Buy nothing for a month challenge

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 13 August 2011 at 3:45PM
    rictus123 wrote: »
    Whats everyone upto tonight? Think its a night in with gf at her house tonight...walk,tea,film then to finish iv been promised a massage :D

A massage is one thing id love to budget for and go for once a month or once every 6 weeks but its £1 a minute!!! Not worth it i say!

Careful now...you save money by not paying for a massage....but end up with additional cost when the massage leads to 'other' things. I speak from experience here...I have two daughters to prove it.:rotfl:

Update : Days 12 & 13 = NSDs
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    No chance Firewyrm...i just fall asleep after it ;) Haha learning to budget for myself properly and get myself very financaly secure before i even think about any little mini me's!

Should be a nice cosy night anyway....at the back of my mind il be thinking get in, £1,450 banked this month :D
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    i just fall asleep after it ;)

Typical man....:rotfl:

Haha learning to budget for myself properly and get myself very financaly secure before i even think about any little mini me's!

Yes, that's what my husband said too....twice.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Hey im new here :)
    Ive just got back from a holiday from Newquay with the family so am going to start this challenge from Monday. It is such a genius idea, hopefully it will help me clear my debts alot quicker.
  • Monkeynut
    Monkeynut Posts: 2,116 Forumite
    Had to make a few little spends over the weekend to make a friends birthday present, however at the start of the month we knew we would have to spend out for a present, and have actually saved money by making it, and still have some of the materials left, so plenty to make another for someone else, or I'm thinking of taking pics of what I've made and putting it on Ebay, so if it sells I can quickly make another one, and will have made the money back that was spent on the materials. :D
    Half of November Make £10 a Day Challenge: £51/ £170
  • Poppycat1
    Poppycat1 Posts: 376 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    8 NSD days, 2 low spend days and 3 grocery/petrol only days. My broadband dongle broke last week so had to pay parking (£1.30) in the city to get a new one.

I need to catch up on the last few days but it seems it is going well for most. Good luck for the rest of the month.
    Without overpayments: 15 years, 1 monthsBecause of overpayments: 10 years, 10 months left until paid off
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    I managed it! Went to the quilt show at the NEC and didn't open my purse once! Almost parted with £1, but talked myself out of it. I took my packed lunch etc in a rucksack, and as I queued to show my entry ticket (bought before this challenge!) I saw a sign saying "No rucksacks". So I nearly checked it in to left luggage, but it cost £1 to do so - no way, especially as I would have had to check it out and back in again at lunch time. So I just carried it around by its top handle like a shopping bag.

Anyway, later a message came over the PA to say you could have them as long as not on your back - they perceived a risk of quilts being knocked off their stands.

It was a good show - some stunning art quilts and amazing traditional work. So much to see that in my 6 hours there I didn't manage to see everything (this helped with the challenge, as what got missed was most of the sales area!)
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Hi Rictus. This is an amazing challenge. I'll join in, sort of, if I may. I decided that for the month of August, I wasn't going to waste money, so that's slightly different from yours. I can't be as strict as you but so far this month I've made a real effort to cut down on food shopping (hello Lidl, haven't told OH and he hasn't noticed!) and just generally not to waste money. I have bought a dress in the sale but that is going back to the shop. I'll step up my efforts for the rest of the month. I have £200 in the bank and £40 in my purse. My main expenditure yet to be paid for is around £100 on diesel (to get to work), ooh, maybe I could look into getting the coach. Look, this challenge is getting to me! It would be amazing for me to get to the end of the month with something (anything) left in my account.

Keep up the wonderful work. You're an inspiration.
    Clothes challenge 2011 £254.08/£500!!!
    Toiletries challenge 2011 Trying!
    :j:T:j
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Everyone is more than welcome to join and together hopefully we can start achieving things so if things pop up in future we are no longer "too skint" to join in. Bills will all be paid in full and on time. As it stands I have a debt free date of 23rd December....hoping to somehow manage a miracle and have another 3 months like this, get debt free then have the best Christmas of my life :D keep going guys, almost half way !
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • My main expenditure yet to be paid for is around £100 on diesel (to get to work)

I had a long drive yesterday and today so I made a point of getting diesel at the supermarket (much cheaper than on the motorway) before setting off. Also keeping the mpg display on.

I've been doing Martin's suggestion of only filling up about half to keep weight down for ages. Don't know if it helps, but it feels good! :rotfl:
    challenges : AFD : SNC :
    Ebay/ Amazon : £29 + £6 +
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family