PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No Drop Kerb - can lender refuse mortgage?

Hi Experts,
I am in the process of buying a house. I am a first time buyer.

The driveway has no drop kerb and I am okay with this.
I have told my solicitors that as long as I can get permissions from the council I will do it myself after moving into the property.

Today received an email from my solicitor saying that I need to pay for an indemnity insurance otherwise my lender may not approve the mortgage!

"As you are aware, there are no rights of way to pass over the pavement to access the driveway. I requested that the sellers provide an indemnity policy to remedy this situation however they have refused. I will need to notify the lender that there are no rights of access, however they are more likely to provide their consent, if an indemnity policy is in place. Therefore, please advise if you are willing to pay for the costs .............."

I am struggling to understand how this can be relevant to the lender now at this stage. The lender has done the valuation at the beginning and approved the mortgage based on that report. I have also paid extra for the full building survey.

I dont mind paying extra couple of hundred for this insurance policy if it is really a legal requirement.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    What do you mean "do it yourself" ? Do you mean arrange it yourself via the council or do you mean do the digging etc and lower the kerb yourself ?

What would the indemnity policy actually provide ? It cant actually lower the kerb, obviously. I wonder if it's more for the solicitor to prove that they advised against buy8ng without a dropped kerb?
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Your solicitor also acts for the lender so has a duty to inform them of any unresolved issues which may affect value or saleability.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The driveway has no drop kerb and I am okay with this.
    So you don't have a driveway. You have a front garden that's been paved. Which you can't drive into.
    I have told my solicitors that as long as I can get permissions from the council I will do it myself after moving into the property.
    OK, but what if you can't get permission?
    (BTW, you know you can't DIY it? You can only pay the council's approved contractors? Not your land...)
    Today received an email from my solicitor saying that I need to pay for an indemnity insurance otherwise my lender may not approve the mortgage!
    As you are aware, there are no rights of way to pass over the pavement to access the driveway. I requested that the sellers provide an indemnity policy to remedy this situation however they have refused. I will need to notify the lender that there are no rights of access, however they are more likely to provide their consent, if an indemnity policy is in place. Therefore, please advise if you are willing to pay for the costs .............."
    Read what your solicitor is actually saying, not what you think he's saying.

He's saying he needs to tell them. Well, OK, but will they care?
    He's saying they are "more likely" to provide "consent" (but consent to what?) with an indemnity in place.

He's not saying they won't lend. He's saying they might be more likely to consent to something unidentified if there's an insurance policy in place.

But let's go back a step... What is the indemnity policy for? What will it do? It won't grant vehicular access over a non-dropped kerb. It won't drop the kerb. It won't pay for the costs of doing either of those, either. What WILL it pay out for? To sue the vendor for there being no vehicular access? No. So...? Apart from being a nice little earner for the insurer and the solicitor, what IS the benefit in it?
    I am struggling to understand how this can be relevant to the lender now at this stage. The lender has done the valuation at the beginning and approved the mortgage based on that report. I have also paid extra for the full building survey.
    If they've had a valuation, and confirmed that they're happy to lend, then the valuer would have noticed the lack of a drop kerb, and would have valued it based on not having off-road parking. The lender are happy.
    I dont mind paying extra couple of hundred for this insurance policy if it is really a legal requirement.
    It isn't.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If they've had a valuation, and confirmed that they're happy to lend, then the valuer would have noticed the lack of a drop kerb, and would have valued it based on not having off-road parking.
    I wouldn't bet on it. Solicitor will hopefully have a copy of the valuation and be able to check whether they've assumed it has the benefit of off-road parking.
  • The issue is poster doesn’t give full story like value and location.
    In some places driveway adds £10k value in others £250k so of course, if you were the lender would you magic off 1/4million, I wouldn’t.

Nobody will steal your house if you post more relevant details.
  • Thanks everyone!

Sorry for that confusing "I will do it myself" sentence. I actually meant that I will get it done through the council and bear the cost of it.

Fortunately, I have a copy of the valuation report and it says..
    Legal advisor to ensure appropriate rights of way and management arrangements for the shared vehicular and pedestrian access.

So it looks like the solicitor is doing what he is supposed to do....correct me if I am wrong here.

The main term of the insurance policy is..
    Known Risk Easement - Vehicular and Pedestrian Access: The Insured is prevented by the legal owner of the access way from exercising a right of way on foot and/or by vehicle to gain access to the Land.

What if I deny to pay for the insurance and ask the vendor to get required permission from the council.

@Alan2020
    Sorry Alan, Its not about someone stealing my house... its not even my house yet!
    I am just not sure what level/type of information I can provided in a public forum. This is a semi detached house at the end of a cul de sac road in Stechford, Birmingham. Please let me know if you need any more info.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    AdrianC wrote: »
    But let's go back a step... What is the indemnity policy for? What will it do? It won't grant vehicular access over a non-dropped kerb. It won't drop the kerb. It won't pay for the costs of doing either of those, either. What WILL it pay out for? To sue the vendor for there being no vehicular access? No. So...? Apart from being a nice little earner for the insurer and the solicitor, what IS the benefit in it?
    The solicitor seems focussed on the dropped kerb, but depending on when the driveway was built there may be still enforceable planning or building regulation contraventions (in relation to the driveway) for the OP (and lender) to consider the risk of.

The lack of a dropped kerb may be an indicator the driveway itself is not consented work (if required).
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • AdrianC
    The main term of the insurance policy is..
    Known Risk Easement - Vehicular and Pedestrian Access: The Insured is prevented by the legal owner of the access way from exercising a right of way on foot and/or by vehicle to gain access to the Land.
    Well, that's lovely, an' all, but how much does it pay out to cover what expenses?
    What if I deny to pay for the insurance and ask the vendor to get required permission from the council.
    And what if he says "no"...?
    This is a semi detached house at the end of a cul de sac road
    And is there any reason why the council would refuse permission? What's it going to do to the on-road parking? Have the neighbours got drop kerbs? No junctions or the like nearby?

Post a link, and we can see what the environs are like, and whether there's anything likely to be a problem.
  • raselmahbub
    raselmahbub Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 15 February 2019 at 12:33AM
    Thanks Adrian.
    Well, that's lovely, an' all, but how much does it pay out to cover what expenses?
    Policy Amount: £220,000.00
    Additional Exclusions This policy does not cover the costs and expenses, in all instances,
    associated with the maintenance, repair, resurfacing and/or improvement of the land used for access or any dispute arising out of a failure to pay or contribute (in whole or part) to the maintenance, repair, resurfacing and/or improvement of the land used for access.
    Period of Insurance: In perpetuity

And what if he says "no"...?
    Well, I am willing to pay for the job, all I want the vendor to do is apply. If he says no, I dont know, probably I will apply myself to see if the council has any issues with this...

Ah... wait, I actually did email the council regarding this and their reply was...

"Without a site visit and proper assessment we cannot give a definite decision. There appears, from looking at Google Maps, to be a streetlight in the footpath which would need to be re-sited if a dropped kerb were to be provided. The cost for this would be approximately £1800 plus the cost of the dropped kerb, which is likely to be in the region of £1000-£1200"

Property link:
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4891762,-1.8083143,3a,75y,232.24h,88.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slVnULRIKRiJtNdzNVWWxHw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In this street view its all grass, but the vendor has recently paved the whole front.
  • AdrianC
    OK, so now we know that (as suspected) the indemnity won't pay for doing the work. We still don't know what it will pay for... But it'll pay £220k max. Woo.

Anyway, if you've actually approached the council already, then usually that'll rule out any indemnity against them taking action.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure