Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    lou_lou_ wrote: »
    My argument is: If I bought a top online and they sent me one slightly different version (and I didn't like it), id send that back and that would be the norm. Why anyone thinks its ok as a consumer to purchase something in advance, have changes made to the item (however small) and then be told I cant send it back is bizarre!

Departure/arrival times do not form part of your contract with the airline. If you don't like the contract then don't agree to it. I don't use holiday companies like TUI because they reserve the right to change schedules up to 12 hours.
  • jpsartre
    Forumite
    Yeah, most airlines reserve the right to make changes but many (e.g. BA, KLM, Brussels Airlines) will let you cancel for a refund if the change is more than 2 hours and will offer to rebook if the change is less than that. Wouldn't have made a difference in your case but it's better than the 12 hour rule imposed by TUI, Thomas Cook, etc.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Forumite
    All airlines seem to have the same terms and conditions. so unless we all buy private planes for ourselves we are in a head lock!

different airlines have different definitions of what constitutes a major change and allows you to cancel for full refund. Many airlines will give refund if the change is over 2 hours (but TUI state 12 hours) there are possibly airlines that would allow you to cancel for a change less than 2 hours but you would need to check the conditions of carriage.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It doesn't matter if its half an hour, 2 hours or 5 hours its not the time I wanted to land! If I wanted a 2am landing I would have bought a flight with a 2am landing.

My argument is: If I bought a top online and they sent me one slightly different version (and I didn't like it), id send that back and that would be the norm. Why anyone thinks its ok as a consumer to purchase something in advance, have changes made to the item (however small) and then be told I cant send it back is bizarre!

I was risking buying that flight in the first place, as i have to be in Devon for 6am (from Birmingham) and now its completely messed up.

Annoying beyond belief.

So you were always going to be cutting it very fine, and would be scuppered by any delay.
  • Do you know an address to send the letter to thanks
  • Hi,

I recently flew with TUI from Glasgow to Chambery, France on a flight that was delayed by 4 hours. We were due to transfer by coach to Tignes shortly after landing however, due to the delay, we'd missed it and had to wait a further 3 hours for the next coach. In addition we then had to travel in rush hour (with accidents) which turned a 2.5 hour journey into 7 hours. As a result we effectively lost the first day of our holiday.

I understand that we can claim compensation from the airline (TUI), for delays over 3 hours, of 250EUR for journeys less than 1500km and 400EUR for journeys between 1500km-3500km but I'm unsure if anything can be claimed from TUI (or our travel insurance) for the knock on effects the flight delay had on the rest of our journey? Also whilst our flight was approx 1400km, our final destination was over 1500km from Glasgow, does this mean we can claim for 400EUR or is the distance only related to the effected flight?

Thanks for any help provided!

Regards,

Scott
  • jpsartre
    Forumite
    MacTowas wrote: »
    I'm unsure if anything can be claimed from TUI (or our travel insurance) for the knock on effects the flight delay had on the rest of our journey?

Not under EU regulations but the terms and conditions of your booking and your policy may offer something. You'll need to see what they say.

As for the flight, whether you can claim EU compensation or not depends on why your flight was delayed. The relevant distance would be from Glasgow airport to Chambery airport.
  • mooretr
    mooretr Posts: 10 Forumite
    CEDR Deadline for payment passed yesterday with ZERO contact from TUI. Have fired off emails to CEDR / TUI and CAA today. I'm not going away quietly!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,084
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mooretr wrote: »
    CEDR Deadline for payment passed yesterday with ZERO contact from TUI. Have fired off emails to CEDR / TUI and CAA today. I'm not going away quietly!
    No surprise there then.
    Make your email to TUI an NBA with legal action to follow in 2weeks (as long as you are prepared to take legal action for recovery)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • tinmachine
    tinmachine Posts: 89
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I booked package holiday with Thomsons. Return flight was delayed for nearly four hours with no explanation. I contacted Thomsons for compensation and they have replied stating they are unable to help me as my flight was with Hi Fly. I find this very odd, as the flight home should have been a Thomson flight. I booked the package holiday with Thomson and now they are trying to shift the blame to Hi Fly, who Thomson replaced with my original flight. Any advice welcomed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback