazon Prime by signing up to Amazon Prime Student
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    ferry wrote: »
    Just thought I would run this by you lot.
    Older Vaillant combi boiler and the filling loop needa replacing. I have been quoted £150 to supply and fit.
    No expert of course but does this sound a tad expensive.?..or maybe about right?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

What part or parts need replacing?

The filling loop on our boiler is just a flexible hose between two valves.

If all that is required is a new flexible hose then that is either an easy DIY job or I would have thought rather less than than £150 for a suitably qualified tradesman.
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well a basic 'standard' filling loop is £9 from Screwfix

https://www.screwfix.com/p/combi-straight-filling-loop/46605

But if you're not sure if or how that fits your boiler you're going to need to pay for someones expertise.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Is This Quote Fair?’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HHarry wrote: »
    Well a basic 'standard' filling loop is £9 from Screwfix

https://www.screwfix.com/p/combi-straight-filling-loop/46605

But if you're not sure if or how that fits your boiler you're going to need to pay for someones expertise.

Pretty much this. Labour depends on where you are.

The guys who replaced my bathroom replaced mine (twice, the first leaked!) when the did the bathroom for no aditional cost (and also replaced an odd pipe in the loft lifted about a foot up for no good reason! (again no cost). But of course you are only asking for this and little jobs cost more (relitively).
  • nofoollikeold
    nofoollikeold Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Some of the Vaillants have a built in filling loop. Changing them (a not infrequent requirement) requires replacing the loop itself and the valves, and if I remember correctly, requiring a boiler drain down. The last time I did it I seem to remember the parts were the better part of £100, and the job took about an hour.
  • plumberpaig
    plumberpaig Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just as a comparison, when I was working as a plumber (retired now) I used to supply and fit Magna Cleans for £150.

They cost me £80.

I would advise getting a handy man in to save yourself about £75.
  • plumberpaig
    plumberpaig Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you're in Paignton, give me a shout :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure