saving my future self from debt

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    As you say a very sobering reminder of why we all need an emmergency fund.
    Hope your DH is ok now.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've really enjoyed reading your diary and have subscribed.

I don't think there's much you need to learn from these boards as your budgeting skills are excellent.. Also you come over as a true minimalist so well done you!:j

Looking forward to reading more and good luck with raising the rent money!

P.S. I'm a BIG fan of having an EF as well!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Loving your diary and especially your background behind it all.

Vegan and GF, that must be fun. I've got a Vegetarian DD who likes only minimal vegetables. That makes life interesting too.

Understand kids costs even when older. Neither my 15yo or 18yo have p-time jobs. Younger one is limited unless she did a paper-round where we'd have safety concerns. Older one could look for something but has varying reasons/excuses as to why, some of which I agree with such as his college being very disorganised and giving assignments at the last minute with very short dead-lines. I'd heard negative things about his college before he applied there, from previous students and staff and didn't want him to go, but got over-ruled by DH and DS due to it's locality. Some of his other reasons I don't agree with though.

Looking forward to reading your journey

Thanks Spendless - DD has been GF since the age of 8 or 9 due to digestive issues. I thought that was bad enough bud adding vegan into the mix meant relearning how to cook and getting a much more detailed grip on understanding nutritional requirements. It also means thinking ahead before going out anywhere. Luckily it's a lot more on trend nowadays.

Kids and money - I'd be rich without them!
    Goal:to save £16,000 by 30/09/2019 claw back rental costs
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    As you say a very sobering reminder of why we all need an emmergency fund.
    Hope your DH is ok now.
    Thanks Beanielou. Sadly DHs leukaemia has recently returned, being a blood cancer you can't destroy it totally but he is more prepared for it this time and living by the sea helps enormously with his state of mind.
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    I've really enjoyed reading your diary and have subscribed.

I don't think there's much you need to learn from these boards as your budgeting skills are excellent.. Also you come over as a true minimalist so well done you!:j

Looking forward to reading more and good luck with raising the rent money!

P.S. I'm a BIG fan of having an EF as well!

Aww - thanks Seasidegal58, feel a bit chuffed now :) Budgeting skills come from an impressively frugal mother and a family of savers. Having a keen interest in spreadsheets helps too ;) and simple living is definitely the way to be. it frees the mind and liberates the soul x
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • beanielou
    Options
    Thanks Beanielou. Sadly DHs leukaemia has recently returned, being a blood cancer you can't destroy it totally but he is more prepared for it this time and living by the sea helps enormously with his state of mind.

Sorry to hear that :(

A friends husband had a stem cell treatment but I did not realise you could not kill it completely.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• pennyforthepot
    pennyforthepot Posts: 652 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2018 at 5:04PM
    Options
    Thanks for all the lovely responses guys - I'm feeling loved.

Fairly harmless day MS wise:

£4.15 Tesco spend. Was hoping for a NSD and decided to wait until the beginning of the month before I do my big batch cook. Digging deep into the depths of the fridge to pull something together but couldn't do it without buying a carrot, onion and value tinned toms, totalling 50p - add lentils, spices a manky half courgette and half a pepper and ta da - dinner is served :D Rest of money went on DDs toothpaste on offer ( I now have 5 tubes - aiming for 10) and more cereal - half price)

Free olive :)

£80 - daily available spend

£2.27 electricity

Use it up challenge: made gram flour flatbreads - hit with DD. Used up 1 portion (5 remaining) of buckwheat soba noodles. EPIC fail. They all stuck together so DD left half of them. I tried them and it was like someone had sneezed in my mouth (sorry to offend!). However as I have a zero food waste rule in my home I have chopped them up and added them to my Dahl :eek: including my half a sweet potato I would put a rough cost of around 50p a portion. Highly nutritious too.

Did a little cost analysis on my dried chickpeas once cooked,over tinned. I was surprised that they weren't as cost effective as I expected. Around half the price of a tin of Tesco drained chick peas at 25p per 240g against 55p. Not sure how much my electricity cost but given the hob was quite high for one and a half hours - it's got to be a good 10p +

Also did a little analysis on my coffee consumption as I've recently got into the habit of drinking an extra cup in the morning - 10p, that's £36 a year - outrageous :)

Signing off now. Going to get a life :o

PFTP X
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that :(

A friends husband had a stem cell treatment but I did not realise you could not kill it completely.

Stem cell treatment is one of the only ways you can destroy it but it's not widely available (normally have to go abroad, get on a trial or pay for it) and has a high risk associated to it. I think bone marrow transplant is the other. He got on a trial first time round but unfortunately as it was random he ended up in the chemo group, this time I think it's tablets. He's lucky he's young (comparative) as its normally found in the older generation so he has a stronger immune system and is not fighting off any other illness alongside
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • beanielou
    Options
    This man was only in his early fifties.

• jubilee63
    jubilee63 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just read your diary and just wanted to say that you have a lovely natural writing style. i am already looking forward to reading further posts. Good luck with saving the amount you need to claw back...i have a feeling you will manage this as you seem determined and your previous posts reveal tenacity and a good sense of humour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure